Help Me Choose My First Car Under Rs.5.5L Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

My family is looking to buy our first car and we are very excited about it. Budget set aside for the car is 5.5L. Monthly running will not be more than 500 kms. Car will be driven on decent Kerala roads with occasional long trips. Below are the contenders :

1. Maruthi Swift LXI optional : We love the looks of this car and the interior is not bad either. Maruti has excellent after sales service in Kerala. On road price comes to 5.35L lacs which includes driver side airbag. Since the Lxi version is bare bone, we need to spend a few thousand on accessories such as music system.

2. Tata tiago : My heart wants to for for Tiago. i was planning to get the XT(O) variant which was priced at 5.2L lakhs. Tiago also comes loaded with excellent music system & 2 air bags. The only thing stopping me from buying TATA is after sales service. I'm sure in Big cities such as Bangalore it would not be an issue but in smaller towns TATA service is very limited .

3. Wagon R: I'm able to squeeze in the top of the line variant with all bells in whistles in my budget. Wagon R has decent space but the engine feels under powered. It's also been around for far too long now.

If you guys have any other recommendations, feel free to share it.

Thanks
Sumesh

Re: Please help me choose my first car under 5.5L budget

Hi Sumesh,

If you are planning to get Swift then I must tell you the new Swift is about to launch by this year end (I guess). IMO buying current swift doesn't make sense.

Other than the cars you listed above, there are two more cars that you can check out. Baleno Sigma and Ignis Sigma. They both come with ABS and Airbags as standard and both are new cars in market. You will get same 4 cylinder Suzuki engine in both but with better safety compared to current Swift.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Thanks for the recommendations. I checked with Nexa and found out that Baleno Sigma sells for 6.1 lakhs on road here while the Delta variant is 7L. Sigma variant seems to be more value for money. If Baleno is a much better car than swift, i might as well stretch my budget by another 60k and get it. Guys, how much will a decent music system cost? Will it void the electric warranty if he decide the install the music system from the market?

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Guys, how much will a decent music system cost? Will it void the electric warranty if he decide the install the music system from the market?
To decide upon the ICE Unit buddy, first decide on the budget and the configuration you need based on the kind of music you like to listen on the drive. Installing an aftermarket system will void warranty in-case any wiring et al is sliced off.

Regards

Akash

Thanks for the recommendations. I checked with Nexa and found out that Baleno Sigma sells for 6.1 lakhs on road here while the Delta variant is 7L. Sigma variant seems to be more value for money. If Baleno is a much better car than swift, i might as well stretch my budget by another 60k and get it. Guys, how much will a decent music system cost? Will it void the electric warranty if he decide the install the music system from the market?
You can check Ignis too. Proven engine, seating is sufficient enough if not good but you will have to compromise with it's rear looks (subjective).

If you have budget then avoid TATA brand, that's the best suggestion I can give. But if tight on budget then go with Tiago and enjoy moments with TATA MOTORS.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

You can check Ignis too. Proven engine, seating is sufficient enough if not good but you will have to compromise with it's rear looks (subjective).

If you have budget then avoid TATA brand, that's the best suggestion I can give. But if tight on budget then go with Tiago and enjoy moments with TATA MOTORS.
Looks of Ignis is putting me off. It looks rather quirky for my liking.

Well, I have upped my budget to include the base model of Baleno. I know the base model is bare-bone but at least it comes with all the safety features. Things like parking sensor, Music system can be added later. I'm not sure how long the waiting period of Baleno base model is .

Taxes in Kerala is designed in such a way that a car costing ~ 5 laks ex showroom has to to pay comparatively less roads tax than a model priced above 5 lakhs. Therefore, the on road difference between Sigma and Delta model is a whooping 1 lakh rupees.

I would suggest Tiago XZ P and w/o alloys. Its a full featured car and you'd love being in a feature loaded car rather than a bare bones one. It too has its cons like power loss for 2-3secs at times and minor vibrations when idle but apart from this car is very good. If these cons matter then consider buying Grand i10 atleadt sportz. There are multiple ownership reviews in TAI and TBHP. Would suggest going through them.

My pick would be Tiago or Tigor,

I would suggest Tigor petrol more as the engine is now fitted with balancer shaft and no vibrations on gear leaver as in Tiago and you get a smooth, stylish, coupe style small sedan.

Check which variant is coming under your budget and TD these beauties. Am sure you will come out impressed [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
UPDATE : Received a callback from Hyundai sales rep mentioning that they have a new consumer offer going on. For the sports(0) pertrol model, on road price is 6.3 lacs including free insurance, extended warranty, RSA and consumer discount of almost 30k. Only negative is that there is no ABS. Sportz variant comes with both air bags though. Is this a good deal?

UPDATE : Received a callback from Hyundai sales rep mentioning that they have a new consumer offer going on. For the sports(0) pertrol model, on road price is 6.3 lacs including free insurance, extended warranty, RSA and consumer discount of almost 30k. Only negative is that there is no ABS. Sportz variant comes with both air bags though. Is this a good deal?
I personally won't advise anyone to go for a car which isn't equipped with ABS and Airbags. So I would suggest you to stick to Maruti Baleno.
Anyways in petrol Baleno is better in-terms of performance.

Take a test drive of Ignis base (Sigma) model. It comes with ABS and dual airbags. You also get front power windows. It comes with a very smooth and refined petrol engine.

kkn13

Suspended
Id say Baleno, Ignis or upcoming Swift, they have better legroom and height than Tiago and unless you need the additional features of Tiago , the engine options of the Marutis are more proven and youll not have any iffy after sales or resale
Personally Id try for discounts on older Swift as its gonna be updated soon, youll get a proven vehicle whose parts and resale wont be an issue and is fairly popular in later years too

Tata will be an iffy buy and unless you have the time and money to take that chance, Id stick with Maruti and Hyundai. Dont get me wrong, its a good attempt by Tata

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Guys, thanks for the suggestions. Got a very sweet deal on face lifted Hyundai i10. Got the sports variant with free insurance, 20k discount,extended warranty and RSA. Total on road price comes to 6.1 Lacs.

SA has a few Grand i10 in his stock. Unfortunately, their stockyard is in an open ground and all the vehicles are exposed to Rain, Sun 24/7. It is advisable to get these vehicles in stock or insist on booking a new one and wait for 2 more weeks?

Personally Id try for discounts on older Swift as its gonna be updated soon, youll get a proven vehicle whose parts and resale wont be an issue and is fairly popular in later years too
I have heard great things about Maruti but my experience with their sales guys/shoowroom hasn't been very positive. The lady from Maruti showroom was not as responsive as Hyundai guys. She was not ready to give anything more than 10k consumer discount on Swift LXI optional with a take it or leave it attitude. Nexa was not any better either. I had put a request for Baleno Quote on Nexa website but there hasn't been any update on it.

Hyundai SA was a very well behaved kind guy who even bought the car to my home for test ride( 20 kms from Showroom). Hyundai was far more responsive than both TAT & Maruti sales team.

Take a test drive of Ignis base (Sigma) model. It comes with ABS and dual airbags. You also get front power windows. It comes with a very smooth and refined petrol engine.
Quirky looks of Ignis has put me off. I'm sure Ignis has a very capable engine with all bells & whistles but it looks plain ugly to me( On offence meant to any Ignis owners)

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Guys, thanks for the suggestions. Got a very sweet deal on face lifted Hyundai i10. Got the sports variant with free insurance, 20k discount,extended warranty and RSA. Total on road price comes to 6.1 Lacs.

Hyundai SA was a very well behaved kind guy who even bought the car to my home for test ride( 20 kms from Showroom). Hyundai was far more responsive than both TAT & Maruti sales team.
i am getting this from my dealer if you are interested.

1. Insurance free
2.Extended warranty and RSA free (3 years )
3. 45k cash discount.
4. 20k exchange bonus.

so you can get your car for 5.85 lakhs on road.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
i am getting this from my dealer if you are interested.

1. Insurance free
2.Extended warranty and RSA free (3 years )
3. 45k cash discount.
4. 20k exchange bonus.

so you can get your car for 5.85 lakhs on road.
WOW that's crazy discount. Is this on the face lifted model?i tried to negotiate for more than 20k in cash discount but the dealers were unwilling to provide any

BTW, i'm buying this car in Kerala.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom