Recommend Polo Replacement. Hyundai i20 vs Others?

Thread Starter #1
Hi
I am in process of selling my first car polo, bought 3 years back. And would like to replace it with another Hatch or Compact Sedan
I have shortlisted i20, can't seems to shortlist any other car.

My preferences are Safety> Build Quality > reasonable ASS > good interior.
Budget max 7 Lacs (excluding all maruti cars)

Any other suggestion ?

Thread Starter #3
Polo is a great car, however following thing prompted to move to another.
1. Back Seat Space
2. Some AC issues
3. Costly after Sales Service

Thread Starter #4
Your Budget: (Rs.6 – 7 Lakh)
New or Used:
(New Car)
Your Location: (Pune)
Top Five Priorities: (Safety, ASS, Internal Design/Comfort)
Monthly Running: (City 600 and Highway avg 600)
Type of Fuel: (Petrol)
For What Purpose: (Regular Use, City and Highway once/twice a month on Long trips)
Seating Capacity: (Comfortable for 5 Adults)
Type of Segment: (Hatch or Compact Sedan)

kkn13

Suspended
i20 or Baleno only come to mind

Another option is older stock of verna if you want a larger car for lesser
They offered my friend discount on Verna a month ago but he bought Grand i10 in the end because he didnt want a larger car

Thread Starter #6
Baleno has got very low Kerb Weight and plastic like body unit, thus feel it is not very safe.
based on safety, our choices limited to Punto & Polo (both very less resale value, and After Sales Service issue...) and i20 which is not as good as european built, however better than Maruti's. However still check if i have missed anything.

Regarding Variant of I20 - is the Sportz or Asta good suggestion, I am not a big fan of Alloy wheel. However rear wiper, steering wheel tilt/telescopic, touch screen music system, rear room head support adjustment, boot mirror, reversing camera and sensor are pushing to Asta. Any other thoughts. Please.

Last edited:
At this price tag and the requirement you have, only Baleno and i20 fits in.
But buying these cars without their features may not be a good idea, so if you have money to then I would suggest to go for top end variants.

If you are not family of tall [considering average height 5.8 or above] then you can have other options open, like the
- Ford Figo 1.2P Titanium+
- Ford Figo 1.2P Sports Edition MT

Figo is tough built and less on maintenance and the top variant will surely fit into your budget. Check out below youtube link to that may answer your question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu373h5OpTI

Thread Starter #9
Thanks KK and Amit.
1. Baleno is surely out due to its weights and thin metal boday
2. Figo i heard is good. but we are yet to take test drive. In Pune, i have had time finding the dealer, there was on Sai Sakshi Dealer - Wakad Highway (Closed now), another Planet Fort near Model Colony Road (Its also Closed now)
Ford, i am hearing that their service cost is cheap. Wants to ensure it fits all the bells and whistle so that we can consider it.

I am fine with I20. No issue. The budget can be slightly upgraded to 7.5 (if i can get some discount).
Anyone aware of discount ranges for Elite i20, dealers are saying no discount and agreeing to get Rs 15K Exc Bonus as cash discount (without bargaining), however i heard that some people have got around Rs 50K but those are in different states.
I am yet to make a booking.

Another question, how is the service costs of i20 Compared to Polo, any idea?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

kkn13

Suspended
Thanks KK and Amit.
1. Baleno is surely out due to its weights and thin metal boday
2. Figo i heard is good. but we are yet to take test drive. In Pune, i have had time finding the dealer, there was on Sai Sakshi Dealer - Wakad Highway (Closed now), another Planet Fort near Model Colony Road (Its also Closed now)
Ford, i am hearing that their service cost is cheap. Wants to ensure it fits all the bells and whistle so that we can consider it.

I am fine with I20. No issue. The budget can be slightly upgraded to 7.5 (if i can get some discount).
Anyone aware of discount ranges for Elite i20, dealers are saying no discount and agreeing to get Rs 15K Exc Bonus as cash discount (without bargaining), however i heard that some people have got around Rs 50K but those are in different states.
I am yet to make a booking.

Another question, how is the service costs of i20 Compared to Polo, any idea?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
i20 will be peanuts compared to Polo in terms of service costs

My SIL had Polo 1.2 3 cylinder NA, it was around as much as my CRV to maintain

Thread Starter #12
Yes 1.5D Titanium+ is best car at that price tag.

Ride and handling, solid built quality, space are really adequate for the price you pay.
Figo -
How about the Highway speed handling & Corner Stability is it at par with Polo ?
I Noted from their website and ad campaigns that the service costs are cheaper, how is the resale value etc?

i20 - basis of your signature, it seems you own this car.
a) how is the Highway speed handling & Corner Stability is it at par with Polo ?
b) Service costs (yearly), polo is around 8-9K,
bumper etc replacement and few small damages costed Rs 22k (i paid 1-2k, rest by insurance)
c) Resale value after 3-4 years,
d) Any other thing to keep in mind.

i20 will be peanuts compared to Polo in terms of service costs

My SIL had Polo 1.2 3 cylinder NA, it was around as much as my CRV to maintain
Can you share i20 Service costs, ball park number is fine.
Polo i bought simply for built quality.

kkn13

Suspended
Can you share i20 Service costs, ball park number is fine.
Polo i bought simply for built quality.
Tough to say since I dont have an i20
@Nomad47 has an i20 though

I can guarantee, itll be lesser than Polo though
Germans are very expensive to maintain in comparison and part failures are higher too
I had Skoda Superb 2nd gen until 2 years back and my SIL had Polo 1.2 NA

Overall i20 would be my choice, I suggest taking it on the highway or some empty road to see if the steering feedback is to your liking though, its not for everyones taste, otherwise best all rounder car for the price

Thread Starter #14
Tough to say since I dont have an i20
@Nomad47 has an i20 though

I can guarantee, itll be lesser than Polo though
Germans are very expensive to maintain in comparison and part failures are higher too
I had Skoda Superb 2nd gen until 2 years back and my SIL had Polo 1.2 NA

Overall i20 would be my choice, I suggest taking it on the highway or some empty road to see if the steering feedback is to your liking though, its not for everyones taste, otherwise best all rounder car for the price
I did took a long test drive, close to 20KM+ and i have overall liked it, it was Asta (option) car, i am assuming the handling etc will be same. although NOT as stable as polo, but not bad either, its close to 90% match to Polo in highway etc.

Among the CS, i tried, Amaze, Dzire, Ameo, Zest, and Aspire (pending), i have liked
Tata Zest overall (altough not a hatchback), but any thoughts? I did not like the interior much. but stability etc was good.

kkn13

Suspended
Among the CS, i tried, Amaze, Dzire, Ameo, Zest, and Aspire (pending), i have liked
Tata Zest overall (altough not a hatchback), but any thoughts? I did not like the interior much. but stability etc was good.
I liked Zest high driving position but i20 is a class above the cars mentioned in terms of refinement and interiors etc

Top Bottom