Which Second Car: New or Used?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This is my second post. So, I am a full time student. My family owns a Swift Dzire( which I drive). I am thinking of buying a second car as well. We want a convenient hatchback, mostly for city use. This is because my mother is reluctant to drive our present car. So, I think an automatic would be good as it will give my mother confidence to drive too.

I am confused on which car to buy. After going through the different threads here, I am considering buying the nano xta. I would like to spend as little as possible. But I wouldn't mind spending some more to get a more VFM vehicle.

I generally don't like going for pre owned cars. I prefer to get a new car. But I am not totally against pre owned vehicles.

I would also be using the new car for short runs.What cars do you suggest for me to consider and whether I should go for a pre owned one?

Re: Which second car, new or used?

I would also be using the new car for short runs.What cars do you suggest for me to consider and whether I should go for a pre owned one?
Hello Deva

In the used car market, you will mainly find i10 and A-Star as automatic hatchbacks. Unless you get an excellent condition car, with less than 30k kms or so, then it makes some sense. Avoid highly used automatic cars.

In case of new cars, you can consider Nano and Alto K10. Nano would be more budget friendly, but overall I feel Alto K10 to be more value for money. Take a test drive of Alto K10 AMT, it has a very good engine (more than capable to potter around town) and coupled with compact dimensions and auto transmission, it would be one heck of an effortless drive. But I won't say that Nano is a bad choice. If you can post on-road price difference between the two, then I think we will be able to suggest better. If the difference is less than 1 Lac, I will go with the Alto K10.

Do keep us updated on the developments.

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Tiagi xb petrol. Nothing would beat that for your requirement. And ride quality is amazing.
I think it would go out of budget. Not this variant. But I don't like going for the base variant, especially since it has many features lacking.

If the difference is less than 1 Lac, I will go with the Alto K10.
Thank you Alpha for your valuable suggestions [:)]. I don't have the exact on road prices for these cars.

But the ex showroom price is 330,000 for nano xta. So that would mean, somewhere around 370,000 on road. For the alto k10 vxi ags, it is 430,000 ex-showroom. So somewhere around 475000 I think. I am not sure about these numbers, but most probably, the difference would be around just 1 lakh. That would mean, k10 would be better right.

Also, are there any other vehicles I should be considering.

Thanks in advance,
Deva

Last edited:
That would mean, k10 would be better right.

Also, are there any other vehicles I should be considering.

Thanks in advance,
Deva
It would be better to factor in the discounts as well for both the choices. Generally, a 1 Lac price difference completely justifies Alto K10 over Nano. Much better engine (67 vs 37 bhp), better looking, better road presence, better handling, proven track record, better after sales, much better resale and more importantly a better 'feeling' car (better space as well?).

If we go up the price range, Celerio AMT is another good option. Same engine packed in better looking materials (inside and outside) for a price premium of around 75-80k I think. But as you said you want to keep the price low, Alto K10 offers most bang for the buck since price of Celerio AMT will come very close to some premium manual hatchbacks out there. You can also consider Kwid AMT, close to 5 Lac for a very radical design but Renault after sales is a gamble. It is worth checking out as it appears to be the closest and true alternative to Alto K10 AMT.

If your mother is apprehensive of driving Dzire due to its size, you may consider manual hatchbacks as well.

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:
It would be better to factor in the discounts as well for both the choices. Generally, a 1 Lac price difference completely justifies Alto K10 over Nano. Much better engine (67 vs 37 bhp), better looking, better road presence, better handling, proven track record, better after sales, much better resale and more importantly a better 'feeling' car (better space as well?).

If we go up the price range, Celerio AMT is another good option. Same engine packed in better looking materials (inside and outside) for a price premium of around 75-80k I think. But as you said you want to keep the price low, Alto K10 offers most bang for the buck since price of Celerio AMT will come very close to some premium manual hatchbacks out there. You can also consider Kwid AMT, close to 5 Lac for a very radical design but Renault after sales is a gamble. It is worth checking out as it appears to be the closest and true alternative to Alto K10 AMT.

If your mother is apprehensive of driving Dzire due to its size, you may consider manual hatchbacks as well.

Regards,
Alpha
I agree with all of your points except space. Alto doesn't hold a candle in front of nano in terms of space . I own both. For Deva my suggestion will be alto k10 amt until you are on a strict budget

Thread Starter #8

Regards,
Alpha
Yes. That is the reason. The size and the driving position. She is not as tall as me. So it is a bit difficult. She doesn't mind it if it is a manual as long as it is easy to handle. I was not very supportive initially of buying a car as our present car itself does not run very much. She had said that the WagonR seating position is comfortable. What about that?

I agree with all of your points except space. Alto doesn't hold a candle in front of nano in terms of space . I own both. For Deva my suggestion will be alto k10 amt until you are on a strict budget
Budget. In this price range, a lakh there or here means an entirely different car...its confusing. 50,000 more on ex showroom price from k10 amt and you get wagonR amt. But I don't want to spend that much...

Hello Everyone,

This is my second post. So, I am a full time student. My family owns a Swift Dzire( which I drive). I am thinking of buying a second car as well. We want a convenient hatchback, mostly for city use. This is because my mother is reluctant to drive our present car. So, I think an automatic would be good as it will give my mother confidence to drive too.

I am confused on which car to buy. After going through the different threads here, I am considering buying the nano xta. I would like to spend as little as possible. But I wouldn't mind spending some more to get a more VFM vehicle.

I generally don't like going for pre owned cars. I prefer to get a new car. But I am not totally against pre owned vehicles.

Hi @Deva, welcome to TAI, let me put a more practical angle to your post, as you live in TVM, which is full of hill's like steep inclines & dips (I've been there many times), you will have to practice & perfect the art of negotiating these in an AMT, using both the Auto & Manual mode, and as you want your mother to also use this car, do take her along for the Test Drives.

Seniors in the family will find the rear seat of the Alto very cramped, as well as the ingress & egress, which as @Dr Rishab has rightly pointed out the Nano is way too comfortable for both front & rear passengers, I can vouch for the same, as both me & my wife are in mid 50's and thoroughly enjoy the Nano XTA which we bought a couple of months back, the story here, http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-mountain-goat-dazzle-blue-tata-nano-xta.html

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #10
Hi @Deva, welcome to TAI, let me put a more practical angle to your post, as you live in TVM, which is full of hill's like steep inclines & dips (I've been there many times)
Yes sir, I live in thiruvananthapuram. But not having driven anywhere else, I never found these inclines as difficult as I had to learn driving here itself.

Seniors in the family will find the rear seat of the Alto very cramped, as well as the ingress & egress
I agree sir. I have felt it difficult for three people to sit in the rear seat of the k10. But we don't usually have seniors along with us. I will show this thread to my mother and let her decide. Anyway, it is her decision.

I also read about your nimble mountain goat sir. Will show that to my mother too.

Thank you,
Devarsh

Top Bottom