Car For Person With Back Pain. Budget Rs.5 - 7 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Background:
I currently have Wagon R CNG, it's completing 4 year soon. Although it's served well with low cost of ownership and good for city driving, never liked it's highway manners. We normally change car every 4-5yrs to avoid hassles of maintenance. So it's time for change now. Have experience of driving Omni, WagonR, Indica, Vista and Passat ( while in US). Passat remains my favourite, although cost me more to maintain then it's buying price!

Key Criteria:
I have problem of lower back pain. Waggy, with its upright driving seat is very comfortable for my back. I like to drive in upright position like WagonR or earlier Omni. So replacement needs to be similar or better w.r.t driving comfort. And be spacious for a family of 4+1

Budget: 5-7lakh

Running: 20 km daily Mumbai city running and around 500-600 kms drive once or twice a quarter. My daily running used to be 50km ( hence CNG). Post job change this has reduced to less than half.

Cars being considered, not in order of preference -
1. Ertiga Lxi - Although I don't like it's design, it seems most value for money and found its driving position similar to Waggy. My daughter prefers it because she can use one full row of seat. Slightly over budget but can manage.

2. Ignis sigma 1.2 - Seems value for money and upgrade from Waggy. Also small footprint makes it idle for city. Concerns, haven't yet got to test-drive despite multiple calls. Also given its light weight, not sure on highway manners.

3. Baleno Sigma- Good looking and spacious. Again waiting for test-drive. Also not sure on seating posture and if it suit my back pain.

4. Tigor XE - Did a test drive and seemed ok overall. Again not sure on how it will be for back on long drives

5. Nexon XE - Good looking, spacious, good features. As noted on Nexon thread, the 15 mins test-drive caused back pain. Need to do one more test drive.

Other cars considered were Ameo and liva. However both are too low seating.

No Hyundai or Honda as I feel they are just overpriced.

My general rule is buy base model (these are the most value for money) and add whats extra needed.

Am confused as Ertiga and Ignis are mind choices while other three are heart.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Re: Car for back pain, budget of 5-7lakh

I suggestion will be the Nexon or the Ignis. The sitting position of these cars are good and the Nexon is the best of them all as per the reviews.
You can also opt for some aftermarket lumbar support solutions.
But whatever it may be, test drive your shortlisted cars.
Ford Figo/Aspire and Ecosport and also find a place in your shortlist?

Thread Starter #3

I liked Nexon, however for some reason in my first test drive, I just couldn't get comfortable seating position. So after 15mins TD, got back pain. Now waiting for one more test drive, this time of petrol to see if I got some seat adjustment wrong.

Ecosport is out of budget and the figo twins seem overpriced.

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Car For Back Pain. Budget Rs.5 - 7 Lakh

Nexon front seat is very odd and gave my dad also back ache
Go for Ignis, Ecosport, Ertiga

IMHO Ertiga,Ecosport, Brezza is best for you
Im tall and so are my family members, we all have back issues
Ertiga, Ecosport,Brezza are best after tall boy cars like Wagon R and Ritz(We had 3 Ritz in my family earlier)
My brother owns Brezza after selling his Ritz

If you have back pain, dont compromise imho,get a comfortable car

I liked Nexon, however for some reason in my first test drive, I just couldn't get comfortable seating position. So after 15mins TD, got back pain. Now waiting for one more test drive, this time of petrol to see if I got some seat adjustment wrong.

Ecosport is out of budget and the figo twins seem overpriced.
If you're looking for comfort I would seriously recommend a Tata car. This is one of the primary reason I purchased Tiago. In under 7Lacs I was just blown away with the suspension quality it provides. Same goes for Tigor. Even the front seats are very comfortable. Rear bench is just okay I agree. Haven't driven the Nexon but my friend who TD told it has some serious good ride quality. Personally I prefer buying top variant and I would suggest Tiago XZ in your limited budget as sooner or later you would definitely feel the lack of features.

Thread Starter #6

Nexon front seat is very odd and gave my dad also back ache
Go for Ignis, Ecosport, Ertiga

IMHO Ertiga,Ecosport, Brezza is best for you
Im tall and so are my family members, we all have back issues
Ertiga, Ecosport,Brezza are best after tall boy cars like Wagon R and Ritz(We had 3 Ritz in my family earlier)
My brother owns Brezza after selling his Ritz

If you have back pain, dont compromise imho,get a comfortable car
Ecosport and Brezza are beyond my budget. Probably if maruti launched Brezza in petrol, it might fit in my budget.

Agree, I think tall boy designs are best suited for me.

@Abhishek, with comfort I meant comfortable driver seat which is suitable for people like myself, with back problem. Tiago, seems low seating and the problems faced by forum members here with Tiago, I wouldn't buy it. I liked Tigor design, hence it's in my list. But am not sure how it will be for Back on long drives.

If you are not taking a loan then you should take a peek in second hand market and i would suggest you should buy the Ertiga, you can plonk in a cng or buy a used vxi cng company fitted and you will get a boot too if you use the last row.

kkn13

Suspended

Ecosport and Brezza are beyond my budget. Probably if maruti launched Brezza in petrol, it might fit in my budget.

Agree, I think tall boy designs are best suited for me.

@Abhishek, with comfort I meant comfortable driver seat which is suitable for people like myself, with back problem. Tiago, seems low seating and the problems faced by forum members here with Tiago, I wouldn't buy it. I liked Tigor design, hence it's in my list. But am not sure how it will be for Back on long drives.
Tiago is too low imho too
If budget is a concern, Ertiga is a no brainer, its a proven product and seats are very comfortable
Dont look at it as a 7-8 seater though, see it as a large 5 seater
Dimensions wise, its around the same as my Honda City but its seats are more comfortable and higher

Id say go for Ertiga , no other car in your budget will be suitable for a bad back
In fact, for my dad, who has slip disc problem, the Ertiga was a close candidate when we considered selling our City , Brezza and Ecosport were also on the list and he found Ertiga as comfy (probably more) than the two given the extra space

Please avoid CNG imho, it ruins the character of the engine, takes alot of room in the boot and in the long run, it gives maintenance issues , go for diesel if mileage is a concern. 1.3 MJD is a fine engine and we ve owned it in multiple cars over the years and swear by it
Wagon R CNG was a different story because of the integration that MSIL provided for the car

Background:
2. Ignis sigma 1.2 - Seems value for money and upgrade from Waggy. Also small footprint makes it idle for city. Concerns, haven't yet got to test-drive despite multiple calls. Also given its light weight, not sure on highway manners.
Test drive the Ignis once. I am sure you will like it. Consider the Ignis Delta if you are looking for a family car. It has adjustable headrests at the back which will be quite useful for aged people. Delta comes with music system with bluetooth,usb , steering mounted controls, keyless entry , rear power windows, security systems, tacho, etc.

kkn13

Suspended

Yeah I forgot to mention Ignis, very comfy driving position
If not Ertiga imho

Last edited:

As you mentioned that you have requirement for 4+1. IF all of them are adults then it is hard to find 5 seated hatchback which could comfortable for back pain. No car below price tag below 10 lakhs have practical/individual space for 3 people in back seat.

Car in the below picture has seats for 3 people. So no car is practically available at your budget.
5 eater.jpg

In my opinion if your family has 4+1[Child] requirement then yes go for top variant Ignis. This is very trendy looking car with rally good features. Also the car passes NCAP test with 3 star rating. I would suggest to go for a car with top specs to enjoy the bells and whistles on the ride.

You can look for honda jazz it is a gr8 car for space and high middle end performance. Common ignis for space i can't stop laughing. IMHO it is the ugliest car in maruti brand, i wonder what made maruti to design such a crap style car . Baleno is super stylish and spacious car if you are ok with waiting period.

Thread Starter #13

Thanks folks for your input.

I am getting more inclined towards Ertiga, my kid keeps asking for that extra row.

Nexon is out of scope now. Went for one more drive and again got back ache. Not sure whether it is seat angle or angle of ABC pedals or long travel of clutch.

So now it's mostly between Ertiga and Ignis. Unfortunately am still struggling to get Ignis for test drive, the nexa guys keep moving it by two days. Not sure if they are even interested in selling.

Last edited:

I am getting more inclined towards Ertiga, my kid keeps asking for that extra row.

Nexon is out of scope now. Went for one more drive and again got back ache. Not sure whether it is seat angle or angle of ABC pedals or long travel of clutch.

So now it's mostly between Ertiga and Ignis. Unfortunately am still struggling to get Ignis for test drive, the nexa guys keep moving it by two days. Not sure if they are even interested in selling.
Maruti has 50+% of market share, so they have monopoly. So result is what you get.

I too had similar experience last year when I went to take TD of Baleno D at NEXA Shivaji nagar, Pune. It took a week to get us TD.

Whichever car you opt for, make sure to have ABS as well as airbags. These cannot be fitted through aftermarket. It is good to have atleast ABS, I had lot of first hand experiences which definitely taught me the importance of ABS.
Note : I own a 2014 model Honda City i-vtec SV, which comes with ABS and two airbags. I have completed 53,500 kms as of now.

Top Bottom