Toyota Etios Liva V vs Maruti Suzuki Swift VXi (O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
My Celerio is running very well , but looking to buy a new car ~ 6 L by exchanging my 2002 Maruti 800 which becomes 15 this May. So hurrying a bit.

Now , I have considered Swift VXI (o) , Ignis 1.2 Delta and Liva V Petrol.

Visited Nexa Park Street for Ignis 1.2 Delta - 6.04L OTR , exchange value of old car - 25K .Didnt like the rear looks, ugly a/c controls in dash and rear seating space.
So rejected.

Swift VXI(o) - MS Auto Hitech - known quantity as I have used Swift before. Price coming to 6.41 L OTR after 15k consumer discount, exchange value 50K for old car. Only concern poor boot space , poor choice of colours. Final OTR - 5.91 L

Liva V 1.2 - First Choice. Visited Topsel Toyota at Ruby More. Ticks all the right boxes , specially with regards to safety and driving experience. Slightly poor interiors but I can live with that. OTR - 6.64 L . Exchange Value for old car ~ 35 k including 15k exchange bonus. Plus 15k discount. = Final OTR around 6.2 L.

Problem is Toyota is charging hefty amount for insurance - 28k (18k for swift) and Rs 6300 as handling charges which I dont want to pay at any cost.

Screenshot_20170321-230516~01.png

Screenshot_20170321-230553~01.png

Please suggest what I should do.

Another WEIRD thing. There was a new Red Liva V on stock which I went to check out. I observed that Trip meter A shows -4.8 km , Trip B shows - 4.8 km where as Odo shows - 4 km. When I enquired of the Sales executive, he fumbled and said something about he will check it up or some such thing.[thinking]

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Liva V Vs Swift VXI (o)

Why not Baleno? Its a newer platform and is alot like the Swift but with a few more features etc
Liva frankly is a rougher car in terms of engine than the Swift and Baleno from what Ive noticed (not the older engine, that was smoother apparently) .Purely personal preference and observation of course
Interiors are a clear let down for the Etios though
After sales, parts, resale etc wont be an issue whatsoever for Toyota as well as Maruti

Frankly Swift Diesel 1.3 is a more fun to drive car and gives great fuel economy , maintenance etc
Ive owned Swift petrol (not K series, the older 1.3 petrol), Ritz diesel.
K series 1.2 petrol isnt a bad engine but 1.3 MJD has oodles of torque to put a smile on your face when you cross 1700rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear, Id suggest going for that

PS- A new Swift is also incoming , so I suggest waiting for that or using it to get discounts on current Swift. Parts and resale etc wont be an issue imho
I had 2005 Swift for nearly 9-10 years before selling it and I still got parts,resale etc

Etios might also get a revamp soon btw

I would suggest to choose LIVA Vx LE variant, just the price difference of 50K you can get all features that makes your car looks cool.

Most of the people do not prefer LIVA for its little old style design on back and dash. But the best part of live is the cabin space that it offers. So to overcome the old school design style they have a dual tone variant which really have appealing style. So if you are interested in LIVA then do not ignore the VX LE variant. And bet me you will not regret anytime buying that. The red color really stands in crowd.

Apart from that LIVA has some good features too,

- auto folding ORVM with black tone [gives a sporty look]
- dual tone cabin and dash
- roomy cabin
- cooled glove box
- steering controls [really a practical feature]
- rear parking sensor
- dual tone alloys

If you opt for SWIFT then DIESEL makes more sense.

Thread Starter #6
Well my budget is only ~ 6 lakhs. That rules out Baleno , Swift Diesel and Liva VX.

Grand i 10 I have thought about , but we do already have a Petrol sportz in the extended family , so cant buy the same car.[;)]

Cannot wait till the new Swift as I have to dispose off my M 800 before the end of May as it will complete 15 yrs by then.

The features I most like about Liva are the drivers seat height adjustment , rear defogger and wiper , side impact beams on doors and seating comfort. What I am not comfortable about is the fuel economy.SE said it will give max 12.5~13 kmpl in city. Also the hefty insurance (compared to MS) and I really do not want to pay the handling charges. Also only 2 service points in Kolkata.

The thing I most hate about the swift is the boot space. Although it will have more resale value I guess.And I wont have to splash out more for fog lamps.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
This is a tough call and only your personal preference will help here imho
Both are proven work horses and have no apparent issues now and in future
Just buy what suits you best
See pros and cons of both

I dont see any compelling reason to choose one over the other and feel youll be happy with either car :)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
If you have time to think, Consider a Tiago Variant that fits your bill. Also, as I saw the Tigor today, in flesh even that car looks beautiful specially the rear profile. As I have been told, price difference expected between Tiago & Tigor to be around 60-70K, so if XM Petrol variant Tiago costs in Kolkata at 4.35 Lacs Ex Showroom so adding 60K more means roughly 5 Lac Ex-Showroom for Tigor and adding taxes you can have a Tigor in about 5.80-to-6.0 Lacs. Suggest you to wait until prices of Tigor are announced buddy.

Regards

Akash

Why not Baleno? Its a newer platform and is alot like the Swift but with a few more features etc
Liva frankly is a rougher car in terms of engine than the Swift and Baleno from what Ive noticed (not the older engine, that was smoother apparently) .Purely personal preference and observation of course
Interiors are a clear let down for the Etios though
After sales, parts, resale etc wont be an issue whatsoever for Toyota as well as Maruti
C
Frankly Swift Diesel 1.3 is a more fun to drive car and gives great fuel economy , maintenance etc
Ive owned Swift petrol (not K series, the older 1.3 petrol), Ritz diesel.
K series 1.2 petrol isnt a bad engine but 1.3 MJD has oodles of torque to put a smile on your face when you cross 1700rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear, Id suggest going for that

PS- A new Swift is also incoming , so I suggest waiting for that or using it to get discounts on current Swift. Parts and resale etc wont be an issue imho
I had 2005 Swift for nearly 9-10 years before selling it and I still got parts,resale etc

Etios might also get a revamp soon btw
Compared to the other vehicles u mentioned toyota routine service charges are less, unless you have any accident repairs involving body parts but you wont like petrol version liva after u test drive liva diesel (better smoother power delivery good milage) though in bhp terms liva petrol is good i didnot like it. I own a diesel liva.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

If budget is a constraint and you don't want to go beyond ~7 lakhs then grand i10 will be a better buy than liva in all aspects.
Would like you to please explain in detail. Grand i10 has better interior plus features that's it.
Liva kills the grand i10 in every aspect.
1.Liva has more space.
2.Liva has abs and airbags standard all across the variants.
3.Liva scored 4 stars with stable structure while the grand i10 scored zero with instable structure.
4.Liva has much better brakes. The brake bite of grand i10 is really weird.
5. Liva has the best ac possibly after the figo. Grand i10 ac trips under hard acceleration.
6. Engine repsonse and suspesnion setup is much better than the grand i10.
7. Maintenance is another point which favors the liva.
8. Don't remember for sure but clutch and gear shifts were smooth in the liva. So can't say which car was smoother in this area.

So would like to know in what other aspects grand i10 is good.

Last edited:
If you have time to think, Consider a Tiago Variant that fits your bill. Also, as I saw the Tigor today, in flesh even that car looks beautiful specially the rear profile. As I have been told, price difference expected between Tiago & Tigor to be around 60-70K, so if XM Petrol variant Tiago costs in Kolkata at 4.35 Lacs Ex Showroom so adding 60K more means roughly 5 Lac Ex-Showroom for Tigor and adding taxes you can have a Tigor in about 5.80-to-6.0 Lacs. Suggest you to wait until prices of Tigor are announced buddy.

Regards

Akash
Tigor is a good vehicle and the variant for you will be XZ[Petrol].

kkn13

Suspended

Compared to the other vehicles u mentioned toyota routine service charges are less, unless you have any accident repairs involving body parts but you wont like petrol version liva after u test drive liva diesel (better smoother power delivery good milage) though in bhp terms liva petrol is good i didnot like it. I own a diesel liva.
Agreed but I was talking about 1.3 MJD vs 1.4 D4D
The 1.3 MJD is the smoother of the two
Personally I prefer diesel cars to petrols myself

Would like you to please explain in detail. Grand i10 has better interior plus features that's it.
Liva kills the grand i10 in every aspect.
1.Liva has more space.
2.Liva has abs and airbags standard all across the variants.
3.Liva scored 4 stars with stable structure while the grand i10 scored zero with instable structure.
4.Liva has much better brakes. The brake bite of grand i10 is really weird.
5. Liva has the best ac possibly after the figo. Grand i10 ac trips under hard acceleration.
6. Engine repsonse and suspesnion setup is much better than the grand i10.
7. Maintenance is another point which favors the liva.
8. Don't remember for sure but clutch and gear shifts were smooth in the liva. So can't say which car was smoother in this area.

So would like to know in what other aspects grand i10 is good.
Totally agreed with you bro. Liva has one of the most stable structures among the hatchbacks in India. Interiors are a big let down though. Grand i10 though has nice interiors and features but is disappointing in terms of structural integrity.

And 100% agreed on the brakes front. I used dzire before Grand i10 and Grand i10 has the most disappointing brakes I ever used on a car. It has 0 initial bite which feels spongy to a big extent and suddenly all of the power comes. My wife always used to ask why I drove Dzire so well (brakes really good here) and its jerky when it came to Grand i10 when I brake. I was so embarrased [embarass] and just suggested please don't sit with me without seatbelts in this car [:D]

kkn13

Suspended
Yeah its very strange , i10,Grand i10, i20 , Elite i20 have nearly same engine etc but in Grand i10, the 1.2 is sluggish and brakes are very jerky whereas its fine in the others. Diesel lacks punch and is noisy (older diesel, dunno about the new one which just came out)

Etios is a far better car ,interiors aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom