Premium Hatchback: Honda Jazz vs Others

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my car from a 2012 Alto K-10. Since 90% of my drive is in Bangalore city, I'm inclined towards a premium hatchback or a compact sedan than going for a full length sedan.

My top priorities:
1. Good drivability (Decent performance & good ride quality)
2. Adequate space & comfort for 3 adults in the rear (This is must for my quarterly family outing!)
3. Good FE & low maintenance (shouldn't be a pocket burner)

Considering-
Maruti Baleno: Checks all my requirements easily but I'm little skeptikal about it's build quality & safety. Also ride quality might be bumpy, unless fully loaded, due to its hard suspension setup.

Hyundai Elite i20: Truly premium! Would have gone for it eyes closed had I considered a diesel car. Only but biggest downside is it's underpowered petrol engine!

Honda Jazz: Currently almost frozen on the Jazz. It once again like Baleno, checks all my requirements with a better build, plus has gem of an engine from Honda.

Need expert opinion & help from TAI before I finalize the buy.

Thanks in advance..

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Premium Hatchback - Jazz vs. others

I dont think you have taken a td of the jazz since you mentioned it as a gem. For city driving it is a strict no unless you are OK with the terrible low end it offers. For highway it would have been ok.

I didn't like the suspension and the build quality of the baleno and if you have the budget get the top end elite i20 asta. The i20's engine isnt great either and the engine will strain even with 3 people on a uphill but 6 airbags plus avn system plus the better build quality makes it the best contender. You can get discounts on the i20 which will make the deal even sweeter.

Last edited:
Re: Premium Hatchback - Jazz vs. others

As you have mentioned interest in compact sedan. Why not look at the Zest and Aspire. They are very vfm with decent quality. You can get amazing discounts as well. If premium hatchback is that all you want my pick is i20 or baleno depends on your priorities.

Why don't you consider the ford Figo and fiat avventura and fiat urban cross . Even the ford ecosport would be a great choice . Jazz is spacious but it's diesel engine is not very refined .

Keeping the looks aside, how would the Etios Cross fare in this setup ? I meant the 1.5 Petrol version.

I would think it is very comfortable inside, at par with the Jazz (except the boot space). The 90ps , 132NM petrol would be much better than equivalent competition, as per reviews it has great driveability, backed by Toyota's reputed service and lower maintenance costs. The Etios Cross also has a short turning radius of 4.8m, lower than the competition, almost at par with the Micra, a great attribute for the city and cramped parking spaces in housing societies.
On the safety front, its got ABS+EBD, dual Airbags, as well as properly visible structural cross members in the engine bay. Rated 4-stars by GNCAP.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my car from a 2012 Alto K-10. Since 90% of my drive is in Bangalore city, I'm inclined towards a premium hatchback or a compact sedan than going for a full length sedan.

My top priorities:
1. Good drivability (Decent performance & good ride quality)
2. Adequate space & comfort for 3 adults in the rear (This is must for my quarterly family outing!)
3. Good FE & low maintenance (shouldn't be a pocket burner)

Considering-
Maruti Baleno: Checks all my requirements easily but I'm little skeptikal about it's build quality & safety. Also ride quality might be bumpy, unless fully loaded, due to its hard suspension setup.

Hyundai Elite i20: Truly premium! Would have gone for it eyes closed had I considered a diesel car. Only but biggest downside is it's underpowered petrol engine!

Honda Jazz: Currently almost frozen on the Jazz. It once again like Baleno, checks all my requirements with a better build, plus has gem of an engine from Honda.

Need expert opinion & help from TAI before I finalize the buy.

Thanks in advance..
You can go ahead with Jazz if you opt for petrol version.

Honda jazz will be the best option in petrol for both highway and city out of ur choices. first time hearing like honda jazz is ok highway car[frustration]. It is an absolute gem of a car in highway. Little bad though in city due to low end .But neither elitei20 is superior in that case.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I haven't taken the td of jazz on open roads. The city drive was terrible and other members said it's good on highways just like you said. So on that context I said it would have been ok for highway. I did mention the limitations of i20 as well but as a overall package it's the best I segment.

Jazz is way ahead of swift and elite i20. the only negatives are a relatively low weak end. it gets worse on inclines with full load of passengers. you need to rev a that bit hard to get it moving, which results in low FE in B2B traffic. once you get moving, it's a different league compared to swift and i20.

Few information missing (like budget, usage pattern, etc)

Every car has it's own pros and cons, from your list of choices Jazz ticks most of the boxes. As a overall package it's a decent choice. Having driven few thousand kms I would say take TD twice (or thrice) in various road & load conditions. If you are satisfied with the performance of 1.2L gasoline engine, go ahead with blind eyes.

If you are interested towards Diesel, give a thought for Figo / Aspire. That's a perfect package.

kkn13

Suspended
I dont think you have taken a td of the jazz since you mentioned it as a gem. For city driving it is a strict no unless you are OK with the terrible low end it offers. For highway it would have been ok.

I didn't like the suspension and the build quality of the baleno and if you have the budget get the top end elite i20 asta. The i20's engine isnt great either and the engine will strain even with 3 people on a uphill but 6 airbags plus avn system plus the better build quality makes it the best contender. You can get discounts on the i20 which will make the deal even sweeter.
I haven't taken the td of jazz on open roads. The city drive was terrible and other members said it's good on highways just like you said. So on that context I said it would have been ok for highway. I did mention the limitations of i20 as well but as a overall package it's the best I segment.
Jazz is way ahead of swift and elite i20. the only negatives are a relatively low weak end. it gets worse on inclines with full load of passengers. you need to rev a that bit hard to get it moving, which results in low FE in B2B traffic. once you get moving, it's a different league compared to swift and i20.
Jazz CVT solves these problems, 1.2 is no beast but its fairly rev happy and the CVT box solves the low end sluggishness
Elite i20 is even more sluggish frankly speaking and steering isnt very lively

PS-wait for WR-V if you want slighly compact SUV-ish looks etc
seating position will be a bit higher

Top Bottom