Polo or No Polo? Suggestions Welcome

Is POLO easy to maintain!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am going to buy a vehicle (My first CAR) in near future.

I had lot of doubts and still can't decide what to buy. My dream Car is VW POLO and my budget is around 7L (+/-30).
Please suggest me whether go for it or go for Hundai and I decided not to go for Maruti.

My view is to go for POLO CL 1.2 Petrol.

I may travel <1000 KL per month (hopefully) and road trip for sure once in every 3 months.

Please suggest pros and cons.

Drive Safe,
JK

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I had lot of doubts and still can't decide what to buy. My dream Car is VW POLO and my budget is around 7L (+/-30).
Please suggest me whether go for it or go for Hundai and I decided not to go for Maruti.

I may travel <1000 KL per month (hopefully) and road trip for sure once in every 3 months.

Hi James. VW Polo is a enthusiast's delight in terms of performance and even looks. Its a popular hatchback too. Build quality wise German Build quality is superior to the likes of Maruti. However, the doubtful part of owning a VW / Skoda is the after sales. Also, the AC vents in Polo, if I am correct are too delicate and break off easily at times of service. The car is good one but you need to be calm and patient while dealing the servicing part of it buddy. If you have the budget and looking for a 1.2 L engine then check out Tiago, Tigor, New i10, even Figo is a good one.

Regards

Akash

Hi Friends,

Drive Safe,
JK
Let me start with a pic of my Polo petrol Comfortline, with Ameo:

I won't say that I am most qualified to answer this query because the guys telling that Polo is not easy to maintain are also the owners :biggrin:

Here is my experience with my VW Polo 1.2 CL:
One accident already faced

Total cost of maintenance for entire 22000 kms my petrol Polo has covered in last 17 months is:
6220 for service
1040 for inspection and a bracket replacement

Total I have spent is Rs 7,260 on my Polo petrol in terms of maintenance in last 17 months or 22000 kilometers.

On my Polo diesel Highline, I have spent around:
9,200 + 10,600 + 7,800 + 800 + 1900 + 1900 = Total 32,200 bucks in 47,000 kilometers or 18 months of ownership.

Other than this, except a minor warranty replacement in the diesel car and a slightly bad experience with the petrol car after the bonnet and front bumper were replaced in an accident, the service part has been blissful for me. Polo is not that hard to maintain, you just need to be a bit cautious at your end and have to learn to sternly tell service station guys that they are supposed to do only and only the servicing, nothing else at all. My 10,600 bill for Polo diesel was for only the reason that I allowed them do everything in their list.

Polo petrol fuel economy:
City: 11-12 kpl max
City, tight traffic: 8-9 kpl max
Highway, sober drive: 17-18 kpl, can reach 19 too
Highway, hard foot drive: 13-14 kpl max

If I go by the overall FE figures those I get for around 37-63 city highway run (My regular drive), then it comes out to be around 16.4 kpl for petrol Polo and around 19 kpl for diesel Polo, note down that my chauffy is a sober and calm driver.

kkn13

Suspended
Id say go for Figo diesel imho
VW has too mixed reports about ASC experience and is best suited for enthusiasts who dont mind nit picking and getting things done from local workshops etc using original or aftermarket parts etc

Ford ASC is apparently better than VW and provides a great pleasure to drive and maintain

As a recent entrant to the VW family courtesy the Polo GT TSI, I'd say go for it! It has a lovely 'driver's car feel. But I'd up my budget a bit for a more powerful variant like a TDI. There are better petrol cars with competitors purely vis-a-vis the 1.2 MPI engine.

Hi Friends,

Drive Safe,
JK
I would suggest to go for Ford Figo 1.5 AT Titanium+ variant with comes with really good features like 6 airbags and ESP that would not over shoot your budget my big margin.

You will not regret the performance of the car.

Ford spares are now relatively cheaper than Maruti and Hyundai as they claims.
Test drive the FIGO to have better knowledge of the car.

I would suggest to go for Ford Figo 1.5 AT Titanium+ variant with comes with really good features like 6 airbags and ESP that would not over shoot your budget my big margin.

You will not regret the performance of the car.

Ford spares are now relatively cheaper than Maruti and Hyundai as they claims.
Test drive the FIGO to have better knowledge of the car.

Figo AT will be way over their budget. On road price is 9.18L .

Apart from maintenance and FE, I drove Polo petrol only once and I didn't liked it as it never looked so much enthusiastic or sporty as I read in many places on web. The biggest dislike for me was the headroom and legroom too, I am 5'10"with bit long leg size. So first check on this point and take a call

Hello JamesK,

Had the same dilemma a year ago. In the end i bought Polo CL 1.2L Petrol.
Polo is easy to maintain believe me you pay 3.5K for the synthetic engine oil + other services (which every car charges the same) yearly once you visit service center / 15k kms while others 6months/10k kms.
DO NOT FORGET TO BUY INSURANCE B2B ZERO DEP & ENGINE WARRANTY
have the above you will definitely enjoy your ride. Make your decision based on what your heart says don't listen to mind it never settles.
There are few threads on Team-BHP & here follow them for regular updates; you need to be careful when you give your car at the service center ask them clearly what they are going to do on your car and get an estimation before job card gets prepared, at the time of delivery any deviation from the estimated bill question them and ask them why was it not informed to you in the first place.

Cheers!!!

No. Polo is too cramped with limited legroom both driver and back seats, limited service, and is too noisy due to its 3 pot engine. I found most people buy it because it is financed by VW with lower interest rate.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Yeah other than the explosive performance of the Ameo/Polo diesel engine, I personally cant fathom VW's offerings much unless its a single user car
Even the Vento/Rapid feels very small on the inside and not as comfy as the City, Verna or Ciaz
My pick would be the City overall even though I find the current gen a downgrade compared to my 2010 City

As for Polo category, Id take the Figo diesel or a base Honda City petrol instead given the pricing

There are plenty of Maruti and Hyundai cars you can buy for the budget of 7L. Why settle for a car with 3 cylinder engine ? These German cars are not cheap to maintain in the long term. And the less said about VW ASS the better.

Just visited Fiat showroom, Fiat Punto 90 HP top end diesel comes at price 8.20 lac.
If you are buying a car on loan then 1 lac difference wont make the hefty EMI. I really like the built quality of that car. You can still negotiate with the dealer for better price.

Last edited:
Update:
The 30k kms service bill for my Polo 1.2 CL is INR 7785 only.

So, all I spent on my Polo C/L petrol for 29k kms (30k service done) is:
7260 + 7785 = 15,045 only

On these 7785, around 1700 bucks have gone for replacement of spark plugs, that VW service schedule mentions to be done every 30k kms.

I completely agree with Akash1886
Polo is very fun to drive, on highway and in traffic too. Seat is very comfortable. Stick to road on high speeds gives confidence on highway rides. But I just want to share horrible experience faced by one of my colleague with car engine and VW service guys.
Below is snapshot with he posted on FB.

polo.JPG

Now issue resolved and car is running fine.
As suggested by above by many, you can think about Ford Figo or you can wait for TATA Tiago limited edition.

Last edited:

Top Bottom