Which SUV: BMW X1 vs Audi Q3 vs Mercedes-Benz GLA

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Which SUV ?

X1 for overall
Q3 for higher seating and better suspension,reverse camera etc
Frankly Tucson is a more compelling package imho unless you care for badge value and AWD,sunroof etc

Thread Starter #4
X1 for overall
Q3 for higher seating and better suspension,reverse camera etc
Frankly Tucson is a more compelling package imho unless you care for badge value and AWD,sunroof etc
Thanks for the early reply.
Audi and Merc says that they are coming with new version with upgraded features .
I don't have any idea about Tucson . I will see.

BMW X1 is the best of the bunch you listed.
Thanks for the early reply.
Please elaborate . It will help me a lot.

@Niladri most of the people recommending you cars here have never owned or even driven Audi/BMW/Merc imported cars. Instead of getting random suggestions and general knowledge gained by others I suggest you go through the reviews, ask people personally who have owned these cars and listen only to people who drive one. Sorry to mention here but teambhp have more real German car owners and you would get a better insight if you want knowledge through forums.

Last edited:
@drniladrisaha,

In order to suggest you one, we need further information with the template :
> Your Budget: (Eg: Rs.7 – 8 Lakh)
> New or Used: (Eg: New Car)
> Your Location: (Eg: New Delhi, India)
> Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space)
> Monthly Running: (Eg: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms)
> Type of Fuel: (Eg: Diesel)
> For What Purpose: (Eg: Regular Use, Off-Roading)
> AWD or FWD ?
> Compulsory Equipment : (Eg: MID,DIS,sunroof etc)

And yes I agree with @AbhisekVerma regarding asking current owners of these car.
P.S: A lot of things are dependent on type of variant you want.

kkn13

Suspended
I own an ML250 and am looking in the same segment as OP in case people were doubting
Be prepared for maintenance costs unless you opt for BMW X1 + BSI
BSI covers most stuff
X1 is fun to drive etc
But seriously compared to cars like Endeavour ,Santa Fe and Tucson for the same price range(30-45L) , the entry level Germans seriously lack features such as reverse camera etc and cannot even be fitted as warranty would be void
So do take that into mind
None of the cars OP listed have proper rear legroom
Also none of them come with proper spare tyre too, they all come with space saver tyres and GLA doesnt even get a proper wheel well ie space saver spare tyre eats into boot space
http://indianautosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Mercedes-GLA-spare-tire-on-the-review.jpg
These are just the tip of the ice berg

You might also score a 2013 5 series with BSI for like 25L if you want something fun to drive and with all features

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Cant decide between BMW X1 , Audi Q3 and Mercedes GLA class .
Please give your opinion .
I wouldn't suggest present GLA as the new GLA is expected to launch in next 2 months here. Between Q3 and X1, firstly, both BMW and Audi engines are good in performance but with all it's bells and whistles and features, X1 is definitely a good choice. The new X1 is definitely a spacious looking car too. You can check our thread on the new X1 here: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...bmw-x1-f48-now-launched-india.html#post502116

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
Why so less space

I have Skoda Rapid for around 5 yrs .
Planning to change my car .
Shortlisted BMW X1 , Merc GLS and Audi Q3 .
My question is that they are much bigger in length and width but all of them have much less boot space and rear legroom and even less shoulder space than Skoda Rapid .
What is the reason behind it ?

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Why so less space

I have Skoda Rapid for around 5 yrs .
Planning to change my car .
Shortlisted BMW X1 , Merc GLS and Audi Q3 .
My question is that they are much bigger in length and width but all of them have much less boot space and rear legroom and even less shoulder space than Skoda Rapid .
What is the reason behind it ?
These so called "Premium" brands dont have proper legroom at the rear, no proper spare tyre solution,lack basic features like reverse camera and front parking sensors etc . Audi doesnt offer proper USB etc and charges alot for adapters

But they offer excellent driving experience which very few cars actually offer
Also they have badge value and often share platforms with lower variant cars of the same brand/group
For eg Audi A3 and Vento share a platform, Q3,Yeti,Tiguan share a platform

So best way to determine is a proper test drive and check out even the smaller details

Im also shopping in the same segment as you
I found Tucson and Endeavour very compelling buys in terms of features etc even if driving pleasure is slightly lesser compared to the 3 Germans
If you want Jeep Compass and VW Tiguan are also coming in May 2017
VW Tiguan seems to be more spacious than Q3 even though they share a platform and VAG seems to have addressed alot of the Q3 and Yeti's cons in the upcoming Tiguan. They even share the same engines etc

Overall the X1 is the best driving experience car but it lacks rear legroom, reverse camera (cant fit even from after market because itll void warranty), front parking sensors (essential for cars with longer bonnets). Otherwise its the most stress free car of the 3 thanks to BSI.
BSI covers nearly everything required for maintenance and you basically pay a lumpsome payment for 3 or 5 years and varied km- 30,000km , 60,000km or 1L km.

Audi has better suspension and driving position but steering is too light for most people and Audi after sales is mixed, but VAG cars as you know , have lots of aftermarket support

@drniladrisaha
Why don't you wait for the VW tiguan or Skoda Kodiaq to get launched.? Maybe the car you are waiting for is not yet even launched.

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended
@drniladrisaha
Why don't you wait for the VW Vigyan or Skoda Kodiaq to get launched.? Maybe the car you are waiting for is not yet even launched.
Totally forgot to add Skoda Kodiaq !!
Another car totally worth waiting for
Plus its based off the Superb platform so legroom etc should be generous

Engine is the only concern- 2.0 TDI for such a large car
But only a TD can confirm these concerns , Id still wait for it
Skoda puts awesome features and luxury

VW Vigyan :D
I hope you mean VW Tiguan
Err, I typed that one with my phone and I guess auto spell screwed it (And I use that term 'Vigyan' a lot). Yups, I was in a hurry and typed this one while picking up car key and leaving for some work. [roll]

Engine is the only concern- 2.0 TDI for such a large car
There are two terms
1) Large
2) Heavy

A balloon (Baleno?) can also be large but light. Additionally if 2.0 liter blocks can pull the likes of Q5 and X3, why can't a Kodiaq?

Rest I will agree with kkn13 over the brand bias point. If there is no bias towards the new car being only from some premium German brand, then there are many better options too available around. In compact SUVs, one can look at Tucson (Hyundai NVH is unmatched), upcoming Tiguan and Kodiaq etc. Or one can even go with brilliant full size 4x4 SUVs like Endeavour 3.2 or Fortuner 4x4 AT.

Last edited:

Top Bottom