Automatic Hatchback Under Rs.6 Lacs: Wagon-R vs Celerio vs Kwid vs Tiago

Thread Starter #1
Hi All

I am planning to purchase a automatic hatchback. That have to be used by my father & by my wife. my major requirements in new car is

1. easy to drive with good all around visibility.
2. easy to get in & out (thats why i have not added alto in list.)
3. low cost or maintenance & running as have to drive 1000 to 1500km/per month.
4. safety :- ABS + 2 airbags (must)

Good to have :-
1. power windows
2. music system.

Please suggest & if anyone using any of these car then please share feedback / review.

Re: automatic hatchback under 6L : Wagon R or celerio or Kwid or Tiago

1. easy to drive with good all around visibility.
2. easy to get in & out (thats why i have not added alto in list.)
3. low cost or maintenance & running as have to drive 1000 to 1500km/per month.
4. safety :- ABS + 2 airbags (must)
As per your requirements, Tiago XZA seems to be apt. Except point no. 2, which WagonR excels in (among the 4 cars). Not suggesting other (Maruti and Renault) coz of their mediocre build quality.

Overall Tiago XZA is the best here but for your parents requirement Wagon R suits more as its ingress egress is the best. Kwid body only is very weak and is a A segment car with many unsafe features loaded (3 nuts in wheels, single wiper). Within 6Lacs definitely Tiago (might be slightly higher than 6). Higher budget choose AT/CVT instead of AMT. If you're okay with 4 seater then Wagon R is good.

Last edited:

You got 2 best options for you:

Tata Tiago - best built, great handling, driving comfort, feature loaded and good looks

Wagon R - good for ingress & egress (elders prospective) and bit of a better resale but outdated design.

Would suggest you to take your wife and father along for TD of Tiago and ask them if they are fine with egress n ingress. If yes then go with Tiago eyes closed.

Last edited:
Tiago is a tall car and seats are high mounted, ingress and egress is not an issue with Tiago. Also the quality of parts used in Tiago are of very high grade (open the hood, you'll find mostly Bosch everywhere). I would suggest you to check out Tiago before buying any other car.

Ignis is another contender.

If you don't like Tiago, then buy any other car but not Kwid. Kwid isn't a car, its a cruel joke.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Oh yeah forgot about Ignis
Also a good car and the AMT variant is the only well priced variant however it loses out on certain features but you have the option of 1.3 MJD and AMT which is a good combo and I see you have experience with the engine as well

Oh yeah forgot about Ignis
Also a good car and the AMT variant is the only well priced variant however it loses out on certain features but you have the option of 1.3 MJD and AMT which is a good combo and I see you have experience with the engine as well
According to his running (if it is 1500 km only) then AMT + Oil bunner seems perfert combo.
But option get limited to Ignis itself. He might be able to get Zeta AMT.

If he is comfortable with N.A. petrol engine, he can also take look at Figo 1.5L DCT.

kkn13

Suspended
According to his running (if it is 1500 km only) then AMT + Oil bunner seems perfert combo.

If he is comfortable with N.A. petrol engine, he can also take look at Figo 1.5L DCT.
Yeah Figo 1.5 is a great engine but the DCT bit is a bit scary though Im 100% sure, its smoother and better than AMT even though everyone criticizes the DCT shifting times and performance

Probably an actual owner of the Figo or Ecosport 1.5 DCT can elaborate his experiences

If not , AMT is fairly alright when paired with 1.2 3 cylinder in Tiago , 1.3 MJD (Maruti and Tata) and 1.2 K-series

I had the opportunity to live with the Wagon R AMT after I sold my Ritz 1.3 MJD for a few weeks. My friend offered me his brand new Wagon R AMT, originally bought for his mother to learn driving (didnt happen) and it was lying unused.

It was pretty good for the price, steering was a bonus compared to my Ritz, dimensions were a bit odd coming from the Ritz and turning radius etc was much better than my Ritz too.

It lacks low end grunt and does extreme downshifts if acc is pressed hard. Overall it was a boon in traffic and has the airiest cabin of all hatchbacks that Ive driven though a bit bare. Mid range is fairly strong and has a fair surge of torque for such a small engine. NVH is bad and engine noise is very annoying.

PS - To force upshifts, there is a trick to let go of accelerator a bit and itll upshift immediately. Hill climbs etc are very scary with AMT especially the Kwid AMT which lacks grunt as well as a manual mode (Horrible TD experience thanks to this)

AMT is more sorted with high torque engines from what Ive seen(Ignis, Zest and Dzire- all 1.3 MJD)

^^ I know a bit long but hoping it helps OP

Thread Starter #10
Overall Tiago XZA is the best here but for your parents requirement Wagon R suits more as its ingress egress is the best. Kwid body only is very weak and is a A segment car with many unsafe features loaded (3 nuts in wheels, single wiper). Within 6Lacs definitely Tiago (might be slightly higher than 6). Higher budget choose AT/CVT instead of AMT. If you're okay with 4 seater then Wagon R is good.
Most of time car have to be used by 1 or 2 persons & 50% use is remains in city, for kwid i am also not interested as didn't like its build quality, only options are Wagon R & Tiago. i am more interested for Tiago.

GautamJ for Ignis there is only 2 regions not to consider it 1. its much above my budget
2. i am looking for a car that didn't have fast acceleration as both my father & my wife not able to handle 1.3 DDiS, so i have concern about safety of my family members as well as the people on the road.

kkn13

Suspended
GautamJ for Ignis there is only 2 regions not to consider it 1. its much above my budget
2. i am looking for a car that didn't have fast acceleration as both my father & my wife not able to handle 1.3 DDiS, so i have concern about safety of my family members as well as the people on the road.
Dont worry about 2. AMT is pretty sluggish in every engine its mated to, 1.3 MJD will even out its cons and at the same time , it will nowhere be near the performance of the manual 1.3 MJD

Take a TD imho, since running is higher and accounts for a diesel car and Ignis ingress, egress, seating is a bit better than Tiago

Still pricing considered Tiago offers a good package and I will never recommend Kwid AMT given lack of manual and power

Thread Starter #12
Visited Tata & Maruti Suzuki showrooms

for Gurgaon registration on-road price is as

Celerio Lxi(O) AGS - 5.27
Celerio Vxi(O) AGS - 5.60
Celerio Zxi(O) AGS - 5.95

Wagon R Vxi+ (O) - 6.03

Tiago XZA - 6.15 (without basic accessory package )

Tata yet not having test drive vehicle so i put request for test drive. over all Tiago is looking best among shortlisted cars.

Top Bottom