Automatic Petrol Hatchback: Ford Figo 1.5P Titanium DCT vs Honda Jazz 1.2P V CVT

Which Automatic Petrol Hatchback Should I Buy?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hello.

We currently have a well aged 16-year old Hyundai Santro and a 4.5-year old Hyundai Verna 1.6D SX (O) MT. We’re planning to replace the former because it is old and in a state of disrepair and the latter because it’s been an expensive car to maintain and the low height makes the rear seat an uncomfortable place to get in, be in and get out of.

The approach road to our house is permanently and terribly broken and any car we buy needs to be able to weather it relatively well, lest we incur enormous repair charges even in the new vehicle. We’re planning to buy two cars: a Renault Duster 1.5P RxS CVT and an automatic hatchback.

The Duster will be used for the several long distance business road trips I undertake each year, both on the hills and in the plains, and for my father’s regular visits to an ashram in a nearby village that he oversees. The hatchback will be my daily commuter car, which will need to do about forty odd kilometres per day on busy, congested streets.

I was absolutely sold on the Honda Jazz 1.2P VX MT due to the very useful configurability of the magic seats. I was hoping to use the business class cabin configuration for my long trips and the tall mode to make it easier for me to change the plants in my office, which I do on a fortnightly basis.

However, after seeing the poor reviews of the Jazz’s 1.2-litre petrol engine mated to a manual transmission, and realising that the Duster would otherwise be infinitely more suitable for long drives, the lack of magic seats notwithstanding, I shelved that idea. Even though the cars will be driven by a driver 80% of the time, I definitely want the convenience of an automatic transmission.

My choice now lies between the Ford Figo and Honda Jazz. I am more inclined towards the Figo because of the trio of ESP, HLA and TCS, but I found the CVT in the Honda City far smoother in city traffic than the DCT of the EcoSport on the highway, and the Jazz is far more spacious than the Figo.

I spend most of the day travelling from one spot to another in a 15-kilometre radius, in a small city teeming with large SUVs on small roads, where parking is a nightmare in most places. The majority of the driving is handled by the driver and I’m on the rear seat.

Since I was unable to test the Figo DCT and Jazz CVT back-to-back in similar conditions, as I would ideally have loved to, I’m here to seek your opinion. Which car should I buy?

Jazz is fantastic car any day if it is petrol. But jazz is not for bad roads, it will rattle big inside. But for long drive on highways it is absolute gem. It has enormous lag in start stop traffic for manual transmission. I have Jazz svmt so i'm telling this based on my 9 mons exp.Your option Jazz v CVT auto is absolutely good and better in mileage too. If your ok with Volkswagen group , polo gt tsi is another good option to take a look.

Thread Starter #5
Thank you for your reply. I dearly want to buy a Polo GT but the only Volkswagen showroom in the city got shut down a few months ago and the service is currently being handled by a third party authorised by the company. And even if the showroom was still there, I’ve read nothing but horror stories about Volkswagen’s customer service and repair costs. Plus, we have terrible roads out here and reviews of the Polo always mention that this car demands good roads. That’s why it is not on the poll.

I was hoping for a little more input from the people here but the response to the thread is lacklustre.

Thank you for your reply. I dearly want to buy a Polo GT but the only Volkswagen showroom in the city got shut down a few months ago and the service is currently being handled by a third party authorised by the company. And even if the showroom was still there, I’ve read nothing but horror stories about Volkswagen’s customer service and repair costs. Plus, we have terrible roads out here and reviews of the Polo always mention that this car demands good roads. That’s why it is not on the poll.

I was hoping for a little more input from the people here but the response to the thread is lackluster.
The response in TAI could be less, because members could be hoping that fellow "TAIgers from your region (with adequate knowledge on the terrain)" would respond.

I give not one, but OUR answers.

Answer-1:
"Get a car with more Torque per weight, to tackle the unpaved hilly roads and with enough GC". With its 83 bHP, 115 NM Torque and 175mm GC, Maruti Baleno might fit the bill. OMG ... a Maruti hater just recommended a Maruti.

Answer-2:
Consider the Nissan Micra CVT. The narrow width could be ideal for your "parking nightmare". Somewhere I read, the CVT is engaging to drive. Could come in handy while going uphill. After all it is from Renault group. But do check out its GC.

Answer-3:
If you consider Celerio AVT, you might save another 50 mm in width (compared to Micra) to take care of your "parking nightmare".

Answer-4:
When the engine has low power, an autobox could struggle in Hilly conditions. Please correct me if I am wrong. Is an autobox mated to a less than 100 bHP engine suitable for your terrain ??? Why not a manual hatchback with optimum power and max GC combo.

Answer-5:
Considering the terrain, find out the "top 5 hatchbacks" seen in and around your area. Such cars are holding their own in the bumpy and broken roads in your area. Check your distance to the Service Centers. If required, get opinions of owners of these cars on the maintenance aspect, to fine-tune your choices. Check if auto transmission variant is offered in those models. THEN ask TAIgers for their opinion.

Happy with FIVE ??? [;)] Good luck in your quest.

Top Bottom