After a research of few weeks, Here is a Runabout of the vehicles in Option-
Not selected as reasons mentioned above 2. GV 4x4-
+ Highway Driveablity.
+ All time 4x4
+ Disc Brakes
- Not a proper 4x4. Just an Softroarder AWD. The capablities are not much better than XUV AWD. Infact due to poor torque, GV gets stuck where XUV AWD can often manage
- Bad FE
- Spares and relaiblity issues (Assuming vehicles will be quite old) 3. Gurkha 4x4-
+ Bullet proof, Simple
+ Only true competition to Thar
- Impossible to find used in decent condition
- Poor service network
- Curde, just like Thar
- 5 Door, LWB Version misses out on 4wd LOW range (Confusing specs)
- Poor brand image and resale
- Dad owns Older 2wd version (2.6L, non Turbo, non CRDI). Dont like it. 4. Facelifted scorpio-
+ Highway Manners and NVH
+ Great service network
+ Decent creature comforts
+ Decent FE and engine power
- Bouncy suspension, Limited articulation which means Limited 4x4 capability
- Mahindra Niggles
- Shoots Budget a Bit (S6 or S8)
- Less Interior space
- lacks LSD compared to Safari 5. Older scorpio-
Not considered due to niggles & reliablity 6. Old fortuner MT- (2010)
+ Capable 4x4 machine
+ Proven reliablity
+ Resale Value
- Have one. Cannot use due to Family Restrictions. Not Buying again
- Costs a Bomb for Maintainance. Hell breaks loose if Something breaks or cracks. Not confidence inspiring for Risky maneuvers or learning
- Lacks LSD or Diff locks 7. Newer Gen (2015+) Fortuner 4x4- Not fitting in budget 8. Safari TCIC 1.9L
- Not considered. 9. Safari 3.0L Dicor
+ Available cheaply
+ Had one in past. Loved it
- Finding decent & Well Maintained specimens is very difficult
- Very heavy vehicle
- Niggles may crop up in such older vehicles
10. Safari 2.2L Dicor
+ One of my Fav Vehicles. Esp pearl white
+ Available at decent Prices with Maintenance records
+ Proper 4x4 with low range. Rear Diff is LSD.
+ Powerful engine with decent FE
+ Proven Highway Cruiser. Comfort is better than Fortuner or XUV!
+ Decent space.
+ Tail Mounted Spare wheel- Not only looks macho but is easy to remove if Vehicle is Bogged/failed on Soft surface like Sand. Under-mounted spares are almost impossible to remove.
+ Mod friendly
- Heavy Vehicle, May get bogged down in Loose surfaces
- Lengthy & Bulky design. Poor Approach, Departure and Ramp Break-over angles. Need to be solved with a Lift Kit
- Some tata Niggles may crop up. But Dicor 2.2 is a mature version with Less niggles than 1.9L or 3.0L and has less electronics
compared to Storme 400.
- Misses out on Projector lamps of storme. 11. Safari Stome 400
+ Improved NVH, handling & Driving manners compared to earlier
+ Looks Good too
+ Small Improvements like Projector lamps
+ Carries most +ves of Dicor 2.2
- Spare wheel is underside
- May Not fit in budget. Well Maintained Machines are roughly 8L in VX 4x4
- Glossy and Chromed surfaces may gather more scratches. (I liked Grey Cladding in Older safaris)
- Heavy as usual
- Increased electronics could cause niggles
- Dated interiors and less features compared to Competition like XUV 500. 12. Pajero 2.8L 118HP (2nd gen)
+ Praised by mr Vipul & KKn
+ Proven off roader. Off roading capablity is actually better than Fortuner. (Chikmanglur paj vs fortuner video)
+ Brand value
- Finding Accident free and Clean specimens is a task
- Most used vehicles are quite old.
With the Government often inclined to Ban, Spank and Trouble Older diesels, Very old vehicle does not have much life left
- Newer Specimens do not fit in budget.
- Niggles and thin service network. Definitely a No-go for us Villagers. Need to travel almost 170KM+170KM for service. Breakdowns will be hell.
Anything missing Friends?