Which is Best Car For Hill Driving?

Thread Starter #1
Hi, i need information about car model for travelling Hills station? can you suggest which is more comfortable car for traveling mountains.

Re: Which is the best car for traveling mountains?

Unless you are driving to completely broken roads or really steep hill stations, any hatch will do. People still travel in Maruti 800 to pretty much every nook and corner of our country without breaking a sweat.

Any car which has a lot of torque. Yes, a Diesel car is always better for hilly regions as Diesel engines have huge torque and thus much more pulling ability on the inclines.

Any car which has a lot of torque. Yes, a Diesel car is always better for hilly regions as Diesel engines have huge torque and thus much more pulling ability on the inclines.
I beg to disagree.

For generic Ghat roads with potholes: A Petrol hatchback is more than adequate. I drove my 800CC Matiz up to the banks of many river-lets in the Sivalik Hills. Just be careful while deciding to drive over those big stones.

For muddy Ghat roads: Good Diesel engine / at least 15 inch wheels / wide tyres / at least 175mm GC are required.

For "River Crossing" stunts seen on YouTube: A HEAVY 4x4 / Big Diesel engine / big and wide tyres / a VERY EXPERIENCED DRIVER are required.

People are using M800 and Santro in Leh and Ladak regions, any car will do. I have done unbelievable Off roading in Zen.

kkn13

Suspended
Please, M800 and hatches are pretty unsafe even if they are manageable
You cant expect someone who knows swimming in pools to swim the same way in a flood or the sea

Better use either Petrol NA (non turbo) engine, or a diesel engine car with low end torque and/or a rear-wheel drive. In terms of transmission, a CVT or torque-convertor is better than manual or other forms.

The turbo lag can catch a lot of non-regular drivers off guard on hill slopes in stop-go situations. An example, I have taken a Nissan Micra 1.2 (non-turbo) petrol up the Pune-Lavasa road , loaded with 4 adults and a kid, and it took that journey without breaking a sweat. The road has a bunch of interesting hairpin bends with steepish gradients. If it had been a turbo petrol and I had been a bit inexperienced, I would have strugged a bit.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Better use either Petrol NA (non turbo) engine, or a diesel engine car with low end torque and/or a rear-wheel drive. In terms of transmission, a CVT or torque-convertor is better than manual or other forms.

The turbo lag can catch a lot of non-regular drivers off guard on hill slopes in stop-go situations. An example, I have taken a Nissan Micra 1.2 (non-turbo) petrol up the Pune-Lavasa road , loaded with 4 adults and a kid, and it took that journey without breaking a sweat. The road has a bunch of interesting hairpin bends with steepish gradients. If it had been a turbo petrol and I had been a bit inexperienced, I would have strugged a bit.
VVT + Turbo might solve the lag issue [;)]
They tend to behave NA below turbo kick rpm levels

Top Bottom