Need Suggestion. Which Car To Buy? Maruti Ignis or Tata Tiago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first car purchase. For the past 10 years, I drove a two wheeler(Pulsar 150cc) and I thought, now this is a time to add two more wheels. [:)]

After a thorough research, discussions and test drives, I ended up with Maruti Suzuki IGNIS Delta Petrol and Tata Tiago XZ petrol. Both are manual transmission vehicles. Below are the very important criteria which made me to finalize the above two cars.

1. Safety features: A car with Dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Child safety
2. Price: On-road price should not be more than Rs 6,50,000.

IGNIS (all Variants) and Tiago (only XZ variant) comes with complete safety package.

Below are the On-road price in Bangalore for both cars
Maruti Suzuki IGNIS Delta Petrol is Rs 6,53,000
Tata Tiago XZ Petrol price is Rs 6,32,000

There are lot of other features and requirements but all of them are really not worth mentioning here.

I went for test drives and found that both looks similar for me as I am very new to driving a 4 wheeler. Just got license in Dec '16. [;)]

After all of the above, I ended up with IGNIS and Tiago.[frustration]

I did not consider the After sales and service as I am really not sure who is good (tata Vs Maruti). I am expecting your suggestions.

So this is to request the experienced members of this group to give your suggestions to solve my problem. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Need suggestion. Which car to buy? IGNIS or TIAGO?

Hello all,

This is my first car purchase. For the past 10 years, I drove a two wheeler(Pulsar 150cc) and I thought, now this is a time to add two more wheels. [:)]

After a thorough research, discussions and test drives, I ended up with Maruti Suzuki IGNIS Delta Petrol and Tata Tiago XZ petrol. Both are manual transmission vehicles. Below are the very important criteria which made me to finalize the above two cars.

1. Safety features: A car with Dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Child safety
2. Price: On-road price should not be more than Rs 6,50,000.

IGNIS (all Variants) and Tiago (only XZ variant) comes with complete safety package.

Below are the On-road price in Bangalore for both cars
Maruti Suzuki IGNIS Delta Petrol is Rs 6,53,000
Tata Tiago XZ Petrol price is Rs 6,32,000

There are lot of other features and requirements but all of them are really not worth mentioning here.

I went for test drives and found that both looks similar for me as I am very new to driving a 4 wheeler. Just got license in Dec '16. [;)]

After all of the above, I ended up with IGNIS and Tiago.[frustration]

I did not consider the After sales and service as I am really not sure who is good (tata Vs Maruti). I am expecting your suggestions.

So this is to request the experienced members of this group to give your suggestions to solve my problem. Thanks a lot in advance.
There is no comparsion here. A spacious car(Tiago) vs a Tin can object( No offence to Maruthi owners, i have a swift too). Tiago has been a volume seller for Tata. Tata has improved a lot in terms of build quality and services. Lot of our members are happy with their Tiago.

IGNIS doesn't inspire any styling. It looks like a box on 4 four wheels. It is very narrow. Though it has one cylinder advantage(swift's engine), there is nothing going for it.

Tiago's performance cannot be underestimated. It's has good performance.

Between the options, Tiago hands down. Ignis will be another celerio in terms of value. If you are willing to sacrifice the features for power, safety and frugality, do take a look at Figo base 1.5d. It offers two airbags, ABS,EBD and an amazing 100bhp engine capable of being frugal to the tune of 24kpl in real life. 6.5lacs.

Re: Need suggestion. Which car to buy? IGNIS or TIAGO?

It has to be tiago for me . Let's compare important things .
Safety-tiago feels safer and has better sheet metal .
Engine-the Ignis has tried and tested engines . I don't think the tiagos engine will have any problem . But the Marutis diesel engine especially is totally tried and tested by Maruti .
Performance-obviously Marutis will have better performance due to light weight and better power to weight ratio.
Efficiency-both the cars are quite close in terms of efficiency .
Interior quality- tiago would surely trump the Ignis since tiago uses good material when compared to Ignis.
ICE- should I even compare the two here . Tiago is the winner without any doubt . What a system it is . I just love it .
Handling-i think the Ignis will do better due to better tyres . But the weight of Tata would surely help it handle better .
Space and comfort- I think you should sit in both and decide for yourself .
Overall marks would go to the Tata . I have driven the petrol tiago and loved it . My views on Ignis was based on reviews and I have never driven or sat in one . Please consider the ford Figo if you can go with it .

No brainer. Tiago trumps Ignis hand down.

The only advantage I see for Ignis is 4 cyl engine and slightly better pickup but Tiago has a good 3 cylinder engine. Other than that its Tiago hands down. Only airbags can't do anything, Maruti build quality is no match to the solid build quality of Tiago. I have seen Tiago accident pics and car looks very strong built.

I think you should compare looks too. Its not even perspective in this comparo. We are comparing a hot looking hatch to a matchbox on wheels. The interior quality and design is miles better in Tiago. Seats are much more comfortable as per experts.

Ps- xz without alloys in Tiago can save you a good 24k.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
There is no comparsion here. A spacious car(Tiago) vs a Tin can object( No offence to Maruthi owners, i have a swift too). Tiago has been a volume seller for Tata. Tata has improved a lot in terms of build quality and services. Lot of our members are happy with their Tiago.

IGNIS doesn't inspire any styling. It looks like a box on 4 four wheels. It is very narrow. Though it has one cylinder advantage(swift's engine), there is nothing going for it.

Tiago's performance cannot be underestimated. It's has good performance.
Hello pravin1987, I understand that Maruti cars are almost like toy cars. But if you see the NEXA line-up of cars like S-Cross or Baleno, I am pretty much confident that the build quality has a lot of improvement. I havn't seen any IGNIS on road yet, but the Baleno and S-Cross looks awesome.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Between the options, Tiago hands down. Ignis will be another celerio in terms of value. If you are willing to sacrifice the features for power, safety and frugality, do take a look at Figo base 1.5d. It offers two airbags, ABS,EBD and an amazing 100bhp engine capable of being frugal to the tune of 24kpl in real life. 6.5lacs.
Hello Commuter, I checked the Figo cars. But with my requirement of Dual airbags, ABS with EBD are matching with only Figo Titaniam MT variant, where on road price of Petrol in Bangalore is above Rs 7 lac. That was the only reason why Ford is not my option.[cry].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
It has to be tiago for me . Let's compare important things .
Safety-tiago feels safer and has better sheet metal .
Engine-the Ignis has tried and tested engines . I don't think the tiagos engine will have any problem . But the Marutis diesel engine especially is totally tried and tested by Maruti .
Performance-obviously Marutis will have better performance due to light weight and better power to weight ratio.
Efficiency-both the cars are quite close in terms of efficiency .
Interior quality- tiago would surely trump the Ignis since tiago uses good material when compared to Ignis.
ICE- should I even compare the two here . Tiago is the winner without any doubt . What a system it is . I just love it .
Handling-i think the Ignis will do better due to better tyres . But the weight of Tata would surely help it handle better .
Space and comfort- I think you should sit in both and decide for yourself .
Overall marks would go to the Tata . I have driven the petrol tiago and loved it . My views on Ignis was based on reviews and I have never driven or sat in one . Please consider the ford Figo if you can go with it .
Thank you helpinghand for the details.
My first vote was for Tiago. Later got some feedback from friends (who doesn't own a tata, but again its their view) that Tata services are pathetic and spare parts are costly when compared to Maruti. Then I checked in all other brands with budget and safety are primary requirements. Then realized that Safety features are only available in higher variants of any vehicle and those variants are out of my list due to budget.

Then saw the news about IGNIS launch and only the delta variant of petrol is in my budget. But of course, as you mentioned, IGNIS is costly with less features and with an additional cylinder.

Can you give me your view of After sale service of Tata and Maruti. Or any link in the forum also helpful for me. Thanks in advance.

No brainer. Tiago trumps Ignis hand down.

The only advantage I see for Ignis is 4 cyl engine and slightly better pickup but Tiago has a good 3 cylinder engine. Other than that its Tiago hands down. Only airbags can't do anything, Maruti build quality is no match to the solid build quality of Tiago. I have seen Tiago accident pics and car looks very strong built.

I think you should compare looks too. Its not even perspective in this comparo. We are comparing a hot looking hatch to a matchbox on wheels. The interior quality and design is miles better in Tiago. Seats are much more comfortable as per experts.

Ps- xz without alloys in Tiago can save you a good 24k.
Thank you AbhishekVerma for your inputs. I guess, you own a Tiago, as per your profile pic. [clap]

I have some questions regarding tata and tiago.
How is the after sale service of Tata? I am worried about the service and cost of spare parts. As Maruti is knows for After sales and service, i bit skeptical about tata. [confused]

What is the advantage of Alloys? As the XZ with alloys is still with in my budget, i can still go for it, if it really advantageous other than looks.

Is it possible to install "Reverse parking camera"?

thanks for your inputs.

After sales service of maruti is just hype. Owning maruti cars for over a decade, I will not give a star for MASS. Most of the mechanics are newbies and the advisers are not up to the mark. About Tata, there have been lot of negative publicity by vested interests. Tata service had changed a lot in the past 3 years.
It is a myth that Maruti service is cheap .It is not cheap nor good any more.
At the same time, Tata had come up good. Would suggest you to go for Tata cars.

Thread Starter #9
After sales service of maruti is just hype. Owning maruti cars for over a decade, I will not give a star for MASS. Most of the mechanics are newbies and the advisers are not up to the mark. About Tata, there have been lot of negative publicity by vested interests. Tata service had changed a lot in the past 3 years.
Thanks for your inputs generalmax. Your point is truly valuable for me in my assessment.
My dad used to say Maruti is best for after sales and service. I understand his views from his experience and the trust maruti made in their generation just like LIC.

Your signature statement is superb. Life is just a highway and the soul is just a car! [thumbsup]

Last edited:
How is the after sale service of Tata? I am worried about the service and cost of spare parts. As Maruti is knows for After sales and service, i bit skeptical about tata. [confused]
Hi Deepak, I own a Tiago from June-2016 and can vouch for Tata's improving Service Centers. Yes there are a couple of bad ASCs here and there but being in Bangalore, there should not be a problem finding the best one out of the lot.
As for the service and spare costs, you can check out the TMSC (Tata Motors Service Connect) App from Andriod/Apple app stores and refer it's cost estimator for comparison.

What is the advantage of Alloys? As the XZ with alloys is still with in my budget, i can still go for it, if it really advantageous other than looks.
From my limited knowledge, alloys have higher strength and lesser weight than their steel counterparts.

Is it possible to install "Reverse parking camera"?
Yes but it would void electrical warranty if not installed properly. I would recommend installing it after you experience the parking sensors of Tiago for a month or so. IMO they are sufficient and reliable than a camera.

Thread Starter #12
Hi Deepak, I own a Tiago from June-2016 and can vouch for Tata's improving Service Centers. Yes there are a couple of bad ASCs here and there but being in Bangalore, there should not be a problem finding the best one out of the lot.
Hello Prabhagar, I read your Ownership review of Tiago in one of the thread. And your thread is the main reason that Tiago still lives in my options. And now I am 65% convinced for Tiago.

I will check with Abhishekverma who is the owner of Tiago in Bangalore about service. Thank you.

As for the service and spare costs, you can check out the TMSC (Tata Motors Service Connect) App from Andriod/Apple app stores and refer it's cost estimator for comparison.
I will check this app. Thanks again.

Yes but it would void electrical warranty if not installed properly. I would recommend installing it after you experience the parking sensors of Tiago for a month or so. IMO they are sufficient and reliable than a camera.
I take your suggestion here. If I go for Tiago, i will use the sensors for one or two months and then if i needed, i will go for Camera.

If the Reverse parking camera is dealer fitted, I hope, the electrical warranty is not void. Please update if i am wrong.

If the Reverse parking camera is dealer fitted, I hope, the electrical warranty is not void. Please update if i am wrong
Technically, any non OEM accessory installed at any shop is considered to void warranty. Practically, I am not sure how it is handled, sometimes dealers may be lenient if the accessory was installed by them.
Off Topic: Here is something to scare you away from Tata Motors [lol]:
Tata Tiago : Official Review - Page 93 - Team-BHP

But still people think that service is cheap. I would say MS service is costlier than Ford. Last week my neighbor was discussing with me that hes buying a new car. He had zeroed down to Baleno. I told all the pros & cons of Baleno. But he was still sticking in his terms that MS service is so cheap, despite showing all of my service cost in my fiesta. So the perception with the public should change that MS is only making tincan cars.

Hi,

IGNIS is just 835 kg and will help in giving mileage but will suffer damage in an accident.Tata tiago is better built but the issue is with their poor after sales service and reliability of petrol engine which is brand new.Tata is expert in diesel not petrol and has not seen success in petrol cars like maruti and Hyundai.I suggest you look at Hyundai grand i10 2016 model for better build,you can also demand for more discount since the facelift is due anytime in Feb..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom