Swapping My 1 Year Old Maruti Celerio With New Tata Tiago?

Thread Starter #1
I bought a Celerio VXI (O) (ABS + Airbag) (manual) last year. It's done about 7600 kms. Mostly I use within the city and I am quite happy with the Celerio. But I am worried about its body structure strength. I feel Marutis don't really give a feeling of safety, particularly when going on highways.
I am considering whether it would be worth to sell the Celerio and buy the Tiago petrol. Or keep the Celerio for now.
I would like some inputs regarding general comfort, usage (both in city and long drives) and also mileage. More specifically whether the Tiago petrol version is good enough when compared to Suzuki's engines which are butter smooth. Also the Celerio's cabin space is quite decent as I am a 6 foot guy, for me driving comfort is very important, though in this range of hatches, the rear leg room is always compromised with a tall driver.
The thing that pulls me towards Tata is the safety aspect regarding body structural integrity over and above Maruti, though I believe the Tiago does not have ABS , it does come with airbag model.

Last edited:
Re: Should I consider getting Tata Tiago after selling my 1 year old Celerio

I bought a Celerio VXI (O) (ABS + Airbag) (manual) last year. It's done about 7600 kms. Mostly I use within the city and I am quite happy with the Celerio. But I am worried about its body structure strength. I feel Marutis don't really give a feeling of safety, particularly when going on highways.
I am considering whether it would be worth to sell the Celerio and buy the Tiago petrol. Or keep the Celerio for now.
I would like some inputs regarding general comfort, usage (both in city and long drives) and also mileage. More specifically whether the Tiago petrol version is good enough when compared to Suzuki's engines which are butter smooth. Also the Celerio's cabin space is quite decent as I am a 6 foot guy, for me driving comfort is very important, though in this range of hatches, the rear leg room is always compromised with a tall driver.
The thing that pulls me towards Tata is the safety aspect regarding body structural integrity over and above Maruti, though I believe the Tiago does not have ABS , it does come with airbag model.
Tata cars fare better in terms of structural strength. Example:: Doors and panels are much stronger in Tata cars.

But I wouldn't recommened this change for the following reasons:

1. less used car.
2. changing within the same segment
3. Forget the structural aspect. I really appericate you going for the VXI optional. Put your faith on the airbags and drive carefully within normal speed limits.

Thread Starter #3

Yes, I am keen on the safety aspects. This was one reason for my choosing the O-variant of the Celerio.

Generally I rarely drive > 90-95 kmph on highways, for both economy of fuel and safety reasons. I sometimes cruise at 100 kmph on empty wide stretches of the National Highway, but nothing more than that.

The biggest factor is that I read that the Celerio fared poorly in the NCAP crash tests particularly with respect of structural integrity.

Though I try not to think negative, but to me a car should feel safe even for psychological aspect, as it gives a sense of comfort for driver and passengers.

Last edited:

I think it doesn't make sense selling just a year old car and getting same segment car. I would rather suggest you to wait for a month for Tigor and get that.

Being a Tiago Owner, I won't suggest you to switch to Tiago. As your car is just a year old and the car depreciates alot in first year.
And as others suggested keeping your running and switching to same segment is not the best idea (no offense Brother). Also if you are willing to buy, wait for crash test reports of Tiago before putting money in it.
Tiago comes with ABS and Airbags in XZ Variant. Optional variants doesn't come with ABS though.

Thread Starter #6

Yes, I am leaning towards keeping it now. As you said the depreciation is a big factor, I would be losing out on the value of the car especially since I have only 7600 km on the odometer.
But I was tempted by the reviews, and especially considering that the build strength of Tata cars are generally better.
Maybe next year, I will go for a basic Sedan instead of hatchback.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended

Not worth selling a one year old car and going for Tiago
If anything, move up one segment instead of sticking to this segment

One 6 footer to another, I highly suggest higher seating cars or even one of the psuedo raised hatches/CUV/SUV whatever its categorised as
Otherwise makes no sense to sell the Celerio

Hi Harisankar,
I agree with GautamJ as Tiago is not yet crash tested by an independent authority like Euro NCAP or Asia NCAP. Though it feels safer inside a Tiago when compared to Celerio, we are not 100% sure of it's structural rigidity yet (remember Zest's recent crash test?). Besides, rear leg room is definitely compromised with a tall driver in Tiago as well.

Thread Starter #9

Yes, I will go by this advise. As the Celerio is mostly run in the city and only occasional highway trips. Is there any crash report of celerio with the air bag model?

Last edited:

Keep the celerio .
Reasons

Depreciation factor.
Celerio and tiago same class. So jumping from one boat to another doesn't make much sense .
It is hard to find a car that ticks all boxes for a person. Celerio is a lovely car,with peace of mind and good mileage.
Tiago is a new car , so u can peacefully wait for a long term review and down the line u may find a better launch .
Drive safe , not only us , the car should also be protected.

Enjoy the car you have and not to worry over the one u don't.

Celerio is a VXi O variant with ABS and airbags. Why to sell it for a Tiago? You will take depreciation and still will be left with a car from same segment. Not at all a wise decision IMO.

Now let me put it your way; in case you are still hell bent for selling the Celerio, then you can look for exchanging it for some properly built and a segment or 2 higher hatchback like Polo or i20.

Yes, I am leaning towards keeping it now. As you said the depreciation is a big factor, I would be losing out on the value of the car especially since I have only 7600 km on the odometer.
But I was tempted by the reviews, and especially considering that the build strength of Tata cars are generally better.
Maybe next year, I will go for a basic Sedan instead of hatchback.
I think everyone should have evaluated the safety aspect before making a crucial decision especially in a state where the deaths due to road accidents are highest in the country. Yours being predominantly a city drive and being a sedate driver, I would suggest you to retain the car for a couple of years.
You may switch to a viable alternative once you have more options to choose from. Celerio is a comfortable car and you can live with it.

kkn13

Suspended

Hi Harisankar,
I agree with GautamJ as Tiago is not yet crash tested by an independent authority like Euro NCAP or Asia NCAP. Though it feels safer inside a Tiago when compared to Celerio, we are not 100% sure of it's structural rigidity yet (remember Zest's recent crash test?). Besides, rear leg room is definitely compromised with a tall driver in Tiago as well.
Yeah Im 6ft 3 and Celerio seating is certainly higher and comfortable for tall people though I personally dont like either car much because of low seating and headroom etc

Top Bottom