Fiat Punto vs Maruti Swift Diesel?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Every one,

I am new here, I'm planning to buy a new car but little bit confused between punto and swift.
So could you please suggest , which one is best?

Re: Punto vs swift disel

Hi Every one,

I am new here, I'm planning to buy a new car but little bit confused between punto and swift.
Both car has its positives and negatives. The new generation swift is about to launch. So i don't feel its a wise decision to go for swift at this moment. But if you are too much inclined towards Maruti, better go for Baleno. Baleno has everything that swift has, plus you will get space and more features.

But if you want a safer and solid built car, Punto should be your choice. Punto has more space and riding quality is excellent. Only problem I see is poor ergonomics and also Fiat service experience is not so good. But at this moment i would say Punto should be your choice.

Why don't you consider Figo? Its a pocket rocket and has a solid build quality too. In fact its the best diesel motor to own under 10 lacs.

Hi Every one,

Hello anandr0311

It would be better if you can post your requirements in detail. Check the format given in this thread -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-shopper/1298-template-car-buying-queries-must-read.html

For your budget, other than those which you have listed, Polo TDI, Figo, Grand i10 and Liva are the cars to check out. Elite i20, Jazz and Baleno may overshoot your budget but are worth considering.

Regards,
Alpha

Both car has its positives and negatives. The new generation swift is about to launch. So i don't feel its a wise decision to go for swift at this moment. But if you are too much inclined towards Maruti, better go for Baleno. Baleno has everything that swift has, plus you will get space and more features.

But if you want a safer and solid built car, Punto should be your choice. Punto has more space and riding quality is excellent. Only problem I see is poor ergonomics and also Fiat service experience is not so good. But at this moment i would say Punto should be your choice.

Why don't you consider Figo? Its a pocket rocket and has a solid build quality too. In fact its the best diesel motor to own under 10 lacs.
I have owned a Linea, which is quite similar to Punto in terms of driver seat ergonomics, and I havent had any issues with respect to ergonomics. That is a very subjective aspect, unless, there is something fundamentally wrong with the cockpit design, which there isn't in case of Fiats.
That said, the Figo is probably the better bet in terms of available safety features, since they have now added 6 airbags as optional feature from Titanium trim onwards.

swift- wait for the new one...current model is too aged and almost every street has ten...cramped and uncomfortable seats..wait for new one

punto: sales thud..heard that fiat did not product one car in december 2016...

i suggest you look at the sedan market..lot of options are there and plus a decent boot space.

Punto has more space
Seriously? [roll]
Having owned Linea (which is very much similar to Punto) for over couple of years, I never knew it had more space (especially on the rear)
OTOH completed a two day trip on Swift last week and I felt the rear space is better than Linea / Punto (with front seat positioned for 6 footer)

It totally depends on which PUNTO variant you consider for your needs. The 90HP top end is anytime better that SWIFT. Built quality cannot be compared with SWIFT as PUNTO wins by much marginal difference. Paint quality, interior material quality is way much better and feel upmarket in PUNTO.

A better advantage of PUNTO EVO 90HP is now it comes with reverse cam + AV system as standard. The rugged 16" alloys with 195 width tyre gives PUNTO a dynamic look.

Although I like SWIFT for its style but now it is very old to the current market with current generation features and looks.

Considering Baleno, it make sense to buy a top end only as its a premium car [as per Maruti, so they set up NEXA for premium cars segment]. So if you buy a lower variant in Baleno it would be like buying a premium car with non premium features.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the response.

Even I thought the same , new swift is going to release. But Punto service cost is costly right.
That is the reason , i am getting confused.

Even I thought the same , new swift is going to release. But Punto service cost is costly right.
The fate of FIAT cars in India is still unknown, no new of new launches in-spite of its pathetic M-O-M sales figures.

Just for your information - Punto is stopped in Europe and has a replacement planned in May 2017.

Not sure what are FIAT India plans for the current Gen Punto?

Figo has everything going for it especially Titanium with 6 airbags option. It's safe, fast and fun. It's got lot of space and practical. It's cheapest of the hatches to maintain.

Buy the Punto Evo which now comes with the 90 HP engine as standard. The top end is the best bet that comes with all the safety features as well.

Buy swift only if you want better ASS coverage, Maruti badge, better FE and a lot better resale. As a product a Punto will trump a Swift anyday and its not expensive to maintain as well. Expensive maintenace is synonymous with VAG and Hyundai. So with Punto you get European traits (like build quality, ride quality, handling, performance etc) and low maintenance, something not found in the market.

kkn13

Suspended
Figo or Swift or Baleno hands down
Maybe even see Ignis

Fiat is a no-no especially since Tata is incharge of after sales and they didnt have a showroom in Mumbai for 2.5 years[shock]
That shows their lack of seriousness for our market
They have no new proper launches and are merely re-releasing cars like Urban Cross etc
Their engines are gems but they are available in other cars in the market

Ford on the other hand is very aggressive off late and seem serious about our market,check it out imho

Fiat is a no-no especially since Tata is incharge of after sales
It seems you tried to post this post 3 years back but it appeared on TAI this year.

they didnt have a showroom in Mumbai for 2.5 years[shock]
Of late they started one at Worli.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

That is the reason , i am getting confused.
Punto is a great car ...I can say it coz I have been using my current car since 2011 (Emotion 1.3 multijet) and before that had a Emotion (1.2 petrol) coz in this segment this car is just awesome. Loaded with features, strong build quality, very comfortable and gives you full control on the road even at high speeds with good manoeuvring as well, aggressive looks.Fuel efficiency is approx. 20-21Kmpl for diesel and 14-15kmpl for petrol. Above all would like to comment on the maintenance cost which has been only on tyres and battery in my current car since I have run approx.65K kms and don't even remember if I have done any other expense other than regular service cost.

Top Bottom