From 2 Wheels To 4

Thread Starter #1
Hello, Namastey, assalam ‘alaykum, sat srī akāl, nomoskaar to all my TAI friends. Well as the title suggests, i have been an avid biker all these years and have done long trips (longest being Kolkata-Siliguri-Gantok-Kathmandu-Patna-Gaya-Kolkata) all on 2 wheeler till date.

After getting married recently and due to mom now staying with me here in Bangalore the priority of a small family car was becoming evident. Due to budget constraint of 2Lakhs max and the first car for the family decided to go for a used one, checked everywhere but could not find a decent car within the budget.

Next came a shocker for me as my mom wanted our very own home grown Mini (Tata Nano) as the first car. After a conversation with mom as to why Nano, it comes out as she was thinking practically rather than me: 1 being the first car in family, 2 being maintenance cost 3 being i'm a new driver and 4 being i can always upgrade in the future; can't argue in any of these as all 4 pints are valid (experience matters :P). Hence started the search for a decently used Nano, meanwhile searched the entire internet for its pro's & con's and various readings of all the ownership reviews available. (you can learn a lot about a car and its character by reading the ownership review, thank you all for the in-depth reviews [clap] ).

With all the things in mind decided to go for 2014 model + only, as improvements have been made in various aspect, however i don't know what the dealer smoke but i checked out a mildly used 2014-15 model(8796 Km to be exact) one and the asking price was 2.15L, min 1.85L, still bargained and asked them to check with the owner and revert by saturday 15th. Meanwhile got another offer for a 2015-16 Nano, the one with the boot for again 2.15L; this i'll check on saturday 15th April and have to take a call then as the owner is going out of country; now this car interests me as the owner bought it in between 1st to 2nd quarter of last year and is not used much.

Now 15th April is a special day for us Bengali's as it marks a new year for us, now a tough call to take in a new year's day [roll]

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Buddy I suggest that Nano is a compromise in Many ways. If this is going to be your only car, then better get a FULL SIZE hatchback like i10, Alto, Celerio or If you can raise budget- Swift etc.

Nano suits people who have many cars parked up and want a small citybike on 4 wheels.

i AM also using Nano from jan 2016, its a 2012 cx variant(middle variant that have AC only) & its a nice car with some pros & cons. i have purchase 4200km driven car @ 94k & few also checked a blue 2015 twist xt last month one of my friend & asking price was 90K with 18k in odo. so i think you are not in touch with direct sellers & middle persons making lot of money.

Have you visited TATA showroom ? i am sure you can get top XT varient under 2.5 L with very little bargains as sale of NANO is already on all time low of 174 units in march & they have lot of 2016 make cars parked at dealers.

& best is if you can avoid nano & buy some other car as it have quality issue & parts give up earlier before expected [cry]. try Alto, EON, wagon R .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
i'll check the showroom tomorrow in domlur as it is near my place, i know i can get a better car if i up the budget, let's see i'm tight in budget.

Confirmed with the seller, the car i'm seeing tomorrow is 2016 make and he's no dealer but the owner, car ran for just 2500 Kms.

i'll check the showroom tomorrow in domlur as it is near my place, i know i can get a better car if i up the budget, let's see i'm tight in budget.

Confirmed with the seller, the car i'm seeing tomorrow is 2016 make and he's no dealer but the owner, car ran for just 2500 Kms.
if you found car ok then you can go to TATA moters service center. they charge 650 for complete car check up with service history. i also did similar when purchase nano.
also i will suggest you to not tell any amount for car earlier just ask him for a fair deal price & tell him to take time & i am sure you will get a call back with reasonable price.

Thread Starter #7
well went to check out the car, but it seems the owner changed his mind and is not selling it anymore, was coming back home a bit disappointed when i met my uncle's cousin, ironically he too was trying to sell his nano (going abroad permanently), had a chat with him, checked the paper's, service history, test drove the car, everything perfect. got a sweet deal for 1.75L everything inclusive; he even gave me the led headlights, reverse night vision camera with monitor, led dome light, car charger etc.. (which his son he got it from ali express), even made the deal sweeter with 4 new bridgestone b290 tyres [clap] its av2014 model with 8219 in the ODO but with all the freebies, i guess i got a good deal, tsking delivery next saturday.

BTW i did check in the showroom on-road price for XT in Bangalore is 3.55L after all discounts, didn't made sense due to my tight budget.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Sweet deal. Congrats on your citybike with 4 tiny wheels!
Drive slow & carefully. Nano is not known for any significant safety.

I have used Nano for 4 years and its a nice car to drive around city. Those who are new to 4 wheelers will love it. Its very spacious, comfortable and glides easily over any size bumps. Engine is good for 4 persons of average weight but anything more, the engine starts to struggle and makes harsh noise.

Anyway, drive around 40-60km/h and please don't take the car to highway. It becomes paper plane next to large vehicles like SUVs, Buses and Trucks. [:D]

Also If you cross 100km/h, the engine cuts off. Not sure this happens in newer models but my 2009 model did.

Congrats and enjoy it. [cheers]

well went to check out the car, but it seems the owner changed his mind and is not selling it anymore, was coming back home a bit disappointed when i met my uncle's cousin, ironically he too was trying to sell his nano (going abroad permanently), had a chat with him, checked the paper's, service history, test drove the car, everything perfect. got a sweet deal for 1.75L everything inclusive; he even gave me the led headlights, reverse night vision camera with monitor, led dome light, car charger etc.. (which his son he got it from ali express), even made the deal sweeter with 4 new bridgestone b290 tyres [clap] its av2014 model with 8219 in the ODO but with all the freebies, i guess i got a good deal, tsking delivery next saturday.

BTW i did check in the showroom on-road price for XT in Bangalore is 3.55L after all discounts, didn't made sense due to my tight budget.
Congratulations for nano. Drive within a limit of 60kmph and you will enjoy it. Breaks are not that good but it gets some time to be habitual. FE figures are extremely good if you drive with a light foot. Enjoy the car

Thread Starter #11
thanks a lot everyone, yes my family is small with just 3 person, so it won't be an issue for the tiny bee and being a newbie in driving will keep an eye for keeping the feet feather light [:D]. Tiny bee will be mainly for city use when we all go out and 2 weeks to and fro office, rest of the time my old buddy (pulsie) will accompany me.

Will start an ownership thread once i bring her home [clap]

Hello Sourav,
I believe you have made (or rather your mom![:)]) a very wise decision. Firstly, to go for a pre-owned car as your first one (it'll provide good hands on experience in car ownership without burning a hole in the pocket) and secondly, to have found one within the family circle & at a great price!

But speaking personally, the Nano is a terrific design. I speak as an engineer & I only wish Tata had developed the car a bit more (ironing out the niggles) before launching it. But that said, the Nano is the perfect city runabout. If our needs allowed (we have two large-ish dogs who believe the car belongs to them & are fairly regular travellers) we would have gone for one like a shot.
There are several happy & satisfied Nano owners ('Nanofreak', 'DrRishabh' and 'Sachinr7' to name a few) on this forum and they should be able help with initial ownership issues.

Happy motoring!

Last edited:

Congrats @KOW on the Nano, will look forward to your ownership review with lots of pics. I would like to know more about LED HEADLIGHTS, that your uncle gave you.
My story here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-mountain-goat-dazzle-blue-tata-nano-xta.html
Hello Sourav,
I believe you have made (or rather your mom![:)]) a very wise decision. Firstly, to go for a pre-owned car as your first one (it'll provide good hands on experience in car ownership without burning a hole in the pocket) and secondly, to have found one within the family circle & at a great price!

But speaking personally, the Nano is a terrific design. I speak as an engineer & I only wish Tata had developed the car a bit more (ironing out the niggles) before launching it. But that said, the Nano is the perfect city runabout. If our needs allowed (we have two large-ish dogs who believe the car belongs to them & are fairly regular travellers) we would have gone for one like a shot.
There are several happy & satisfied Nano owners ('Nanofreak', 'DrRishabh' and 'Sachinr7' to name a few) on this forum and they should be able help with initial ownership issues.

Happy motoring!
Thanks for remembering me and my NMG.

Regards

Vinod

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Hello Sourav,
I believe you have made (or rather your mom!) a very wise decision.
exactly why i said experience matters [roll]

Congrats @KOW on the Nano, will look forward to your ownership review with lots of pics. I would like to know more about LED HEADLIGHTS, that your uncle gave you.
My story here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-mountain-goat-dazzle-blue-tata-nano-xta.html

Thanks for remembering me and my NMG.

Regards

Vinod
1 more day to go [frustration] time is not moving it seems or i'm too excited or both [confused]

The LED lights i got are https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Par...lgo_pvid=879e5710-2feb-4a39-bd88-1777919446b8 it seems and all reviews are positive as well, but personally i did use one such in my bike and to be honest the far beam was weak compared to near beam; and is the same for most brands i've seen so let's see i'll try them on my bike and if satisfied will check in car, on the other hand i am interested in these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OSR...ration-The-Brightest-Halogen/32773192965.html

Top Bottom