Suitable Used Car To Improve Driving Skills?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Which car is best for improving my driving skills?And,my budget on this would be around ₹1-1.5L.I feel Alto,Zen,Santro,Wagon-R will suit my needs.I already learnt driving car through driving school but still need to improve my driving skills.I have Innova and Honda City,but I'm bit scared of driving our own vehicles.Already driven Innova for many times,but still not confident in driving our own car.Hence,I need a cheap and smaller car for improving my driving skills.

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Car for driving skills

You basically want a beater car, a used one
So from one person who has same cars as you- Innova and City, Ill suggest the car I learned driving on- Ritz Diesel
Youll get it a bit over your budget- 2.5 or so but trust me its worth it
It has hydraulic steering and a slighly heavy clutch but oh she flies in 2nd and 3rd after 1700 rpm, Ive not seen any car with that sort of feedback/kick even with the exact same engine . Even Swift was more linear and I really enjoyed this kick and miss it
I thought Brezza and Ignis would have it but they didnt and I had already sold my Ritz by then
Take a TD of a used one and see
Beware of commercial cars though

PS- get over your fears by driving those cars more often , really helps
take a family member along if it makes you more confident
Thats what I did

Last edited:

This may be counter intuitive. Innova is the best one, I feel. I learnt driving in my Scorpio. After the first month of scratches / near misses, no more close calls in the city. Highways you do have close calls due to the uncertainty that you can't control.

After driving for a while, I have huge confidence to drive any smaller vehicle. Especially in narrow roads & reverse.

The other reason is that you are seated a bit high in the Innova & you can get to see where you are going unlike in a sedan.

Alto is a very good option , but first check if you will be comfortable in the front seat. If you are a tall guy, then I think you will be more comfortable in WagonR.

Hello everyone,

Which car is best for improving my driving skills?And,my budget on this would be around ₹1-1.5L.I feel Alto,Zen,Santro,Wagon-R will suit my needs.I already learnt driving car through driving school but still need to improve my driving skills.I have Innova and Honda City,but I'm bit scared of driving our own vehicles.Already driven Innova for many times,but still not confident in driving our own car.Hence,I need a cheap and smaller car for improving my driving skills.
You have driven Innova many times and still scared to drive your own Innova....hmmm. Staying away from own cars clearly means you are still not good at driving so, firstly, stay away from others' cars please.

Now, coming to your question, you wish to improve driving skills means you know the basics, right?? So, what car(s) would you be driving eventually after your skills are improved? Innova? City? I would have suggested learning on an Alto or a Santro/WagonR but you already know driving (driven Innova many times...eh). So your go-to-be used car depends on what you will ultimately be driving. Going by the cars you have in house, I'd suggest get a used OHC (the best and you might even consider keeping it a lil longer after learning) or am Esteem or a Lancer.

Hope this helps.

kkn13

Suspended
Id suggest avoiding the OHC, Esteem or Lancer because these cars are enthusiast favourites but parts, reliability etc will be a concern if you want it for daily use
Though Japs are generally fairly reliable even with age

Avoid Alto, Wagon R,nano etc they are fairly unsafe for highway use (if you want to learn highway driving) and engines are not very enthusiastic either

I forgot to mention, a 2009 City or even an NHC (Dolphin shape IDSI or VTEC) might be a good option though you may need to stretch budget a bit
These will give balance of everything for your budget , be prepared for part changes in case and newer cars are better , keep that in mind
So a 2008 VTEC might be a decent bargain

You can buy and drive actually any car if you ask me. I learnt driving when I was 12 YO on premier padmini and have been driving since then. The only way to improve is to drive regularly, for first few weeks you will be scared to drive alone on roads, take someone with you to boost your confidence. I had once driven a tata 407, but believe me once you know how to drive well you can drive anything(by which i mean a road vehicle :P)

Last edited:

Top Bottom