Buying an Automatic Car. Need Help.

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy an automatic.

Please help which variant makes sense. My first choice was Ignis due to better ride quality. However, CVT is better than AMT.

I guess price difference in Delhi between 2 variant is around 90 K.

Baleno gets ... Auto AC,Rear Window Washer,Tinted Glass,
Ignis Gets - Start/Stop Button,Alloy Wheels,Door Ajar Warning, Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners with Force Limiters

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ignis ZETA AMT vs Baleno Deta CVT

My question is do you really want to put your car in Delhi traffic. If yes then CVT would be better but not the best option. If you are looking for hassle free drive in B2B traffic then dual clutch automatic gear shift can only be the best options.

But to my opinion, manual transmission would be better to have, as automated system gives you more maintenance considering huge traffic.

My advice would be avoid thinking of automatic and go for top end IGNIS -Alpha.
Buying a top end variant has altogether a different experience in terms of feature list.
The touché screen infotainment system, HID projector + DRL and the style kit.

IGNIS is car for those who believe in trendy design and love to have different aesthetic experience rather regular elegant and clean finish.

Automatic systems are costlier and expensive to maintain. So the POLO TSI with DSG comes at higher price.

When it comes to Baleno, the alpha variant that makes the presence on the road with its sleek design decorated with projectors on front and chrome line on rear.

Another options to my view is Ford FIGO 1.5P Titanium. Easy to maintain, powerful, tough and stylish.

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ignis Zeta AMT vs Maruti Suzuki Baleno Deta CVT

Dual clutch is a HUGE no-no for bumper to bumper traffic, terribly unreliable and high maintenance...
Id say go for the Baleno , CVT is a far superior technology than AMT
AMT is jerky unless you go for diesel AMT

AMT and CVT are as good as manuals as they are made with traffic conditions in mind and maintenance is not expensive unlike DSG/DCT which are very expensive to buy and maintain

Polo GT TSI is not meant for traffic conditions as is the Figo DCT

Baleno CVT now comes in the Alpha variant too

Last edited:

Well, it depends on your intended use. I suggest you to try to take a test drive of the Ignis AMT and the Baleno CVT. The petrol Ignis AMT is much better than the Diesel as the petrol engine is a naturally aspirated 1.2 l engine so no turbo lag.

Transmission wise, AMT gearboxes suffer from jerky as well laggy gearshifts whereas the CVT has a smooth driving experience. Where the AMT trumps the CVT is in kickdown acceleration. If you need to make a quick overtake, and you mash the accelerator, the AMT will shift down to 2nd or 3rd gear and acceleration is brisk. Not as lightning fast as a DCT but better than CVT. Whereas CVT in these kinda situation will suffer from rubberband effect and it will be extremely annoying after sometime and you have to change your driving style. Although driving both AMT and CVT has a learning curve associated with it.

Fuel efficiency wise both AMT and CVT is good. Even DCT is better. Automatic transmission with a torque convertor will suffer from low fuel efficiency numbers. The Baleno CVT is a great city car so is the Ignis AMT but the Baleno will be smoother. BTW, Baleno CVT in Delta trim does not offer UV cut glasses, Zeta trim does.

Compromises you need to decide on is whether you prefer a smooth gearshift & rubberband effect of CVT or Jerky gearshift & good acceleration of AMT.

Last edited:

If you dont want to spend too much money, then the Nissan Micra also has a loaded CVT variant with ABS, dual airbags, auto AC and the works. I used to own one, and it was quite reliable & cost effective in terms of maintenance. Upgraded to the GT TSI recently, which has the performance of a segment or two above.

Last edited:

If you dont want to spend too much money, then the Nissan Micra also has a loaded CVT variant with ABS, dual airbags, auto AC and the works. I used to own one, and it was quite reliable & cost effective in terms of maintenance. Upgraded to the GT TSI recently, which has the performance of a segment or two above.
Nissan CVT is also a better option to go for. It has proven the capability of CVT.

kkn13

Suspended

Micra CVT isnt bad but platform is slowly being updated and phased out in favour of a new platform in 2018

kkn13

Suspended

Ignis AMT Alpha variant also launched!! Good move by MSIL, first Baleno now Ignis in top AT variants

Buying an automatic makes sense in today's traffic situation,I had an i10 automatic, though it had it's niggles like steering rattle, etc, it was effortless and good in traffic.
Which ever car you buy go for the top end variant as rightly pointed out by Amit Shelke.
I am also in the same boat for buying another petrol car. I did like the baleno cvt alpha, which IMHO a better car than Ignis, I am yet to drive aspire petrol automatic(will comment on that once I TD it), but I have been smitten by the fiats(linea tjet and abarth punto). However holding my guns on fiat, as there is a rumor that fiat may stop production of linea n punto and lack of good service centres.

kkn13

Suspended

Buying an automatic makes sense in today's traffic situation,I had an i10 automatic, though it had it's niggles like steering rattle, etc, it was effortless and good in traffic.
Which ever car you buy go for the top end variant as rightly pointed out by Amit Shelke.
I am also in the same boat for buying another petrol car. I did like the baleno cvt alpha, which IMHO a better car than Ignis, I am yet to drive aspire petrol automatic(will comment on that once I TD it), but I have been smitten by the fiats(linea tjet and abarth punto). However holding my guns on fiat, as there is a rumor that fiat may stop production of linea n punto and lack of good service centres.
Ford Automatics are DCT(dual clutch), best avoided imho given it doesnt play well with bumper to bumper traffic

Thread Starter #12
Car Lease. Which Car? Please Help

To take benefit of car lease, I was looking to buy second car. An automatic.

Car lease benefits include:

1. 600,000 admissible expenses. 200,000 Tax Saving per annum

2. Tax saving on EMI. Which means Interest of 10% is taken care of by Tax benefit on EMI.

We have car financing by a Bank, so no GST on lease rental applicable.

3. Lease period/Financing of 3 Years. I can claim tax benefits for next 3 years in case I do not transfer ownership.

4. Perquisite tax of 35 K approx/ Per Annum

5. 20% Downpayment

I was looking at Ignis Zeta or Baleno as an option.

Now,Ignis AMT is out in ALPHA model so confused which one to buy.

Ideally I should not cross 6.5 lakhs to take advantage of tax benefits.

Please note I may not take ownership transfer after 3 years given High Tax on ownership transfer.

Help Guys!!!! Heart says Baleno CVT Alpha. Too expensive though

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Car lease - Which Car PLEASE HELP

Both are great cars imho

Baleno CVT has rubber band effect
Ignis AMT has slight jerky shifts

imho go for Baleno if you want petrol
or if diesel, go for Ignis

Since its a lease, you can also consider high depreciation cars but keep in mind OTR,maintenance etc

Thread Starter #14
Ciaz AT Delta Vs Baleno CVT Alpha

Hi,

I visited to book Alpha Baleno which cost around 9.5 L.

Then test drove, Ciaz Delta which is around 10 L. Its has nearly 50K cash discount.

Ciaz AT was such a smooth experience. I loose out on top of the line features.

However, can move to upper segment at a price of Rs 50K.

What say guys? Surprisingly AT instant average was 15-20.

It was such a good experience why no one talking about CIAZ??

Thread Starter #15
Re: Ciaz AT Delta Vs Baleno CVT Alpha

Please add Verna to above. i do not wanna cross magic fig of 10.5 L

Top Bottom