Need Help Buying Used Car For Daily Commute

Thread Starter #1
Hi folks

myself looking to an used car (5 seater) for daily commute . As i already have scorpio at home .this one is secondary car..according to my usage these are the points i mainly focused on

1.GOOD FE (vexed with my scorpio diesel avg)

2.LOW ON MAINTENANCE (as i have to bear to 2 cars at a time)

3.SHOULD RUN AT LEAST 50 TO 1 LAKH KMS FROM MY PURCHASE

Based on the above strict conditions. I'm thinking about these cars :

1.GRAND I10(2014-2015)
2.SWIFT HATCH BACK(2012-2014)
3.HYUNDAI XCENT(2014-2016)
4.HONDA AMAZE(2014-2016)
5.TOYOTA ETIOS LIVA (2012-2014)

please be specific about the model you suggest such as maintenance cost and appropriate price for that year we can purchase for and what would be main parts (clutch plate assembly,suspension assembly,engine turbo,steering rack etc) costs of this cars And when there would be their possible replacement in kms respective.

i m looking for only diesel cars as i use car for day to day life..i run 30k kms on avg with my scorpio 70% highway 30% city(hates to drive in city traffic due to hard clutch [frustration] ). So my usage of this secondary car would be not less than 20k kms per year.as i only want to use my scorpio for long drives

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
But multi jet diesel engines wont long enough. They will start giving troubles from 70 to 80k kms so was looking for vehicles which would at least sustain 1.5 Lakh kms

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
I am talking about etios liva not etios gd..
Any way please let me know among those vehicles which engines lasts long run..
Either etios 1.4 diesel engine or suzuki ka fiat sourced mjds or honda ka idtec engine or hyundai ka 1.1 crdi engines???

kkn13

Suspended
But multi jet diesel engines wont long enough. They will start giving troubles from 70 to 80k kms so was looking for vehicles which would at least sustain 1.5 Lakh kms
Not true at all

I am talking about etios liva not etios gd..
Any way please let me know among those vehicles which engines lasts long run..
Either etios 1.4 diesel engine or suzuki ka fiat sourced mjds or honda ka idtec engine or hyundai ka 1.1 crdi engines???
Etios 1.4 is a bit crude but very reliable and well powered
1.3 MJD is fondly called national engine of India, its found in 25 cars and is extremely reliable , popular. Dont believe anyone who says it will give troubles, Ive seen this engine last 2L km easily
IDTEC is a crude engine , very smooth but crude
Hyundai 1.1 CRDI is now discontinued and was pretty refined but lacks punch

Last edited:
Swift has very small boot. Instead you should consider Dzire. I have used it for 6 months in Bangalore traffic and still it used to give very good FE. Yes the MJD is one of the better engines here but is not that powerful and acceleration is just about okay. Even the Zest is good option. Recently I traveled in a NJD Zest and Tata has done some tuning to sound it even smoother and firstly I mistook it for a Petrol. The Hyundai i20 CRDI is the buy according to me. Its 1.4 Engine is adequately powered unlike 1.3MJD and very refined. Personally I liked Hyundai's 1.4 CRDI to be better than the overhyped 1.3 MJD. Older Grand i10 diesel 1.1 is underpowered.

kkn13

Suspended
Zest clutch is heavy and doesnt feel as good as Maruti and Chevy's version of MJD, tuning of Tata is more linear and doesnt feel as good as the other iterations of the MJD
MJD isnt overhyped, it was a fine engine for its time and is still good in select cars

1.4 CRDI is an excellent engine though

MJD is fine for speeds upto 100 kmph , it loses steam after 80 but below that, its an absolute beast
Doesnt need accelerator input at all in traffic
Turbo lag is also normal at these speeds for a diesel

Sir you did not specified your budget and you should go for a well maintained Toyota or a Maruti both can go for 3 Lacs km i have personally seen both 1.3 litre diesel of a swift and Toyota is known for it's reliability but just get well maintained one with lower mileage and get service records if possible. As far i have seen Hyundai cars tend to start giving trouble at an early age no offence to Hyundai owners.

Thread Starter #12
my budget is 4lkhs.

its not like i dont like mjd's,but saw very few vehicles with run of over 2lkh kms.and almost every one is ready to get rid of them when they are around lkh kms especially swifts ..that create doubts over their long run sustainity ..

i am ok with nvh levels and not at all fan of speeds..as i said i am only looking for mileage and low maintenance cost vehicle ..which should not burn my pocket after buying for regular service with more wear and tear parts...

with in my budget(:agree: its tight budget) i am getting vehicles over 70k kms ..so let me know among those vehicles which is to pick which has already run over 70k kms..that i wont regret ...thanks

kkn13

Suspended
Zest clutch is heavy? Is it? Do you have practical experience on it because i do not find it heavy.
Certainly heavier than my Ritz, my brother's Brezza and a friend's Ertiga SHVS
All cars including the Zest TD vehicles(I took 2 TDs from different dealerships) were fairly driven

We had 3 Ritz in my family, all sold at around 50k km in good condition
All were sold for around 2.5-2.7L within a few months of each other

If it is all about reliablity then you should just buy a Toyota and use it for lacs of km and i think the hunt should end here.

Top Bottom