Looking For a Car For My Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Need a car for my dad who is currently driving our santro which has completed 160k kms. No break down but because of cng running the engine power has substantially came down. Won't be selling the car for now.

Your Budget: <6,50,000 lakhs

> New or Used: (New Car

> Your Location: New Delhi, India

> Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space

> Monthly Running: 1000 kms.

> Type of Fuel: petrol.

> For What Purpose: Regular Use

> Seating Capacity: only my parents will travel.

> Type of Segment: anything below c segment.

Contenders.

1. Maruti suzuki baleno - delta variant comes with decent features and don't think dad would prefer extra features than this variant.
Priced around 6,50,000 in delhi with a few months waiting.
Mom doesn't like the car because of the light build. Yes even my mother noticed this without me anything saying. Plus the rear suspesnion problem which my gf told me about when she took a td with her brother. Nearest nexa didn't have a td of baleno and I never drove one before.

2. Hyundai elite i20.
Mom loves the car and the interior and was really happy when she sat in her friends car.
But the sports variant is the one I was looking for since it has abs but it is costing around 730k after discounts. Magna which now doesn't even have the Keyless entry is costing 660k after discounts.

3. Ford Figo Aspire.
After the recent price cut this have become the most vfm of the lot.
Titanium with all the bells and whistles ( just not the 6 airbags) is costing 630k after discounts. Even though I own the figo hatch I don't mind buying this just because of its price. Whenever I look at the price I just can't think of any other car. Dad likes the figo so he's ok with the aspire.

4. Tata tiago
Superb car for its price. Recommened the same to my gf and the car will be delivered this week for her.
This was first in my list but dad said car's size seems small. This is the only issue so don't think this will be selected.

Cars not considered.
1. Grand i10
Not at all safe plus the top end asta costs 680k after discounts. Aspire titanium -630k.

2. Etios liva - dad doesn't mind the interiors. Drives a lot better than grand i10. V variant costs 640k similar to aspire.
Issue : just the price. Not toyota's fault but aspire looks vfm.

3. No vw - (long clutch travel plus expensive spares), Brio ( size plus looks) , no other maruti tin cans, no fiat (long clutch travel although spares cost are much lower than vw)

I am all in for the aspire but would like to hear your views.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Looking for a Car for my Dad.

Need a car for my dad who is currently driving our santro which has completed 160k kms. No break down but because of cng running the engine power has substantially came down. Won't be selling the car for now.

> Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space

Contenders.

1. Maruti suzuki baleno - delta variant comes with decent features and don't think dad would prefer extra features than this variant.
Mom doesn't like the car because of the light build. Yes even my mother noticed this without me anything saying. Plus the rear suspesnion problem which my gf told me about when she took a td with her brother. Nearest nexa didn't have a td of baleno and I never drove one before.

2. Hyundai elite i20.
Mom loves the car and the interior and was really happy when she sat in her friends car.
But the sports variant is the one I was looking for since it has abs but it is costing around 730k after discounts. Magna which now doesn't even have the Keyless entry is costing 660k after discounts.

3. Ford Figo Aspire.
Titanium with all the bells and whistles ( just not the 6 airbags) is costing 630k after discounts. Even though I own the figo hatch I don't mind buying this just because of its price. Whenever I look at the price I just can't think of any other car. Dad likes the figo so he's ok with the aspire.

4. Tata tiago
Superb car for its price. Recommened the same to my gf and the car will be delivered this week for her.
This was first in my list but dad said car's size seems small. This is the only issue so don't think this will be selected.

If not Tiago then Aspire is indeed the best option. Shikhar in case of Tiago Vs Figo it is always Dil Vs Dimaag[:D] (Heart Vs Mind). Aspire in Black shall look good too. Let me tell you, after becoming an informed car enthusiast, the biggest and toughest decision is to buy the right car at right price. Even I am in the same line as I will be selling off the Esteem in next 2 weeks or so.

PS: Give me a call, want to speak to you!

Regards

Akash

Would suggest Zest or wait for Tigor.
Zest also comes with 4 star NCAP rating as against 3 star of Aspire. But looks are subjective.

From your list, I would suggest Aspire.

kkn13

Suspended

Contenders.

2. Hyundai elite i20.

3. Ford Figo Aspire.

4. Tata tiago

Cars not considered.
1. Grand i10
Not at all safe plus the top end asta costs 680k after discounts. Aspire titanium -630k.

2. Etios liva - dad doesn't mind the interiors. Drives a lot better than grand i10. V variant costs 640k similar to aspire.

3. No vw - (long clutch travel plus expensive spares), Brio ( size plus looks) , no other maruti tin cans, no fiat (long clutch travel although spares cost are much lower than vw)

i20, Baleno and Figo are a whole variant above and totally worth the jump imho
Between the 3 in petrol , Id say i20 is the most comfy of the 3 given the lighter steering for city traffic and light clutch too, Baleno is next in line with the same advantages but loses out in interiors department and stiff suspension , Figo is good but diesel is more fun to drive than the petrol variant from what I saw(personal preference applies, you know best since you already have a Figo hence a different car would probably add variety to your garage)

Hence i20 Elite is my recommendation
AT variant would probably suit your father better imho

Contenders.

2. Hyundai elite i20.

3. Ford Figo Aspire.

4. Tata tiago

Cars not considered.
1. Grand i10

Whaaatt!!! 6.3L for aspire titanium. It's simply irresistible. But you should wait for upcoming tigor as well. i20 @1L rupees more than aspire is not worth it IMHO.

Thread Starter #6

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ Akash - no to black color. Maintaining it will be a hard choice. My color preference is dark grey for the new car.

@ gautam - the only reason I am going for the compact sedan is because of the price. Zest xms is around 60k expensive.

@ kkn13- i20 is sure a good choice but like I said sports variant is costly by 100k. And I agree the price is good for the car but its out of budget and I don't see why I need to spend 100k extra.
No point in buying bare bones Magna variant.

@ rishabh- well yes I get the same feeling when I see 630k for Aspire titanium. And yes will be constantly checking the updates at the media drive of the tigor. Dont want to wait till March end :stupid:

kkn13

Suspended
Then Aspire would be my pick if I were in your shoes unless you can extend budget a bit
Titanium trim has pretty much everything, for that price, I dont think any other car will match its value for money

Contenders.

2. Hyundai elite i20.

3. Ford Figo Aspire.

4. Tata tiago

Cars not considered.
1. Grand i10

Hi, its a nice thought to be shopping for a car for your parents, as senior citizens I would like to put in my perspective, let your dad TD a few AMT equipped cars, you could start from the bottom of the pyramid with the Nano and go up-to Tiago AMT, (Tiago AMT will be available by this month end for TD in some cities).

I bought myself a Nano AMT 5 months back, and have not regretted my decision, my story follows:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-mountain-goat-dazzle-blue-tata-nano-xta.html

Regards

Vinod

kkn13

Suspended
Nano freak - like i mentioned above size is the issue. He doesnt want a small car.
Anyways plan has changed. Dad will drive the verna and i have booked elantra sx petrol manual. Delivery in april first week if all the processes are smooth.
Congrats I drove the petrol AT in December and its a beast
Even my self proclaimed German car fanboy friend was impressed with it :D
Its a proper contender to its German rivals
Steering is a bit light for my taste but I loved it otherwise
Engine is as smooth and free revving as my 1.5 IVTEC in my ANHC

Thread Starter #12

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Thanks kkn and krishna.
It was a really hard choice for me. I wanted a 5 seater petrol car and it shouldn't be a hatchback or a C segment car and under 15 lakhs.

I would have bought the new car in november and i did book a car (not the elantra though)
* i liked the s cross but it was a diesel and dad said the interior space resembles the verna and there won't be much difference between the verna and the scross plus he didn't like the looks. But i love this car andProbably the only maruti i would buy.
*Dad didnt like duster and i too hated that there are no features for the petrol variant plus it's outdated.
*Honda Brv was a 7 seater plus i don't see why i should pay 15 lakhs for the car.
*Elantra base model was 15 lakhs otr with a manual ac and no reverse parking sensors [frustration] and dad didn't want to spend more.
*I don't like corolla's interior plus the variant price difference doesn't justify the features difference. As i mentioned in another thread 200kms old corolla's interior seemed really aged.

Dad and my sister liked the creta :/ i was reluctant to buy well because of this http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-sector/22603-why-not-buy-hyundai-creta.html
I still feel first time buyer or a person switching from a hatch shouldn't upgrade to the creta.
I don't see the utility but my dad and sister wanted something different and not the elantra because they felt it's just a bigger verna. Booked the creta petrol sx+ with interior revamp because i just hate the creta's interior.
Made this thread " on behalf of a friend :p http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ications/27589-revamp-your-car-interiors.html got all the quotes and everything but cancelled it.
This time told my dad won't be buying the creta because i really hate it and booked the elantra. Happy that dad didn't refuse for the elantra.

Last edited:
Would really be happy to suggest you the new Tigor. Have seen the car in person and driven it. It's pretty well sorted and very comfy yet compact and desirable styleback. Especially the ride handling and space are very good. It is expected to be priced only 70K above Tiago. Do have a look at it.

Thread Starter #14

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Would really be happy to suggest you the new Tigor. Have seen the car in person and driven it. It's pretty well sorted and very comfy yet compact and desirable styleback. Especially the ride handling and space are very good. It is expected to be priced only 70K above Tiago. Do have a look at it.
read my reply above. will be buying a car for myself. tiago is 5.45 otr here in delhi , tigor will be 620k. still would have bought the aspire for 630k.

Thread Starter #15

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Did the pdi today. Going out of delhi for a few days , will take delivery after coming back.

Ps: the empty space on the steering is an eye sore[cry]

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom