Skoda Octavia vs Toyota Corolla Altis vs Jeep Compass

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a car in the 15-20 lac range and my options are dwindling between Octavia, Jeep Compass and Corolla Altis. I do know that while there are two sedans and one SUV, I'm really okay with anything provided they meet my requirement which is mainly:
1. After sales maintenance / service costs
2. Drive quality after 4-5 years as I intend to keep it for a long term.

Current:
My daily driving routine is just around 2-5 kms from home-work-home and I've been driving the Honda Civic since many years now and been in love with the ride, comfort, quality, maintenance and after sales service. I've owned a Chevrolet earlier and owning it was a pain!

Any owners of the above cars (except Jeep of course) can shed light on what has been their experience owning these cars in terms of drive, maintenance costs, etc?

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Octavia vs Corolla Altis vs Jeep Compass

1. After sales of Skoda wont be as good as Honda or Toyota, maintenance costs and reliability too. Jeep/FCA service network is very limited and I still wouldnt put all my eggs in their basket because until last year, they didnt have a dealership in Mumbai :O

2. Long term wise, once again Toyota is far reliable, cheaper to maintain and resale value will always be much higher than the others

Keep in mind, if you are going for automatic, Toyota has a CVT box meaning FE, reliability etc is better for the long run whereas Skoda and Jeep have dual clutch/DSG/DCT which dont agree with bumper to bumper traffic and have a higher maintenance cost and high part failure rate for our roads

If you had Chevrolet earlier and had bad experience, its gonna be the same case with Skoda and Jeep imho. Very solid cars for the price but suddenly youll get problems,lack of parts locally and no good resale value

Id say go for Altis or any other Japanese for your requirements
Worst case even if you dont want the Altis a few years down the line, youll still get a good resale and can keep your options open

Thread Starter #3

If you had Chevrolet earlier and had bad experience, its gonna be the same case with Skoda and Jeep imho. Very solid cars for the price but suddenly youll get problems,lack of parts locally and no good resale value
Aptly said. That is what I've experienced with Chevrolet where the car suddenly got problems and the servicing at their service centers was below average. Had to sell away my car in just 3 years!

I'll certainly try out the Corolla Altis. However, wondering then why do people buy a Skoda? I've heard stories in Hyderabad that the dealer has a monopoly and charges whatever he wants for spares!

kkn13

Suspended

Aptly said. That is what I've experienced with Chevrolet where the car suddenly got problems and the servicing at their service centers was below average. Had to sell away my car in just 3 years!

I'll certainly try out the Corolla Altis. However, wondering then why do people buy a Skoda? I've heard stories in Hyderabad that the dealer has a monopoly and charges whatever he wants for spares!
Its a similar case in Mumbai too

Skoda and all these Germans simply have a fad attached to them
Agreed they feel more understated but at what cost financially and mentally

I had a Skoda Superb (previous gen) and still have a Chevy aveo

Toyota has better network reach, but comparing the style and feature SKODA and JEEP are better. For long term issue, it dependent on driver to driver and road conditions.

Toyota's are better VFM considering long term use. None of the cars you mentioned are cheaper on maintenance. Both the cars have their own pros and cons.

I would suggest you to take thorough test drive all three you like, but to my opinion SKODA would be better to have.

If you haven't finalized then TD Hyundai Elantra, good option with better features, style, safety and everything you can compare with Octavia.

JEEP Compass is SUV and meant to built for some other propose. It is more over rugged and macho style rather elegant and luxury.

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a car in the 15-20 lac range and my options are dwindling between Octavia, Jeep Compass and Corolla Altis. I do know that while there are two sedans and one SUV, I'm really okay with anything provided they meet my requirement which is mainly:
1. After sales maintenance / service costs
2. Drive quality after 4-5 years as I intend to keep it for a long term.

:
My daily driving routine is just around 2-5 kms from home-work-home and I've beCurrenten driving the Honda Civic since many years now and been in love with the ride, comfort, quality, maintenance and after sales service. I've owned a Chevrolet earlier and owning it was a pain!

Any owners of the above cars (except Jeep of course) can shed light on what has been their experience owning these cars in terms of drive, maintenance costs, etc?
Go with Toyota. Skoda is notorious when it comes to service cost, maintainence, Compass is a unknown quantity in service and quality.

I have a a 9 year old Altis, Moved to 206 size Tyree and its a MUV now. I don't get stuck where a sedan should. I do face small under 1000 rs issues, but even if i don't solve the issues, it never makes me stuck. It keeps going.

If you don't want to be stranded in jungle, Toyota is the best bet. Skodas can snap any rubber part any time and then you are alone.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread up, while thinking of replacing my Duster RXZ. A few considerations are: feels tiresome to drive in traffic, starting to feel a bit crude all over (no rattles ), such as AC, AVN, general feel. Its still solid mechanically and probably deserves to be replaced only by another SUV, but somehow I get the sense that handling a sedan is better and easier in terms of dimensions, and general long distance driving. That upright driving position seems to be an issue for me. Plus, parents need an easier car for ingress-egress. So, we looked at Octavia, Elantra, Altis and for a good measure, the BRV and City too. The BRV-AT and City feel the easiest to drive, in fact the City almost feels toyish- even my Polo has a more solid feel to it at highway speeds.
The Altis feels the most comfortable, driver and passenger wise, but Elantra has better infotainment options and the Octavia, well, has the 1.8 TSI and that massive boot. The options so far, since I am considering only petrol cars now:
Octavia 1.8 Tsi-
Positives :- power, comfort, gadgetry, boot space
Negatives: - middle seat hump, Skoda reputation, cost & quality of service, resale

Corolla Altis:
Positives:- Comfortable seats , ingress-egress, good suspension, reliability, solid build quality
Negatives: weak infotainment system

Elantra:
Positives: Looks, good infotainment, adequate power/performance, cheapest D-segment sedan
Negatives: low ingress-egress, questionable ground clearance, smaller boot space

Creta Petrol:
Positives: Build quality, infotainment options
Negatives: No performance upgrade, key safety features available in manual trim top end only.

City:
Positives: Seat comfort, ease of driving, additional safety features (6 airbags), boot space
Negatives: Narrow tyres, light build quality, average infotainment options, No performance upgrade
BRV:
Positives: Flex seating comfort, petrol AT, high GC yet car like to drive, cheapest purchase value.
Negatives: Infotainment needs to be upgraded at purchase, no performance upgrade, average build quality, no upgrade in terms of safety features.

Have not considered the Verna because of poor rear-seat space.Otherwise it would have been on the list (SXO AT). Also not considered the Compass AT, because I feel that the car must have additional airbags for the cost that you are paying up (23-24 lac). The salesperson out there could not counter my argument.

Last edited:

Top Bottom