Need Best Diesel Sedan Under Rs.10 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I was using my Fordikon since 2005. Although I bought several cars since then, but kept my ford till now- Main reason poor resale value, and i have drove it around 55000 km only.

But now as i have to drive 80 kms a day for my work, I require a diesel car. As of now I am using my XUV, but the rising fuel prices and aging XUV, i am thinking of changinf my ford ikon with some good fuel efficient sedan.

My budge is around 8-9 lakhs only. I shortlisted Ciaz Diesel, but the car Diesel Zeta model is costing me 10.30 lakh on Road in New Delhi with no discounts/ offers . New Xcent launched just now, but spending 8.5 lakhs on xcent doesn't seem right.

Please suggest some good options. And should I go for some premium D segment second hand car like Toyota Corolla.

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Need Best Diesel Sedan under 10lakh

Ciaz diesel is a fine car, oodles of space, torquey engine etc. Great for city and highway runs
A used Corolla isnt a bad idea either, but getting one with lesser miles is a bit tougher with Toyotas.
Just get it checked out by Toyota ASC before purchasing though

I know people with even H2 Corollas running fine, one even at 3L km (3 people to be precise). (Not suggesting you buy an H2 Corolla of course, just mentioned to prove its reliability)
The 1.8 petrol engine is very long lasting and reliable and is still present in the Altis. Avoid the 1.4 diesel Altis, its not as refined as the 1.8 and is underpowered for the Altis.

Another good used option might be 2009-2012 City, only available in petrol though. Upgrade tyres to 185 or 195 and try for facelifted 2012 models, they have slightly better suspension and GC. FE is around 8-10kmpl in Mumbai traffic, highway - 13-14kmpl. Prices are around 3.5-4L for good condition ones.

But if I have to be frank, Ciaz Diesel offers more reliability and peace of mind for the price.
Im guessing you want a good city car which is reliable,comfortable etc with good resale, no niggles, good after sales and parts .

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
In 8-9 lakhs you should either buy a lower variant sedan ( ciaz delta ) or get a top end hatchback.

I checked on olx and carwale , you wil get the last generation altis and they were priced between 5-7 lakhs. I would prefer a new car to an old one.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
New Options

1) If you love Maruti then go for New Dzire or CIAZ (lower spec)

2) Ford Aspire.

3) TATA Zest (there are discounts on it)

4) Amaze Diesel

5) Toyota Etios

Also, suggest you to avoid a diesel Tigor. The engine is not a outstanding performer. Even though its a nice package in terms of looks, features et al, yet the biggest issue is the diesel engine.

Used

In used the safe option of diesel would be any Toyota Etios, Corolla and even Honda City. Do note, Diesel engine Honda City would not be as refined as a diesel CIAZ though. Also check for a used Verna.

Regards

Akash

If you do not wish to compromise on space and features plus the aesthetic should be good then buying a lower variant is not a good idea, atleast when you have another car like XUV. I would rather suggest to go for top-end Baleno Alpha or i20 Asta(0) diesel's.

For the traffic conditions like Delhi hatchback should be first option IMO.

Baleno looks really nice and had good peppy diesel engine with great mileage. Have a look at Baleno or i20. I have a feeling that you will settle down with either of twos.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can go for i20 if hatchback or Tata Zest would be my first choice. Total VFM and oodles of space inside with great interiors vs etios.

I would suggest TOYOTA ETIOS which is cheaper to maintain and good service back up as is proven by thousands of etios cabs in india.
I wouldn't suggest Etios as its too much cab thing now and like indica now. Also interiots are too dull, exteriors are unappealing and is a car in which you'll feel motion sickness more than any car. I never feel motion sickness in any car but in Etios on AC. Even my relatives complained of this in our recent Mysore trip. Under 10 Lacs Petrol i20 or Jazz are among best options. For Diesel, i20, Aspire, Zest, Tigor, Amaze all are good (Jazz not so in D)

Would suggest CIAZ hybrid eyes closed as I have been using one since almost a year now after changing from Renault Scala.
Some inputs from my side to support my statement [:)]
The best car in the segment within your budget, has very good legroom, elegant interiors, power is good and economical too along with smart exterior as well. I have run approx. 25k Kms till now and have regularly got a mileage of 20+ Kmpl in 30% city and 70% highway (busy one).
Not too heavy on pocket as my maintenance expense has been approx. 12K including 3 free service and 1 paid with all consumables included.
Very comfortable for long routes as I have done approx. 700Kms/ day twice including hilly drive and drive in snow and would say that it handles pretty well with full load and gives you no fatigue at all.

kkn13

Suspended
I wouldn't suggest Etios as its too much cab thing now and like indica now. Also interiots are too dull, exteriors are unappealing and is a car in which you'll feel motion sickness more than any car. I never feel motion sickness in any car but in Etios on AC. Even my relatives complained of this in our recent Mysore trip. Under 10 Lacs Petrol i20 or Jazz are among best options. For Diesel, i20, Aspire, Zest, Tigor, Amaze all are good (Jazz not so in D)
Tigor diesel is very crude and lacks power, if Tigor , petrol is better option imho

Top Bottom