Need a New Commuter Car For College

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys! Im a med student and i need a car for college and gym.

> Your Budget: Rs.6 – 8 Lakh

> New or Used: New car. Used cars, I've found, aren't that much cheaper in my city. 5 yo swift? 4.5L. Might as well pay 2 more lakhs and get a new car.

> Your Location:maharashtra

> Top Five Priorities:Safety, Interior quality, Performance, Handling, Impressive exterior.

> Monthly Running: less than 1000

> Type of Fuel: no preference

> For What Purpose: 80% city. 20% highway

> Type of Segment: hatchback

> Passengers : 90% of the time I'll be the only person in the car. So rear seat comfort or luggage space aren't important.

Options i've been considering are swift, grande i10 and brio.

Earlier I had decided to buy a Brio Vxi for that sweet engine and abs. But then my friends said it looked feminine! Even my parents say the same, so im disinclined towards it now. Plus it clealry isnt vfm.

Grand i10 sportz(o). Took a test drive. Very impressed with quality of interior. Plus android auto and carplay!!!! Facelift released just 1 month back. Talk about vfm. However I hate the steering. Did they make the steering shaft from a wet noodle? Literally no feedback. Also abs is missing. Parents gravitating towards i10

Swift Vxi(o). excellent performance and handling. Entertainment system no match for i10. Also, i prefer i10 exterior over swift. New facelift is eminent. I don't want a outdated car in just 1 year!!!. Conflicting reports about release date. Some say sep 2017, others say spring 2018. Can anyone tell me if they have any information about this?

So, what are your thoughts? Are there any other cars I should consider? Im extremely confused. Wish that swift wasn't getting a facelift.

Now I'm thinking about getting the i10 and be done with it. But ALL of my friends and brothers say that Swift is better.

P.S. How much should the monthly running be to make the diesel worth it? My monthly running wont be over 900.

Re: Need a new commuter car for college.

Hi guys! Im a med student and i need a car for college and gym.

> Your Budget: Rs.6 – 8 Lakh

> New or Used: New car. Used cars, I've found, aren't that much cheaper in my city. 5 yo swift? 4.5L. Might as well pay 2 more lakhs and get a new car.

> Your Location:maharashtra

> Top Five Priorities:Safety, Interior quality, Performance, Handling, Impressive exterior.

> Monthly Running: less than 1000

> Type of Fuel: no preference

> For What Purpose: 80% city. 20% highway

> Type of Segment: hatchback

> Passengers : 90% of the time I'll be the only person in the car. So rear seat comfort or luggage space aren't important.

Options i've been considering are swift, grande i10 and brio.

Earlier I had decided to buy a Brio Vxi for that sweet engine and abs. But then my friends said it looked feminine! Even my parents say the same, so im disinclined towards it now. Plus it clealry isnt vfm.

Grand i10 sportz(o). Took a test drive. Very impressed with quality of interior. Plus android auto and carplay!!!! Facelift released just 1 month back. Talk about vfm. However I hate the steering. Did they make the steering shaft from a wet noodle? Literally no feedback. Also abs is missing. Parents gravitating towards i10

Swift Vxi(o). excellent performance and handling. Entertainment system no match for i10. Also, i prefer i10 exterior over swift. New facelift is eminent. I don't want a outdated car in just 1 year!!!. Conflicting reports about release date. Some say sep 2017, others say spring 2018. Can anyone tell me if they have any information about this?

So, what are your thoughts? Are there any other cars I should consider? Im extremely confused. Wish that swift wasn't getting a facelift.

Now I'm thinking about getting the i10 and be done with it. But ALL of my friends and brothers say that Swift is better.

P.S. How much should the monthly running be to make the diesel worth it? My monthly running wont be over 900.
Hey Junior, feeling excited for talking to a medico first time @ TAI. Your requirements are exactly same as of mine. For your running diesels doesn't make sense. As you require the car for college commute my choice will be TATA tiago XZ - stunning design and interiors, solid built, nice handling . Grand i10 is also very nice car but avoid sportz variant due to lack of ABS. Choose between these two. Both are decent sellers as well. Don't buy brio (dud). Or dated and cramped swift. Happy miles ahead.

kkn13

Suspended

Id say get a Baleno, Figo diesel or Brio CVT
Tiago has good interiors but after sales and engine are a let down

I would recommend you to TD the below cars as well:
Tiago XZ
- I am guessing you may not like its throaty engine note but I feel it has enough punch with just the driver on board.
Etios Liva
- I have not driven it but it was my second choice (for safety and reliability reasons) if my Tiago delivery was delayed further. That instrument console at the center of dashboard is yucky.

kkn13

Suspended

I would recommend you to TD the below cars as well:
Tiago XZ
- I am guessing you may not like its throaty engine note but I feel it has enough punch with just the driver on board.
Etios Liva
- I have not driven it but it was my second choice (for safety and reliability reasons) if my Tiago delivery was delayed further. That instrument console at the center of dashboard is yucky.
Etios is very dated even if its an excellent car otherwise
The old 1.5 petrol was a hoot to drive, current engines are so-so imho

1.3 MJD and Hyundai 1.4CRDI are the best engines in this class by a long shot
Being a young student myself, Id suggest any car with these 2 engines , easy on the pocket, tried and tested and absolutely niggle free

Swift,Baleno, i20, i10,Figo are the most proven and balanced cars here
Ignis too but it doesnt appeal to everyone

Take a test drive and youll see why I say so, if im correct about your driving preference wanting more oomph and punch in the engine, good mileage and good after sales

Last edited:

From your list my pick would be Grand i10. If you have more budget then Jazz/i20 are lucrative. I have owned it earlier and it is one of the best hatchbacks in the country. Also seeing your requirement, I would just please just don't write off Tiago without checking out the car for yourself. I own that car currently (apart from an i10/i20) and can vouch for it especially the amazing ride quality which can put say a baleno to shame or the best Music System <10L. Although if you are looking for very fuel efficient engines then diesel ones make more sense but wouldn't be as cosy as the petrol ones.

Thread Starter #7

Unfortunately, the tata service centre in my town has very ill repute. I'll be steering clear of the tiago.

Now my choices are i10 asta or i20 sportz. Both cost almost the same! what would you recommend?

Unfortunately, the tata service centre in my town has very ill repute. I'll be steering clear of the tiago.

Now my choices are i10 asta or i20 sportz. Both cost almost the same! what would you recommend?
i20 sportz until you need touchscreen avn die hard. That car is one of the most beautiful car on Indian roads inside out.

Hi guys! Im a med student
Hey Junior, feeling excited for talking to a medico first time @ TAI.
Whoa!! Looks like there is a Doctor gang from Rajasthan here. Shardul, Dr. Rishabh and Dr. Sachin (From Nagaur, Shardul's place), all three from Rajasthan, all three TAIgers and all three are doctors.

Back to topic:
When the budget is 6-8 lac, 80% city drive and to-be-owner is a young boy, how can one settle for a Hyundai or Maruti when Ford is there?

My take:
Get Figo [evil]
Get the 1.5 Ti-VCT Automatic, that engine sounds very very sweet and the automatic will always keep you happy in the city.

Else

Get the diesel Figo, as a young chap who drives a Polo diesel, I recommend you the car that will always plant a smile on your face whenever you bury the accelerator. Why think A.S.S. and all BS when you are a single guy? [;)]

1.3 MJD and Hyundai 1.4CRDI are the best engines in this class by a long shot
Those who have not driven the Toyota 1.4 D-4D (For that superb power delivery) or Ford 1.5 (For the way it lays down the power) or the papaji of all - VW 1.5 TDi (Enough said, everyone knows this engine), I would request them not to give such misguiding statements. [sleep]

Last edited:

Whoa!! Looks like there is a Doctor gang from Rajasthan here. Shardul, Dr. Rishabh and Dr. Sachin (From Nagaur, Shardul's place), all three from Rajasthan, all three TAIgers and all three are doctors.

Back to topic:
When the budget is 6-8 lac, 80% city drive and to-be-owner is a young boy, how can one settle for a Hyundai or Maruti when Ford is there?

My take:
Get Figo [evil]
Get the 1.5 Ti-VCT Automatic, that engine sounds very very sweet and the automatic will always keep you happy in the city.

Else

Get the diesel Figo, as a young chap who drives a Polo diesel, I recommend you the car that will always plant a smile on your face whenever you bury the accelerator. Why think A.S.S. and all BS when you are a single guy? [;)]

Those who have not driven the Toyota 1.4 D-4D (For that superb power delivery) or Ford 1.5 (For the way it lays down the power) or the papaji of all - VW 1.5 TDi (Enough said, everyone knows this engine), I would request them not to give such misguiding statements. [sleep]
Well even i didn't know about neighboring medicos.Very good to know that Some Rajasthani medicos are petrolheads as i look like an alien to my friends when i talk about cars in front of them.

Thread Starter #11

My take:
Get Figo [evil]

Else

While, the DCT figo is way out of my price range, I dont like the interiors on the diesel.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Why think A.S.S. and all BS when you are a single guy?
A reliable ASC Network is always better. When a person is single or dating, he/she has 10 types of other expenses to take care of. So who would like to unnecessary take tension of the car's service and heavy repair bills? Time spent with a suitable match is better than time spent in sitting at the car workshop. However, in your case, [lol]you have 1000 ideas of how to spend time at the ASC in the best way[;)].

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Well even i didn't know about neighboring medicos.Very good to know that Some Rajasthani medicos are petrolheads as i look like an alien to my friends when i talk about cars in front of them.
No worries, nearly everyone here is an alien in their respective circles. We are here for searching the ones like we are, after all.

While, the DCT figo is way out of my price range, I dont like the interiors on the diesel.
Your budget is 8 lac, I guess the DCT can come for around 8.2-8.3 with the discounts - if any.

Additionally what is different in diesel interior? I guess you like the black + beige of Aspire and Figo gets an all black interior.

BTW if you are fine with compact sedans, then you can also give Ameo Comfortline 1.5 Diesel a try, with the 10% discount offer that is currently running, it may fell smack in your budget and I tell you man, this car is a hoot to drive. Recently I spent over 600 kms with VW Ameo media car and I came damn impressed. Except the shape, it has everything that will appeal the 'boy' in you. I tell you, this is one gem of an engine, and the interior fit, finish, quality is unmatched coupled to a brilliant ride, handling and performance combo - Ameo C/L 1.5 D IMHO is the best overall package you can get at 8-8.2 lac (With current 10% discount). Rest if you don't like compact sedans, then simply go and get a Figo for you. Powerful vehicle is not just about the high acceleration and top speed, it's even more about the ease of driving and brilliant all round power delivery it offers - something a puny 1248 cc diesel engine under the hood of a swift can never offer.

Maintenance: My Polo 1.5D Highline has already done 43k kms in 1 year and 4 months - not a single issue to complaint over till date.

A reliable ASC Network is always better. When a person is single or dating, he/she has 10 types of other expenses to take care of. So who would like to unnecessary take tension of the car's service and heavy repair bills? Time spent with a suitable match is better than time spent in sitting at the car workshop. However, in your case, [lol]you have 1000 ideas of how to spend time at the ASC in the best way.

Regards

Akash
Don't worry, neither Ford, nor VW vehicles are unreliable enough to act as a 'sautan' for one's GF. Rest my ways of spending time in A.S.S. stations are amongst the most humble and fool proof ones; you should also try.

kkn13

Suspended

I mean overall, I forgot to add *"One of the best" too
VW TDI has a heavy clutch though engine itself is good but too much initial lag compared to Hyundai and MJD diesel though it trumps in top end performance which is basically on highways where 1.3 MJD loses power after 120kmph

I totally forgot about Ford 1.5 Diesel, its easily the most balanced engine here and I apologize for forgetting to add this

Toyota 1.4 and Honda 1.5 IDTEC are not bad but they are very crude engines compared to the others though power delivery etc is pretty ok but lack refinement

DCT/DSG are not recommended especially for a student, being a grad student myself , I wouldnt want to mess with the maintenance and reliability issues of such transmissions

Students like the OP and I want a fast car but it should be safe,good looking, good after sales and reliability, easy on the pocket maintenance and mileage
Therefore options are more limited and Id suggest Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Toyota(only included because of after sales, not a fan of the Etios' current engines and interiors), Ford (They are taking the market very seriously and should be given a chance).

Thread Starter #15
Unfortunately, I found the figo interiors very disappointing. Maybe the TD car was ill maintained? That nokia infotainment system is rather lacklustre. Frankly, eon is more pleasant to seat inside.
Can't disagree though that diesel figo is one of the best enthusiasts car under 10 lakhs. Engine's phenomenal.
But i already have my daddy's old 1.8L petrol Corolla... And all that turbo can't beat displacement.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm really looking for good looks inside and outside. My options seem limited to i20 sportz and i10 asta. The only difference is the lack of start/stop button, keyless entry and touchscreen. Also, petrol i20 is more sluggish than i10 as its 100 kg heavier.

Top Bottom