Maruti Gypsy New / Used

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to buy a Maruti Gypsy for off road trips initially and then participate in some rally events once I am comfortable driving it. I have plans to make rally modifications to the car later on.

My options are:

1.Buy a used army owned Gypsy which are currently being sold. They are available at a cost of around 2 lakhs,and being a army owned vehicle, I will be the first civilian owner of the car, the initial registration will give the car 15 years of life. The cars are used ruggedly by the army and there is no telling how much they have run till date,however the body is not rusted and seems to be in fine condition.

I am willing to completely restore the vehicle with a budget of 1 lakh using Maruti genuine spares.

2.Buy a new Maruti Gypsy from Maruti (after order), which costs me around 6.5 lakhs on road for the hard top version.

Both options are within my budget, but I am not able to decide which one would be the better deal.

Thanks for your help.
Anshul

Hi Anshul,

I am also in same boat, looking for used gypsy. I have budget constraint so looking only used gypsy. 2 lakh for army scraped vehicle seems on high side. It also depends on condition of vehicle.

If you are looking for modifying it then it is good that you go for used ones. In my opinion it makes less sense modifying new vehicle.

These are just my personal opinion, i may be wrong.

For my favour from where are you getting used gypsy?

Thread Starter #3
Hi Neeraj,

Many other people have also suggested me to go for a used gypsy, however I have not decided as yet.

As for Army Gypsys, there is a auto dealer Kuber Auto in Dehradun who has got hold of a dozen Gypsys scrapped by the Army, I am not sure how many he has left now.

The cars dont seem to be in good condition though, the only thing that is clean and good are the documents. The restoration of those vehicles along with Rally mods could easily cost around 1.5 lakhs.

Anshul

Thanks Anshul for info. If possible may you please share his mobile number and location of garage??

I went to mayapuri in delhi but somehow not able to convince myself to buy from there.

Regards
Neeraj

bhvm

Honoured Member
Army gypsies are often abused to the core, Who knows about timely service and oils.
Maybe the engine is on last legs. If you are Rallying, Doing OTRs as a career, get a new Gypsy. The reliability and performance could be the difference in 1st place and last.

Thread Starter #6
Hi Neeraj,

Sorry for the late reply buddy, I have been busy @ work for the last few days. The dealers name in Dehradun is Kuber Auto and contact # is 7830400050

Anshul

As far as the new/old gypy is concerned, after some thought, I tend to agree with bhvm (whats your name ?). I just feel that a new car is much more reliable and also it makes sense for someone like me because I need to get comfortable driving it before attempting any sort of competitive motoring.

I plan to drive it for around 7-8k kilometers before thinking about rallying/etc.

Secondly, even if I start rallying after 3 years of buying the car, I can maintain it nicely and make sure it is reliable enough, even if it is 3-5 years old.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Assuming you already regularly Drive SUVs, other cars, the Gypsy will be quite easy to drive other than the creature comforts. So there is generally nil chance that you'll damage a new vehicle. Waiting a few years/ Kms before entering rally is wise as competition will be a its peak.

Generally the Car becomes your natural extension of hands/legs & The wavelength of you and the car should be that closely matched.

Top Bottom