Maruti Baleno Petrol or Ford Figo Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I am looking to purchase my first car,and starting to realize how difficult a decision it really is.I was considering a petrol car and New Figo and Baleno was on my list.I took the TD of both car,but was disappointed with rather dull performace of 1.2 petrol Figo.I liked the drive on Baleno and booked the delta variant.
Now i am having a change of mind to consider a diesel car as most of my friends who own a petrol car regrets that they didnt go for diesel.I am not sure presently my usage demands a diesel,but I I hope that it might make sense in the longer run.
I am considering the figo 1.5 diesel as it costs around 40-50k more than the Baleno petrol.I am not considering the baleno diesel as it is outside my budget.
Is figo a better buy for me?With the recent changes at ford I think the service of ford is much better and mentaining figo wont be much expensive compared to maruti..I understand the resale value of ford will be much lesser than maruti.. Is there anything more I need to consider before making the final decision..I would appreciate all valueble feedback from the knowledgeble people..Thanks in advance

Ford figo diesel is very fun to drive. Seriously, 1.5L diesel puts a smile on your face immediately. Some ford's have steering pull, just be wary of that.

I would recommend you to wait till OCT 2017 if you can since BNVSAP will start. Based on that results you can decide.

Please don't fall into the trap of resale value, Safety is more important. Sadly in India unsafe cars have more resale value than safer car.

You also need to consider your monthly avg running. If you drive <500kms in a month I would recommend you petrol cars only since they are cheaper to maintain than diesel counterparts.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your response.
I took the TD of figo diesel and I realy enjoyed it.I dont think i am patient enough to wait till OCT[;)].. As you may know Figo is tested in NCAP and has 3star rating..so i think ,it is relatively safe..do you think BNVSAP results will have more significance?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
The thing you need to consider are the discounts you should get on the figo. Make sure you make the sa understand that you are doing a favor buying the figo. Get alteast 30k cash discounts plus 4 years extended warranty plus freebies like parking sensors and seat covers if you want. Plus you will get 8% interest rate on loan(ford provided loan)
Get insurance quote from outside and ask the sa to match the quote or just buy it yourself.

Check my ownership review for service and other updates. You won't regret owning the car.

I wouldn't think much of bnvsap since the checkings will be done below the NCAP safety parameters but yeah if your running is less then don't buy the diesel.

Last edited:
The equation is very simple.
Petrol- Balneo
Diesel- Figo

Positives in Petrol Baleno:
1) Good Looks.
2) Rear leg room space.
3) Lots of features.
4) Great petrol motor
5) Buttery gearshift.
6) Good after sales service and resale value

Negatives in Petrol Baleno:
1) Build quality is just average
2) Interior plastic quality is not good.
3) Not at all safe for highway rides above 100kmph.

Positives in Figo:
1) Very good diesel motor
2) Build quality is better in figo compare to baleno
3) Looks are subjective but i liked the look.
4) The driving dynamics are excellent.

Negatives in Diesel Figo:
1) The build quality is degraded compare to earlier ford vehicles.
2) The gear shift is just pathetic. If you buy a manual transmission then just consider this point.
3) Rear Legroom space is less.
4) The instrument cluster is not worth in a 700K car.

Baleno's weight and low build quality always make me feel uncomfortable, even the interior quality is not that great.

Figo Diesel is the best choice if your running is adequate enough for the premium.

And yes if you bargain properly then you might not pay that extra amount vs Baleno.

BTW which variant of Figo are you looking for? Yesterday I got to see the S variant of Figo and it was a looker especially with that honeycomb grill.

Figo diesel would be awesome . Ask the dealer for his best price . Discounts of min 25000 should be provided by your dealer and freebies on top of that . You can also check the tigor petrol , it's lovely designed car with a decent petrol engine (no match to Figo diesel though) . Tata tigor would also be well within your budget and you can get a well loaded top end xz variant . Sorry if I have brought in more confusion .

Thread Starter #8
The thing you need to consider are the discounts you should get on the figo. Make sure you make the sa understand that you are doing a favor buying the figo. Get alteast 30k cash discounts plus 4 years extended warranty plus freebies like parking sensors and seat covers if you want. Plus you will get 8% interest rate on loan(ford provided loan)
Get insurance quote from outside and ask the sa to match the quote or just buy it yourself.

Check my ownership review for service and other updates. You won't regret owning the car.

I wouldn't think much of bnvsap since the checkings will be done below the NCAP safety parameters but yeah if your running is less then don't buy the diesel.
Thanks for your feedback.
Initially my dealer here in kerala was quoting an amount of 7.78L(on road)..I have approached different dealers and they have given different prices.. latest quote i have is 7.5L without any promise of freebies and additional accessory.. do you think its a good deal?
I should try more to get maximum out of these people.. I am gonna try hard[clap].. Thanks very much for your inputs

The equation is very simple.
Petrol- Balneo
Diesel- Figo

Positives in Petrol Baleno:
1) Good Looks.
2) Rear leg room space.
3) Lots of features.
4) Great petrol motor
5) Buttery gearshift.
6) Good after sales service and resale value

Negatives in Petrol Baleno:
1) Build quality is just average
2) Interior plastic quality is not good.
3) Not at all safe for highway rides above 100kmph.

Positives in Figo:
1) Very good diesel motor
2) Build quality is better in figo compare to baleno
3) Looks are subjective but i liked the look.
4) The driving dynamics are excellent.

Negatives in Diesel Figo:
1) The build quality is degraded compare to earlier ford vehicles.
2) The gear shift is just pathetic. If you buy a manual transmission then just consider this point.
3) Rear Legroom space is less.
4) The instrument cluster is not worth in a 700K car.
Thanks for your comments.
Build quality of Baleno was something i was concerned about when I booked the car...Figo's build seems decent enough eventhough it cannot match with its older generation..

Last edited by a moderator:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
No, ask for the deal i told you. I was getting the same for aspire in april excluding the seat covers.Don't mind telling different dealers what you are getting from another dealer. Also 778 includes around 10k extra for insurance(they quote extra in price list, after market quote is always less) ask him the discounts without the insurance quote. And like kasscon mentioned you should try the s variant if budget permits.

@ balenoed - agreed about the gearshifts. Every car manufacturer should atleast make the gears and clutch as smooth as possible because i think that's the first thing any person will check either in the showroom or during a test drive.
I booked the elantra only after i got a feel about the clutch travel and smoothness.

Rear legroom is not compareable to baleno but i think it's above average and definitely not poor.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Baleno's weight and low build quality always make me feel uncomfortable, even the interior quality is not that great.

Figo Diesel is the best choice if your running is adequate enough for the premium.

And yes if you bargain properly then you might not pay that extra amount vs Baleno.

BTW which variant of Figo are you looking for? Yesterday I got to see the S variant of Figo and it was a looker especially with that honeycomb grill.
Thanks for the feed back.
I am determined to bargain hard to get the best deal[cheers].
I am looking to buy the Titanium variant not the sport one.. And yes,that honeycomb grill is just awsome.I wish to replace the chrome grill with the honeycomb one some day[:)]

Figo diesel would be awesome . Ask the dealer for his best price . Discounts of min 25000 should be provided by your dealer and freebies on top of that . You can also check the tigor petrol , it's lovely designed car with a decent petrol engine (no match to Figo diesel though) . Tata tigor would also be well within your budget and you can get a well loaded top end xz variant . Sorry if I have brought in more confusion .
Thanks for your inputs.
Tigor might be good.. But i don't feel like buying a TATA car.Baleno would be my choice if at all I decide to go the petrol way..

Comparing two car in different fuel type is not the right compare. Diesel will always have a clear win when is comes to performance [except for few cars like POLO TSI].

Now Baleno has different purpose compared to Figo [if you compare them in diesel].

Baleno is big wide spacious and more feature rich than Figo. But Figo wins over the built quality and performance. If you are family of 4+1kid then Figo is better to have [except you are not really a tall family of 6 feet.]

The 1.5 ltr 100PS engine booms on highway and the turbocharger really kicks in at relatively low rpm about 1500+, which makes FIGO a better performer in city and highway, so practically don't have much gear change in urban traffic. But you will have to settle with less features.

But for Baleno, you get Navigation, touchscreen infotainment system, lot of space, style, HID's etc and feature list goes on.

Which to choose?
- If you do not belong to family of very tall people, do believe in performance and can settle with practical use then CHOOSE FIGO. [Diesel top end with 6 airbag comes at 8.25 lac approx.] Ford claims to have less maintenance and low spare cost as compared to others

- If you are family of mostly travelling 5 people with love of style, gadgets then looking for more space then CHOOSE BALENO. [Diesel top end Alpha comes at 9.5 lac approx.]

You can checkout

TIGOR - new stylish but with low engine spec
i20 Elite - an alternative to Baleno
Polo - best performer, best built quality

If going for petrol, how about Honda Jazz? It has one of the best engine in petrol category and you'll definitely love it. Though I wish it had 1.5 i-Vtec instead of 1.2.

Vehicle has ample of interior space and boot. Ride and Handling are good too. TD the vehicle if you haven't yet. :)

On the other hand, I think Baleno diesel is better then petrol.

Thread Starter #15
Comparing two car in different fuel type is not the right compare. Diesel will always have a clear win when is comes to performance [except for few cars like POLO TSI].

Now Baleno has different purpose compared to Figo [if you compare them in diesel].

Baleno is big wide spacious and more feature rich than Figo. But Figo wins over the built quality and performance. If you are family of 4+1kid then Figo is better to have [except you are not really a tall family of 6 feet.]

The 1.5 ltr 100PS engine booms on highway and the turbocharger really kicks in at relatively low rpm about 1500+, which makes FIGO a better performer in city and highway, so practically don't have much gear change in urban traffic. But you will have to settle with less features.

But for Baleno, you get Navigation, touchscreen infotainment system, lot of space, style, HID's etc and feature list goes on.

Which to choose?
- If you do not belong to family of very tall people, do believe in performance and can settle with practical use then CHOOSE FIGO. [Diesel top end with 6 airbag comes at 8.25 lac approx.] Ford claims to have less maintenance and low spare cost as compared to others

- If you are family of mostly travelling 5 people with love of style, gadgets then looking for more space then CHOOSE BALENO. [Diesel top end Alpha comes at 9.5 lac approx.]

You can checkout

TIGOR - new stylish but with low engine spec
i20 Elite - an alternative to Baleno
Polo - best performer, best built quality
Thanks for your feedback.
We are a family of 5 and we are not that tall.And yes,baleno has plenty of leg room at rear..but fogo's leg space is just about adequate.Baleno has plenty of features in the top end,but i was considering the delta variant based on my budget.And Figo Titanium has more or less all features I am looking for.. only real miss is the reverse parking sensor.So yes..I think I am leaning towards the FIGO.. I need to negotiate and get the best deal out ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom