The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Car Shopper (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-shopper/)
-   -   Will Low Running Affect Diesel Heart? (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-shopper/32339-will-low-running-affect-diesel-heart.html)

Torque200 3rd October 2017 06:32 PM

Will Low Running Affect Diesel Heart?

Budget : 10 to 11 lakhs
top five priorities
1) Fun to drive
2) solid vault like built
3) safety features
monthly running
500 to 800 kms with occasional weekend trips
type of fuel : petrol/diesel
purpose Daily commute to work with occasional weekend trips
seating capacity 4
segment Hatchback

My top most choice is Polo GT TSI.
Safely Ruled out due to its DSG reliability.

Then on the list is GT TDI.
But I was told to keep away from diesel given my monthly running which is less than 1000 kms.

My biggest question is
Will low running affects diesel engine or TDI specifically in any way ?

kkn13 3rd October 2017 08:19 PM

Re: Will Low Running Affect Diesel Heart?

Low running doesnt impact diesels at all

But keep in mind VW clutches are very heavy and Id suggest waiting for Ecosport for the same price range instead imho its a better loaded package and fresher given VW's current lineup will be discontinued in favour of MQB successors soon

kenlitting 3rd October 2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque200 (Post 550036)
Budget : 10 to 11 lakhs
top five priorities
1) Fun to drive
2) solid vault like built
3) safety features
monthly running
500 to 800 kms with occasional weekend trips
type of fuel : petrol/diesel
purpose Daily commute to work with occasional weekend trips
seating capacity 4
segment Hatchback

My top most choice is Polo GT TSI.
Safely Ruled out due to its DSG reliability.

Then on the list is GT TDI.
But I was told to keep away from diesel given my monthly running which is less than 1000 kms.

My biggest question is
Will low running affects diesel engine or TDI specifically in any way ?

Low running has no effect on diesel engine except that it is uneconomical for you for the extra anount of money spent and and also keep in mind service cost of diesel filter also which needs periodic replacement.Another factor is diesel cars need occasionally to be run at an higher speed .If you don’t regularly drive your car fast enough to clean its diesel particulate filter (DPF), it will become clogged with soot.

amitpshelke 4th October 2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkn13 (Post 550045)
Low running doesnt impact diesels at all

But keep in mind VW clutches are very heavy and Id suggest waiting for Ecosport for the same price range instead imho its a better loaded package and fresher given VW's current lineup will be discontinued in favour of MQB successors soon

If top priority is FUN TO DRIVE keeping in mind for FE then Ford Figo Diesel [Sports] is better to have. Else you can wait for EcoSport facelift.

1000 KMS is sufficient for a month to keep diesel car healthy. All you need to do is, give you car a occasional high stretch to open up the engine and breath.

POLO GT is meant for highway, coz DSG will be expensive in daily B2B traffic.

pravin1987 4th October 2017 12:08 PM

I recommend Nexon followed by the ecosport. Nexon is neither handicapped size like ladder frame suv or a small hatchback. It's the right size.

I would suggest petrol Nexon as your running is low.Take a TD and decide. Regarding soot build up/EGR cleaning is out of the equation till you clock 1lakh kms.

as a best practice for turbo charged cars, ideal for 2 minutes before you move and maintain low speeds till optimum engine temp is reached and before shutting down run the car below turbo zone.

Vishwas 4th October 2017 02:49 PM

From recent inconsistent diesel regulations and irregularities in the diesel functioning, It's recommended to go for a hassle free petrol powered car.

Since your running is low, there are petrol cars with turbos like Baleno RS, Vento/polo TSI, Nexon petrol, (Haven't driven any of them) you could give them all a try and lay hands in the ones you like.

Diesels needs frequent maintenance as portrayed by other members here, and it definitely costs you a lakh or more when compared with Petrol/Diesel Models.

kkn13 4th October 2017 04:45 PM

Diesels dont need frequent maintenance, I used to service my Ritz once a year VS my City , every 6 months wherein City feels rough if not serviced for too long
Both had equal running everyday
I sold my Ritz

Torque200 26th October 2017 10:58 PM

Thanks for your input guys.
After much deliberations decided to buy Polo GT TDI.

My questions

Is GT TDI still in production?

Say if iam booking this car in november ,can i demand a car manufactured in october?

How much delay in months between production and purchase is acceptable?

kkn13 27th October 2017 05:34 PM

GT TDI is a bit risky right now given VW is gonna update the Polo etc in the coming months to the new MQB platform
What is your budget?
12 is too steep for Polo imho when you have options like updated Ecosport with identical parking footprint, more space and similar engine performance

Torque200 27th October 2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkn13 (Post 552061)
GT TDI is a bit risky right now given VW is gonna update the Polo etc in the coming months to the new MQB platform
What is your budget?
12 is too steep for Polo imho when you have options like updated Ecosport with identical parking footprint, more space and similar engine performance

wondering how mind wanders in a single day.

Now coming to Polo GT

Apprehensions grown bigger due to
1) spending 11 lakhs on a hatch back
2) VW after sales service
3) shifting to MQB in upcoming months

I was of the opinion that if it is a hatchback it should be polo.
And now waving good bye to GT which was perched long in heart, now decided to stretch my basic requirement to a petrol sedan.

First on choice list is Honda city .
With a City IDtec in garage already it was out of contention.

Next comes German siblings.
Word of mouth is they are not a good performer with a petrol heart. (Ready to go for it if proven otherwise)

Thats left me with 5th gen verna.
Comparing the above four Verna seems to be powerful ,atleast on paper with 121BHP and 151 Torque .

Checked the Verna today in showroom. Exterior design was to my liking . Interior looks bland but thats not a deal breaker.
TD vehicle was not available so cant able to get behind the wheels. Sales person asked me to come on monday for a test drive.

Variant : VTVT SX.

So guys I
1) Need a review from experienced ones. (Link)
There was not a single detailed review on verna petrol
2) Summarised reviews says its fuel economy is a con.
(10 to 12 in city
14 to 16 on highways was enough for me)
3) How does VTVT fares in comparison to German siblings. Will go for Vento or rapid if its petrol engine excels

( Munched 90,000kms on City IDtec already and I felt high end performance was missing in an otherwise good car sans NVH. So I need a best petrol sedan that will plaster a smile on my face )

Thanks

kkn13 29th October 2017 10:09 PM

Honestly IVTEC is one of the best engines in this segment but since you are probably bored of City, you might not opt for it
I also have a City IVTEC and Im finding it difficult to find a replacement, so far, Ive decided to hold on to my City because other than Ecosport and Compass , I couldnt find a single car that felt special
Ill continue in your new thread

thebanik 30th October 2017 10:30 AM

I do not find Verna to be FTD at all.
How about Vento? Its got the same engine as Polo, and its fun to drive. Similarly I liked Rapid as well but I will rate it 18 to Polo/Vento's 20.
If reliability is a concern then IMO the only car in this segment (alongwith being fun to drive) that remains is Ecosport's Ecoboost (Or maybe the new Petrol engine, havent driven that yet)