Buying My First Car: Maruti Swift VXi (O) or Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz Petrol?

Thread Starter #1
I want to purchase my first car (am looking for only Petrol car) in the budget of 6 to 6.5 Lakhs. I am considering my car to have the safety features like ABS and Airbags. I am confused to decide between Maruti Swift Vxi (O) versus Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz 2017

Bangalore On Road Prices:
Swift Vxi (O) - 7 Lakhs (approx, no discounts)
Grand i10 Sportz - 6.4 Lakhs (after dealer discounts)

The main things that is creating confusion was to decide between the "Safety" vs "Features"
Swift Vxi (o):
- ABS
- After sales service and better resale value
- Better Handling and Better Fuel Efficiency
Negative:
- A new Swift version is down the line, not sure if this is right time to buy a Swift that will gives older look in few months.
- Value for Money Proposition compared to Grand i10 offers in features.
- Heard that Breaking in Vxi variants of Swift is not at par with the Grand i10 Sportz.

Grand i10 Sportz 2017:
- Steering Mounted Volume Controls
- Reverse parking sensor
- Cooled glove box
- Rear AC Vents
- Better interiors
Negative:
- No ABS
- Resale value and A.S.S

Considering the budget I want to go with Grand i10.
But, I am ready to stretch my budget a bit and go with Swift if ABS is really a factor to consider between these two variants. I am not sure, if I can wait till next year for the new Swift. So considering that I will buy a new car this month what will be best choice between Swift and Grand i10.

To get the same feature that Grand i10 provides, I need to spend extra 80K on Swift Vxi. 3 years down the line, will I be able to compensate the extra bucks am spending on Swift comparing the A.S.S and Resale value of the Grand i10.

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Re: Buying My First Car: Swift Vxi(o) or Grand i10 Sportz Petrol

Hello buzzarnh, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com

I'll always stick to swift where the ABS is definitely a safety matter these days in higher powered cars.

On the A.S.S part of grand i10 and swift will be same as the new gen swift launch is in the corner.

Haggle with the Maruti dealer and get the discounts, if he's not budging then simply chuck him off and go to other dealer who'd already be cutting in a deal for you.

Thread Starter #3

Hello buzzarnh, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com

I'll always stick to swift where the ABS is definitely a safety matter these days in higher powered cars.

On the A.S.S part of grand i10 and swift will be same as the new gen swift launch is in the corner.

Haggle with the Maruti dealer and get the discounts, if he's not budging then simply chuck him off and go to other dealer who'd already be cutting in a deal for you.
Is it true that the breaking in Lxi/Vxi variants is not that great even with ABS that Grand i10 without ABS is at par with Vxi (ABS) ?

kkn13

Suspended

Grand i10 resale shouldnt be much of an issue imho, while it doesnt fetch as much as Maruti,Toyota or Honda, its better than any other brand in our market

As for after sales, I have Toyota, Honda, Hyundai cars while my brother has MS Brezza and XUV500
Let me tell you, Hyundai and the Japanese car makers have best after sales in our market. You can go for any car from Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Maruti , you wont face difficulty in reliability, maintenance costs, after sales, resale etc

I want to purchase my first car (am looking for only Petrol car) in the budget of 6 to 6.5 Lakhs. I am considering my car to have the safety features like ABS and Airbags. I am confused to decide between Maruti Swift Vxi (O) versus Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz 2017

Bangalore On Road Prices:
Swift Vxi (O) - 7 Lakhs (approx, no discounts)
Grand i10 Sportz - 6.4 Lakhs (after dealer discounts)

The main things that is creating confusion was to decide between the "Safety" vs "Features"
Swift Vxi (o):
- ABS
- After sales service and better resale value
- Better Handling and Better Fuel Efficiency
Negative:
- A new Swift version is down the line, not sure if this is right time to buy a Swift that will gives older look in few months.
- Value for Money Proposition compared to Grand i10 offers in features.
- Heard that Breaking in Vxi variants of Swift is not at par with the Grand i10 Sportz.

Grand i10 Sportz 2017:
- Steering Mounted Volume Controls
- Reverse parking sensor
- Cooled glove box
- Rear AC Vents
- Better interiors
Negative:
- No ABS
- Resale value and A.S.S

Considering the budget I want to go with Grand i10.
But, I am ready to stretch my budget a bit and go with Swift if ABS is really a factor to consider between these two variants. I am not sure, if I can wait till next year for the new Swift. So considering that I will buy a new car this month what will be best choice between Swift and Grand i10.

To get the same feature that Grand i10 provides, I need to spend extra 80K on Swift Vxi. 3 years down the line, will I be able to compensate the extra bucks am spending on Swift comparing the A.S.S and Resale value of the Grand i10.

Please advise, thanks in advance.
My advice - do not compromise on safety for features. Increase your budget slightly and get a baleno delta or in same budget Tiago xz.

I don't think if you buy the new swift it will be of any sense or the grand i10 as the facelift is on the line and after facelift of swift definitely i think Hyundai will also facelift the grand i10 and xcent. Dr.Rishabh has a valid point you can either book the baleno and bear the waiting period or you can have a look in pre owned there are plenty of choices.

IMO Grand i10 is very good but please get 2 airbags and ABS version (Asta). In braking department I have opposite experience than yours. While I felt Swift brakes were decent, Grand i10 breaks were very non-linear and not at all confidence inspiring.

According to your requirements if you want both safety and features around your budget Tiago XZ would be the best choice in Petrol and it also comes with ABS. Maintenance is cheap (I'm yet to spend a single rupee in 10 months). After sales and resale is much improved with the next gen cars compared to earlier. If your running is high consider a diesel car instead. Little stretch on the budget can give you Figo diesel which is among the best Diesel hatchback and best Diesel Engine in an hatchback. TD all cars before you buy.

Thread Starter #11
My advice - do not compromise on safety for features. Increase your budget slightly and get a baleno delta or in same budget Tiago xz.
The difference in price amount between baleno delta and grand i10 sportz comes to 1lakh. Becsue Hyundai is giving dealer discounts on grand i10. I have a fixed budget of 6 to 6.5 lakhs. I agree safety is important but spending extra 1 lakh and have a waiting period of min 2 months for baleno is it worth it?

According to your requirements if you want both safety and features around your budget Tiago XZ would be the best choice in Petrol and it also comes with ABS. Maintenance is cheap (I'm yet to spend a single rupee in 10 months). After sales and resale is much improved with the next gen cars compared to earlier. If your running is high consider a diesel car instead. Little stretch on the budget can give you Figo diesel which is among the best Diesel hatchback and best Diesel Engine in an hatchback. TD all cars before you buy.
I have requested for a tata tiago test drive. I personally thought of going with only Maruti or Hyundai. But I will try tata as per your recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended

Baleno has better engine, better space inside, better headlamps,better aftersales and better resale
If not for Baleno, Figo is also worth a look because Ford servicing costs are also good and they have improved considerably
After the Japs and Koreans, Ford is certainly worth a look imho

Thread Starter #13

IMO Grand i10 is very good but please get 2 airbags and ABS version (Asta). In braking department I have opposite experience than yours. While I felt Swift brakes were decent, Grand i10 breaks were very non-linear and not at all confidence inspiring.
I see that Grand i10 Asta comes with ABS without EBD. I see that Tata Tiago and other cars in Grand i10 price range has ABS with EBD. Does ABS without EBD is effective ?

I see that Grand i10 Asta comes with ABS without EBD. I see that Tata Tiago and other cars in Grand i10 price range has ABS with EBD.
EBD is Electronic Brake Distribution where the system gives in to the specific set of wheels where the pressure is more needed to increase the braking performance and yes it's an essential feature.

Does ABS without EBD is effective ?
Don't have expert advice on this, but ABS is there for a reason.

kkn13

Suspended

Grand i10 brakes are not bad as such, it is just too direct/jerky and takes time to get used to
Older i10 was better
But I wouldnt go on to say it lacks confidence
Ive driven a colleague's Grand i10 multiple times on Mumbai-Pune and its never felt out of place unlike hatches like Wagon R, Alto etc

Swift,Baleno and Ritz are a whole different story, excellent brakes especially the ABS variants
I made the mistake of buying Ritz VDI without ABS and I felt its shortcomings after driving a Ritz ZDI ABS variant owned by another colleague

Swift and Baleno platform vehicles feel at home on the highway for small vehicles
Only tall boys like Ritz and Ignis have a wee bit of wind resistance

Last edited:

Top Bottom