Buying Dilemma: New Ertiga SVHS or Used Mahindra XUV500

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAIgers,

I would need your expertise and experience to take a wise decision for my next car. I am in a dilemma for quite a few months trying to figure out whether to buy a used well maintained xuv500 or a new svhs Ertiga Vdi. My budget is around 10L which is a little flexibile. I am looking only at a seven seater option and my monthly usage is less than 1k kms, including the highway runs. I hardly use my car in the city and i have another sedan at home for that, which i dont intend to sell. The priority for me is space, mileage and less cost on spares/service.

I really need your wise suggestions to help me with a take an informed decision in buying my next car. Thanks all in advance.

Cheers,
RockyBhai[:)]

Last edited:
Re: Buying Dilemma - New Ertiga svhs or used XUV500

Hello TAIgers,

I would need your expertise and experience to take a wise decision for my next car. I am in a dilemma for quite a few months trying to figure out whether to buy a used well maintained xuv500 or a new svhs Ertiga Vdi. My budget is around 10L which is a little flexibile. I am looking only at a seven seater option and my monthly usage is less than 1k kms, including the highway runs. I hardly use my car in the city and i have another sedan at home for that, which i dont intend to sell. The priority for me is space, mileage and less cost on spares/service.

I really need your wise suggestions to help me with a take an informed decision in buying my next car. Thanks all in advance.

Cheers,
Hello RockyBhai,
Could you explain more about your daily commute in a month... Since you said it's outside a city, is it for use in a rural area or occasional long drives?

Thread Starter #3
Buying Dilemma - New Ertiga svhs or used XUV500

It will only be for the ocassional high drive and may be with a bit of rural landscape, but even there the roads aren't bad..city usage might be for local grocery shopping or an ocassional trip to the park with the family

It will only be for the ocassional high drive and may be with a bit of rural landscape, but even there the roads aren't bad..city usage might be for local grocery shopping or an ocassional trip to the park with the family
While the XUV is quite a comfortable and capable 7 seater, a lot of niggles and quality issues are also present.. my father's older brother has one that he bought in 2011, it's clocked a mileage north of 50,000 as far as I know.. he reported issues right from when the vehicle crossed the 31,000 mark.
A lot of squeaks and rattles are present too..

So you should do a lot of research on a well maintained second hand XUV... It is a comfortable car, capable too as all the tech works irrespective of quality issues..
DRL failures, touchscreen display glitches, faulty 3rd row AC and non functional power sockets are few things to look out for in the XUV...
For instance, about a year ago we had taken an XUV from ZoomCar and the vehicle had by then finished 80,000 Kms, the cabin lights didn't work, cracked windshield, front 12V socket, and a lot of squeaks along with a jarring tractor like noise from the engine bay were there ... But as we descended the Chamundi Hills, features like hill hold assist were promptly functioning.... And so was Bluetooth and other infotainment...

Coming to the Ertiga,
It screams Maruti... As most of us know, wide service network, cheap maintenance, certainly more reliable on long journeys, and also more fuel efficient, this too is pretty comfortable and the new models have the micro hybrid feature....

In my opinion, I would hit the second hand market for an Innova, although it is tough to find an Innova in the second hand market with less than 25,000 Kms, I would search for one and pick that up... Consider that option too!
Toyota's comfort and reliability are unmatched!

Hello TAIgers,

Cheers,
Ertiga has sufficient GC to tackle potholes. But it's just a swift with added seats. Lost cost of maintianence is just a myth. as you are buying a new one, you can ignore the devil of maintainence cost.

XUV is mahindra flagship warhorse. The engine is super responsive and there are new niggles with XUV. Check out the complete service history before buying. But a lot of money for a used car, not a great idea.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks Kashyap and Pravin for throwing in your thoughts. Much appreciated.

@ Kashyap - I have been using my Toyota Corolla for more than a decade and it still drives like a charm. I will never sell it off and will probably drive it till its eternity. But I am really not a big fan of the Innova.

Yeah, it does make a lot of sense to buy a new car instead of paying such a heavy price for an used one. Nevertheless, it will be a mouthwatering deal if I get my hands on a very well used Xuv from within my known circle.

Will keep you updated on my buy.

Thanks, Cheers.

kkn13

Suspended

While the XUV is quite a comfortable and capable 7 seater, a lot of niggles and quality issues are also present.. my father's older brother has one that he bought in 2011, it's clocked a mileage north of 50,000 as far as I know.. he reported issues right from when the vehicle crossed the 31,000 mark.
A lot of squeaks and rattles are present too..

So you should do a lot of research on a well maintained second hand XUV... It is a comfortable car, capable too as all the tech works irrespective of quality issues..
DRL failures, touchscreen display glitches, faulty 3rd row AC and non functional power sockets are few things to look out for in the XUV...
For instance, about a year ago we had taken an XUV from ZoomCar and the vehicle had by then finished 80,000 Kms, the cabin lights didn't work, cracked windshield, front 12V socket, and a lot of squeaks along with a jarring tractor like noise from the engine bay were there ... But as we descended the Chamundi Hills, features like hill hold assist were promptly functioning.... And so was Bluetooth and other infotainment...

Coming to the Ertiga,
It screams Maruti... As most of us know, wide service network, cheap maintenance, certainly more reliable on long journeys, and also more fuel efficient, this too is pretty comfortable and the new models have the micro hybrid feature....

In my opinion, I would hit the second hand market for an Innova, although it is tough to find an Innova in the second hand market with less than 25,000 Kms, I would search for one and pick that up... Consider that option too!
Toyota's comfort and reliability are unmatched!
totally agreed
I drove a rental innova run 3L km 6 months back, ran almost like my 20k km innova back home

Hi

XUV is good for highway with responsive engine & lot of features like cruse control & cooled box under arm rest & super comfortable front seats (i have driven both W6 & W8 on some long runs so i know front seat are super comfortable [:)]). as per your budget you can get a good condition XUV easily with under 25k in ODO. but i still advice you to go for a new XUV W4 or W6 by increasing your budget.

For Ertiga i will say its a comfortable all rounder, it can be city car or you can use it for long run too.
New VDi have most of needed features like airbags, abs & steering audio & Bluetooth controls & most important its mycro hybrid so as compared to other diesel cars its allowed for 15 years on road .

Thanks Kashyap and Pravin for throwing in your thoughts. Much appreciated.

@ Kashyap - I have been using my Toyota Corolla for more than a decade and it still drives like a charm. I will never sell it off and will probably drive it till its eternity. But I am really not a big fan of the Innova.

Yeah, it does make a lot of sense to buy a new car instead of paying such a heavy price for an used one. Nevertheless, it will be a mouthwatering deal if I get my hands on a very well used Xuv from within my known circle.

Will keep you updated on my buy.

Thanks, Cheers.
Hey that's nice! You have the old Corolla! That one oozes quality and refinement hehe..
Since you're not keen on the Innova, it is relatable considering it's van like footprint.

If you're walking the XUV lane, getting one from your known circle will save you half the stress... Still, it's a very capable, fun SUV that has all the bells and whistles you need for that highway drive and more... If only those annoying niggles weren't there...
Wish you a smooth buying process whatsoever :)

Hi Rockybhai,

I think Ertiga Would be a better option as the 3rd seats are anyways the similar to XUV's in ertiga yet comfortable With Better Under thigh Support too, and you also would have a usable boot space compared to XUV's. Yes XUV Has a host of features that Ertiga Doesn't but the Plastic Quality, Trouble Free Ownership, And a New car Feeling would be there with you rather than a used one, Even if you're buying a XUV Go for the New Age XUV 5OO W6 as the new age model is slightly with less niggles and troubles than the pre facelift ones, but anyways lot of new age XUV ownership reviews still bear a lot of niggles in a brand new initial stage, No Offense Just From my view.

If you want to know more about the ownership experience of a Ertiga SHVS Check out my Ownership Review:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...a-granite-grey-zdi-shvs-highway-champion.html I Own a Maruti Ertiga ZDi+ SHVS.

And for the cost you buy a New age XUV 5OO W4 You can easily buy a Ertiga ZDi+ SHVS, Also the Resale Value is Slightly Better than the XUV5OO. And The car will be better in city rides, parking, taking a u-turn in a very narrow spaces the ertiga would be more convenient, And in city am getting 20.5Kmpl and on highways 21-22Kmpl Which is extremely good for the size of the car IMO.

Last edited:

Top Bottom