Maruti Suzuki Celerio Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello guys

Just relocated to Raipur from Kolkata. Searching for a replacement for my good old celerio which has run 47k kms and still under extended warranty. While my swift will be kept in Kolkata to be used by my parents.

Criteria :

Type : Hatch/Compact Sedan / Compact SUV
Price range: 8 - 9 lakhs (preferably)
Fuel : Petrol only if maruti , honda otherwise diesel

Features wanted :
Dual airbags , ABS , EBD (mandatory)
Electrically adjustable ORVMs (mandatory)
Good Boot space (essential)
Good Ac (essential)
Rear adjustable headrests (very much wanted)
Touch screen (good to have)
Isofix (good to have)
Rear defogger (good to have)
DRL (good to have)

Cars I am considering :

1. Nexon XM Diesel OTR (Raipur) ~ 8.55L , missing out on XZ+ features particularly DRL (can be added as accessory?) touch screen, roof rails, "Should I buy a tata" doubts

2. Baleno Alpha petrol - 8.63 OTR , getting everything . probs : tinny build quality. "just a bigger swift". Horrible shiny alloys. Waiting period of atleast 3 months!!

Baleno zeta petrol ? 7.83 Otr ` Maybe? Saves some money.

3. Xcent Sx crdi - Was really planning for this . But problems with A/C putting me off.
Otr ~ 8.23

4. i20 Sportz crdi ~ 8.79 Otr - Dont see any real advantage over xcent. Xcent provides more boot space , rear sensors , camera ,rear adjustable headrests,and touch screen display.

5. Honda Jaaz Privilege edition petrol - is it still available?? ticks all the right boxes except underwhelming petrol engine , no rear adjustable headrests ,OTR- 8.45
Vx petrol - get rear headrests with magic seats , but AVN unit sucks. ~ 9 L otr
Jazz SV diesel ? - missing out on rear wiper ,touch display rear headrests ~ 9.5 OTR

Discounts on honda jazz - 25k , plus first year free insurance.

6. Brezza - VDI(o) - like this car a lot . Slightly more expensive .9.5 L OTR. Not getting touchscreen , rear defogger!! , DRL

New Dzire : Not considered as I dont like the looks at all (particularly from the front)

Ford aspire - lots of reported problems

opinions please.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Celerio Replacement

Hello guys

Just relocated to Raipur from Kolkata. Searching for a replacement for my good old celerio which has run 47k kms and still under extended warranty.
Cars I am considering :

1. Nexon XM Diesel OTR (Raipur) ~ 8.55L , missing out on XZ+ features particularly DRL (can be added as accessory?) touch screen, roof rails, "Should I buy a tata" doubts
Buddy, I consider myself as the example here who sold off a trusted and reliable 10.5 year old Esteem and opted for a Tata Tigor Petrol XZO. It will surely not be easy for anyone to do away with a Maruti and opt for TATA. But, if you compare on product basis then surely TATA's present line up and VFM factor makes a lot of sense. You can safely go for Nexon Diesel or if you want another option then wait for the Ford Eco Sport. My Tigor is completing 2200 kms and honestly I use my Tigor more than my Honda CITY Ivtec.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Id say no to any new model regardless of brand especially Mahindra and Tata purely because 1st gen always has niggles and issues that get ironed out gradually towards a facelift
I was eyeing the recent launches by all brands and honestly nothing made me excited coming from my City IVTEC
10.5 year old car regardless of brand will obviously fade in front of any new model
There is no comparison between IVTEC and Tata's revtron, 1.5 IVTEC is far more refined and one of the best,proven engines in India right now
After sales experience of non-Japanese brands, Asian or even Ford to a large extent is largely acclaimed and other brands like Tata are getting there but still hit or miss experiences
Honestly Id take proper test drives, opt for cars that have been in the market for a while(facelifted ones preferred because all problems are nullified by then), You dont want to end up like Aria buyers

1. Nexon- Risky at this point because new product, new engine , unknown reliability, resale and maintenance hit and miss concerns. On paper vfm but I personally found front seat comfort very odd, clutch was too springy for my taste. Reminds me of some Fiat cars in this sense. Back seat is very comfy, pricing is very good but not enough to get me to buy a Tata product until QC and A.S.S is brought up

4. While its odd to compare sub 4m CUVs to hatchbacks, i20 suspension setup,engines , maintenance, reliability etc are very good. Its far more premium than Xcent, space is the only pro of the latter. Somewhat like Scorpio vs XUV500, Sumo vs Hexa comparison

5. If opting for Jazz, which is a fantastic car if not for the odd engine choices, go for the 1.2 IVTEC + CVT but Ecosport is a better buy

6. Brezza might get facelifted/updated and is a bit outdated at the moment. My brother has one and is very happy with it but we might go for Ecosport next

Ecosport is easily the car to watch for
Ford has won my attention with its uprising in quality, after sales etc

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
10.5 year old car regardless of brand will obviously fade in front of any new model
There is no comparison between IVTEC and Tata's revtron, 1.5 IVTEC is far more refined and one of the best,proven engines in India right now
It is not about the technical or mechanical merits of both cars & brands. It was, for me, about investing my trust on a equally respected & reputed Indian brand after owning Maruti. I am trying to help the OP clear his doubts about investing his trust & money in another brand apart from Maruti.

--Akash

Last edited:
The new Ford Ecosport looks promising after the variants details leaked. Pretty well laid out variant wise feature list. Also not to forget good discounts on the outgoing Ecosport to clear the stocks.
Ford Figo Diesel is also a good car with a pretty good engine but have headlights reflector issues.
Tata Nexon and Tigor are also viable options on your budget.
Thankfully you left the Dzire out (i too hate the front end too). The upcoming Swift has better and sporty front end.
If Hyundai is a consideration, get a Diesel Grand i10 or the i20.
Baleno Alpha is a good replacement but try to get a feel of its driving position. You can consider the Ignis Alpha also (just in case)
I guess you need to go out on a test driving spree and look for good deals. If you plan to exchange your Celerio for a new car you better get started as the dealers quote very low for exchange and you need not to hurry and slowly you will end up with a sweet deal.

Luckily i have a couple of years left till i end up super confused for the replacement of my Celerio. But if i were you, i would start looking for good deals after a test drive. But i have my eyes set on the new Ecosport as of now. (Ecosport AT in my case)

Hello guys

Just relocated to Raipur from Kolkata. Searching for a replacement for my good old celerio which has run 47k kms and still under extended warranty. While my swift will be kept in Kolkata to be used by my parents.

Criteria :

Type : Hatch/Compact Sedan / Compact SUV
Price range: 8 - 9 lakhs (preferably)
Fuel : Petrol only if maruti , honda otherwise diesel

Features wanted :
Dual airbags , ABS , EBD (mandatory)
Electrically adjustable ORVMs (mandatory)
Good Boot space (essential)
Good Ac (essential)
Rear adjustable headrests (very much wanted)
Touch screen (good to have)
Isofix (good to have)
Rear defogger (good to have)
DRL (good to have)

Cars I am considering :

2. Baleno Alpha petrol - 8.63 OTR , getting everything . probs : tinny build quality. "just a bigger swift". Horrible shiny alloys. Waiting period of atleast 3 months!!

Baleno zeta petrol ? 7.83 Otr ` Maybe? Saves some money.

3. Xcent Sx crdi - Was really planning for this . But problems with A/C putting me off.
Otr ~ 8.23

4. i20 Sportz crdi ~ 8.79 Otr - Dont see any real advantage over xcent. Xcent provides more boot space , rear sensors , camera ,rear adjustable headrests,and touch screen display.

5. Honda Jaaz Privilege edition petrol - is it still available?? ticks all the right boxes except underwhelming petrol engine , no rear adjustable headrests ,OTR- 8.45
Vx petrol - get rear headrests with magic seats , but AVN unit sucks. ~ 9 L otr
Jazz SV diesel ? - missing out on rear wiper ,touch display rear headrests ~ 9.5 OTR

Discounts on honda jazz - 25k , plus first year free insurance.

6. Brezza - VDI(o) - like this car a lot . Slightly more expensive .9.5 L OTR. Not getting touchscreen , rear defogger!! , DRL

New Dzire : Not considered as I dont like the looks at all (particularly from the front)

Ford aspire - lots of reported problems

opinions please.
If you are looking for PETROL then Hyundai i20 ASTA(O) fits in your budget. i20 is a good product with loads of features. The INDIAN version of this car is EURO NCAP 4 star rated.

Baleno petrol is good but the Fit and Finish is little bit below i20. Else both the cars are almost same.

Honda JAZZ is good car but not sold in numbers, so doubtful about its existence.

For Diesel, FORD FIGO is the best option to go for. There are 2 variants to choose from first the regular FIGO and second the FIGO SPORTS. Both are based on the different taste of customers. The biggest advantage is top end variant comes at cheaper price as compared to BALENO or i20. This car does not has features like BALENO or i20 but this more lean toward driving pleasure. Also FORD has lower all the cost to service and spares, which is really a competitive to MS and HYUNDAI.

Other option comes to my brain, is FIAT Punto EVO 90HP, another strong and powerful diesel car.

My suggestion is to list down your exact shortlisting criteria and take a test drive of everything you finalize.

Second thought, you have a pretty descent budget to buy a quality hatchback, so better to buy a top end variant with all features rather than going up segment and buying a lower variant with less features.

Thread Starter #7
I was really really rooting for Nexon , but now I am not sure. At my budget XT Diesel comes to 9.26 L OTR. But still missing front fog lamps , defogger!! , and rear adjustable headrests. Fog lamps I can add as accessory , but I cannot accept absent defogger when I am paying 9L for a car. XZ Plus petrol for 9.6L. Not sure whether I should pay that much for a petrol engine.

The new Ford Ecosport looks promising after the variants details leaked. Pretty well laid out variant wise feature list. Also not to forget good discounts on the outgoing Ecosport to clear the stocks.
Ford Figo Diesel is also a good car with a pretty good engine but have headlights reflector issues.
Ecosport (diesel) is I think beyond my budget.

I also considered Figo Aspire , but i am seriously concerned about the left side drifting issue of Figo and Fords callous approach towards the problem. Otherwise Aspire would have fit most of my criteria.

Buddy, I consider myself as the example here who sold off a trusted and reliable 10.5 year old Esteem and opted for a Tata Tigor Petrol XZO. It will surely not be easy for anyone to do away with a Maruti and opt for TATA. But, if you compare on product basis then surely TATA's present line up and VFM factor makes a lot of sense. You can safely go for Nexon Diesel or if you want another option then wait for the Ford Eco Sport. My Tigor is completing 2200 kms and honestly I use my Tigor more than my Honda CITY Ivtec.

Regards

Akash
Tigor is an interesting out of the box option for sure. Concerned about drivability. How will the petrol appear to someone who drives the swift 1.2? What f.e. are you getting?

If you are looking for PETROL then Hyundai i20 ASTA(O) fits in your budget. i20 is a good product with loads of features. The INDIAN version of this car is EURO NCAP 4 star rated.

For Diesel, FORD FIGO is the best option to go for. There are 2 variants to choose from first the regular FIGO and second the FIGO SPORTS. Both are based on the different taste of customers. The biggest advantage is top end variant comes at cheaper price as compared to BALENO or i20. This car does not has features like BALENO or i20 but this more lean toward driving pleasure. Also FORD has lower all the cost to service and spares, which is really a competitive to MS and HYUNDAI.

Other option comes to my brain, is FIAT Punto EVO 90HP, another strong and powerful diesel car.
Not sure about hyundai petrols bro as concerned with excessively low fuel economy.
Figo - left side drifting issue. See here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEbNUKKOhIM
Visited MS Sky automobiles and also Sky Nexa ..Brezza Vdi(o) has 4-5 m waiting period , baleno petrol has atleast 3 months.[roll]

kkn13

Suspended
Tiago/Tigor engines are nothing like Swift's engines
Being 3 cylinder, both diesel and petrol are very noisy, require frequent gear changes

Figo's 1.2 petrol isnt very exciting either but its well powered
Issues can occur in any car, but overall QC of Ford is better for now and I see them rapidly advancing towards reaching one of the more popular brands in India

See if you are buying petrol, dont expect much FE
Go for diesel Figo or i20 diesel if you want good FE with good driveability, maintenance, refinement etc
They are proven engines at this point and all niggles from 1st batch are ruled out now

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Tigor is an interesting out of the box option for sure. Concerned about drivability. How will the petrol appear to someone who drives the swift 1.2? What f.e. are you getting?
Well buddy prior to Tigor I was driving an Esteem 1.3 L and shifting to Tigor was a experiment which till now has proved positive. In my 2 months of ownership, the car has been driven around 2200 kms and the FE comes between 12 to 12.3 km/L in city mode with AC ON. Compared to MSIL Swift 1.2 yes the refinement levels do differ but as an individual product, I have not faced any issue in driving. It is a simple, non complicated car for me. Frankly, taking feedback from Tiago Petrol, Tigor Petrol is much more refined in performance and NVH.

Regards

Akash

I was really really rooting for Nexon , but now I am not sure. At my budget XT Diesel comes to 9.26 L OTR. But still missing front fog lamps , defogger!! , and rear adjustable headrests. Fog lamps I can add as accessory , but I cannot accept absent defogger when I am paying 9L for a car. XZ Plus petrol for 9.6L. Not sure whether I should pay that much for a petrol engine.

Ecosport (diesel) is I think beyond my budget.

I also considered Figo Aspire , but i am seriously concerned about the left side drifting issue of Figo and Fords callous approach towards the problem. Otherwise Aspire would have fit most of my criteria.

Not sure about hyundai petrols bro as concerned with excessively low fuel economy.
Figo - left side drifting issue. See here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEbNUKKOhIM
Visited MS Sky automobiles and also Sky Nexa ..Brezza Vdi(o) has 4-5 m waiting period , baleno petrol has atleast 3 months.[roll]
If this is general problem in the car and mostly occurred then buyers should report directly to FORD INDIA. They may recall the steering rack system for those cars.

Baleno petrol is good but the Fit and Finish is little bit below i20. Else both the cars are almost same.

Honda JAZZ is good car but not sold in numbers, so doubtful about its existence.

My suggestion is to list down your exact shortlisting criteria and take a test drive of everything you finalize.

Second thought, you have a pretty descent budget to buy a quality hatchback, so better to buy a top end variant with all features rather than going up segment and buying a lower variant with less features.

I20 petrol is not even suggested by Hyundai sales advisors. If it is diesel then i20 is superb.

And regarding honda jazz , it is selling around 3000 cars per month and the one you suggested ford figo has only around 1000 per month. Whose existence is questionable here.

ford figo got 0 stars in recent latin ncap . so safety wise also not recommendable.

Honda jazz is very good option. if budget not constraint look honda city too.

Balenos have suspension issues.

Nexon is a new comer. Please wait for atleast a year since all new cars will have inital niggles.

Thread Starter #12
Honda jazz is very good option. if budget not constraint look honda city too.

Balenos have suspension issues.

Nexon is a new comer. Please wait for atleast a year since all new cars will have inital niggles.
Do you own a jazz? petrol or diesel? how is the petrol's drivability? I am thinking of Privilege edition.Is it still available?

If this is general problem in the car and mostly occurred then buyers should report directly to FORD INDIA. They may recall the steering rack system for those cars.
After going through a few Ford figo/aspire ownership reviews , I have come accross owners facing these problems..

1. Headlamp reflector burning issue
2. Left side drifting
3. AC drain problem
4. Excessive tyre noise with MRF tyres (particularly in diesel)
5.MID warning problems
6. Glove compartment poor quality hinge (solved?)
7. Engine noise issue
8. Drivability is not as good??

Otherwise Aspire would have fit my requirements perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you own a jazz? petrol or diesel? how is the petrol's drivability? I am thinking of Privilege edition.Is it still available?
I have petrol jazz. Driveability superb.initial low end will certainly lag a bit in traffic situations.but in highways it is superb. I think privilege edition will be available now too.space wise comfort wise engine wise it is far better than others.

kkn13

Suspended
I have petrol jazz. Driveability superb.initial low end will certainly lag a bit in traffic situations.but in highways it is superb. I think privilege edition will be available now too.space wise comfort wise engine wise it is far better than others.
Yeah I personally found the CVT version masked this lag much better
Very rev happy engine just like my City's 1.5 IVTEC

Thread Starter #15
I took a test drive of Baleno 1.2 Alpha today. I came away with the following observations -

1. Interiors - I felt swift is better! Particularly the dashboard plastics
2. Engine - Quite capable.
3. Rear bench ride quality - Suspension is definitely hard. More like my celerio . Swifts is much better. But its not as bad as I thought it would be from the reviews.

Rest were as per expectations. All in all I am not feeling too much excited about the Baleno.

Still on test drive list : Jazz , Aspire , Tigor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom