Renault Kwid 1.0 or Tata Tiago XM Petrol

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am in the market to buy a hatch under 5 lakhs OTR Bangalore. My main uses are:

1)Daily office commute of 20 kms(round trip).
2)Occasional weekend getaways with family(4 adults + 1 baby).

I have done TD of Kwid (1.0 MT), Baleno(out of budget) and the Tiago Petrol.
Kwid RXT(O) 1.0 fits perfectly into my budget(5.18 OTR Bangalore).
So does Tiago XM Petrol(5.16 OTR bangalore and 5.32 OTR with airbags).

I really liked both Kwid and Tiago TDs. Both of them are fast, peppy and good to drive. Both have good space inside and a good boot space.
Featurewise compared to Tiago, Kwid will have the following as extra:
1)One driver airbag(I can go for 2 Airbags option in Tiago, costs 14k extra)
2)Fog lamps.
3)300 ltrs boot space(242 ltrs in Tiago).
4)Music system with navigation.

But Tiago has more power (84 BHP compared to 67 BHP of Kwid) and feels more solid with the added weight. Kwid weighs around 630 kgs whereas Tiago weighs 930 kgs, so structural stability is also a concern with Kwid.

I am unable to find any long term review for both the cars with real world fuel efficiencies.
I would appreciate if anyone can provide an unbiased suggestion on which car to pick.

Regards,
rajeevyes

Re: Kwid 1.0 or Tiago XM Petrol

Hello Everyone,
I am in the market to buy a hatch under 5 lakhs OTR Bangalore. My main uses are:

1)Daily office commute of 20 kms(round trip).
2)Occasional weekend getaways with family(4 adults + 1 baby).

I have done TD of Kwid (1.0 MT), Baleno(out of budget) and the Tiago Petrol.
Kwid RXT(O) 1.0 fits perfectly into my budget(5.18 OTR Bangalore).
So does Tiago XM Petrol(5.16 OTR bangalore and 5.32 OTR with airbags).

I really liked both Kwid and Tiago TDs. Both of them are fast, peppy and good to drive. Both have good space inside and a good boot space.
Featurewise compared to Tiago, Kwid will have the following as extra:
1)One driver airbag(I can go for 2 Airbags option in Tiago, costs 14k extra)
2)Fog lamps.
3)300 ltrs boot space(242 ltrs in Tiago).
4)Music system with navigation.

But Tiago has more power (84 BHP compared to 67 BHP of Kwid) and feels more solid with the added weight. Kwid weighs around 630 kgs whereas Tiago weighs 930 kgs, so structural stability is also a concern with Kwid.

I am unable to find any long term review for both the cars with real world fuel efficiencies.
I would appreciate if anyone can provide an unbiased suggestion on which car to pick.

Regards,
rajeevyes
Kwid is not even in Tiago's segment. I would suggest extend budget little bit and get xt(o) in Tiago, you will get an awesome music system and safety features. Tiago can be compared to Grand i10/Celerio/Swift IMHO. Personally I don't like Kwid. The passenger space is compromised for boot space. side profile is awkward. Acres of (cheap)plastics on the dashboard. Tiago xt(o) would be a loaded model and is a substantially bigger car. But Kwid would be better only if you need FE. Tiago for every single thing other than that. It has a segment defining ride quality. I am an owner of Tiago xz (P) and am really satisfied till now.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Buddy, Safety being my main aim, I will opt for Tiago over Kwid. Apart from that be informed that Kwid has failed the crash testing. Fog lamps and music system can be added later. Suggest you not to overlook the safety over cosmetic features for couple of bucks buddy.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

Kwid is not even in Tiago's segment. I would suggest extend budget little bit and get xt(o) in Tiago, you will get an awesome music system and safety features. Tiago can be compared to Grand i10/Celerio/Swift IMHO. Personally I don't like Kwid. The passenger space is compromised for boot space. side profile is awkward. Acres of (cheap)plastics on the dashboard. Tiago xt(o) would be a loaded model and is a substantially bigger car. But Kwid would be better only if you need FE. Tiago for every single thing other than that. It has a segment defining ride quality. I am an owner of Tiago xz (P) and am really satisfied till now.
Thanks Abhisek, I am somehow leaning towards Tiago. XT(O) would be slightly out of budget. But will consider as EMI should not be too high for 30k-40k price increase.
What is the realworld FE you are getting in city and highway?
Also dealer says all optional variants have high wait period(4-6 months) and pushing me to go for variant without airbags. Is that true?

Buddy, Safety being my main aim, I will opt for Tiago over Kwid. Apart from that be informed that Kwid has failed the crash testing. Fog lamps and music system can be added later. Suggest you not to overlook the safety over cosmetic features for couple of bucks buddy.

Regards

Akash

Sure Akash! will go for Tiago as it seems to have better structural stability compared to Kwid.
Any idea about Tiago crash tests? How did it fare?

Regards,
Rajeev

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Sure Akash! will go for Tiago as it seems to have better structural stability compared to Kwid.
Hi Rajeev, I am looking for the video but in meantime you may click on this link to get a fair idea of Tiago's built quality: Pics

Regards

Akash

Regards

Akash
Bro you stole my words.
100% agreed with you.

Bro you can search for Prabhagar Bro's Ownership Review, its the best ownership review of Tiago I have read till now. He regularly updates it with FE and all other data.

Hi Rajeev,
I haven't driven or even seen the interiors of Kwid but I can vouch for Tiago's awesome interiors over any car south of 5L. Adding to the safer cabin and side impact bars, the case for Tiago only strengthens further. I am glad you wanted the Optional variant. The additional 14K you will pay is not only for the air bags, you also get the following features which is bang for every buck:
- Height adjustable driver seat
- Driver seat belt reminder
- Seat belt pre-tensioners & load limiters
- Adjustable front head rests
- XZ's premium seat fabric
- XZ's instrument cluster (not listed in website but have seen in delivered cars)

On the mileage front, I always calculate tank full to tank full methods, filled from the same HP COCO fuel station for the past 4 months and got 15 to 17 kmpl. My running is around 30% city and 70% dual carriage ways, all being short runs less than 100 km per trip. On a proper highway run with tank full method, Tiago is sure to cross 20 kmpl with decent driving.

Here is a user review of XE Optional variant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilay2bKnjPc

Last edited:

Thanks Abhisek, I am somehow leaning towards Tiago. XT(O) would be slightly out of budget. But will consider as EMI should not be too high for 30k-40k price increase.
What is the realworld FE you are getting in city and highway?
Also dealer says all optional variants have high wait period(4-6 months) and pushing me to go for variant without airbags. Is that true?

Regards,
Rajeev
I know crash tests have not been performed on Tiago but body feels solid. I have seen lot of accident pics of Tiago and from pics it looks structurally strong and airbags worked in all big accidents.

Dealers are scaring people unnecessarily. In 14k you're getting not only airbags but many other things in (o) models as Prabhagar mentioned. Also you get same instrument cluster in (o) models as xz and this is a big plus for me as it shows real time fe which all non-o models except xz miss.. And xt has Harman music system, lot of convenience features over xm.

Coming to your question Tiago is fuel efficient when compared to other 1.2L cars. It is very fuel efficient on highways but an average petrol car in city. Personally my lifetime mid fe is 15kmpl. Should be around 13-13.5kmpl I am yet to correctly measure. On highways you can expect 20kmpl real world easily.

I would suggest trying different dealers. My experience was good with KHT Brookefield. I'm sure you'll get within 45 days any o model. Seems like dealer margin is lesser so they are discouraging. KHT told me just 1 week more for o models.

Last edited:
Thanks Gautam, Abhishek and Prabhagar, will certainly push the dealer to provide the delivery sooner.
Thanks Akash for the crash pics, really solid vehicle.
congrats on your choice. keep updating the onwership as you get the car. today had a highway tussle with a tiago with me on my pals rs200, the car is so quick, I backed off when i saw my ancestors close to my helmet

Thread Starter #11
Hi All,
There has been lot of changes since i started this thread. My family was not convinced on Tata's long term reliability and aging( i have seen couple of 2 year old Tata Manza's that look like 5 year old vehicles). Kwid ruled out due to poor safety features.
I might book Baleno(Sigma variant) though its a stretch from the 5 lakh budget i have. So saving money now and also looking out for new launches.
Wait goes on.

i have seen couple of 2 year old Tata Manza's that look like 5 year old vehicles.
I think it all boils down to how one maintains the car. I had Manza for 5 years, used to wax once in 6 months, when I sold it, it was still looking at good as new.
Reliability, I guess now they have taken testing and Customer Feedback quite seriously and are working hard to reduce niggles. Engine wise, yes long-term reliability is still unknown.

kkn13

Suspended
Hi All,
There has been lot of changes since i started this thread. My family was not convinced on Tata's long term reliability and aging( i have seen couple of 2 year old Tata Manza's that look like 5 year old vehicles). Kwid ruled out due to poor safety features.
I might book Baleno(Sigma variant) though its a stretch from the 5 lakh budget i have. So saving money now and also looking out for new launches.
Wait goes on.
This is a good call imho
Kwid is a capable vehicle but lacks alot of things
Tiago is too new a product to recommend even if it looks vfm on paper, lacks rear legroom and underthigh, iffy resale and after sales. Going by the Zest onwards, its surely improved but still a long way to go
Baleno is a tried and tested platform and the sales figures speak for itself, legroom and rear seats are best in class, engine is refined and very much proven, resale is good too. Some people are concerned with its weight but frankly its the chassis design etc that matters more, in fact the Japanese Baleno is manufactured in India itself and exported
Figo is also worth checking out if you want another vfm beast especially the diesel engine, discounts are excellent too

Thread Starter #14
:tongue:
This is a good call imho
Kwid is a capable vehicle but lacks alot of things
Tiago is too new a product to recommend even if it looks vfm on paper, lacks rear legroom and underthigh, iffy resale and after sales. Going by the Zest onwards, its surely improved but still a long way to go
Baleno is a tried and tested platform and the sales figures speak for itself, legroom and rear seats are best in class, engine is refined and very much proven, resale is good too. Some people are concerned with its weight but frankly its the chassis design etc that matters more, in fact the Japanese Baleno is manufactured in India itself and exported
Figo is also worth checking out if you want another vfm beast especially the diesel engine, discounts are excellent too
Figo diesel is really tempting but let me do my little bit to the environment by opting for a petrol vehicle :tongue:

^^ I have driven both Kwid and Tiago. And I just want to pitch in here with my suggestion!

Go for Tiago!

It is awesome, VFM, loaded with features and man, that Harman audio system! I still regret for missing Zest and Tiago made me get jealous even more. All cars have their fair share of troubles and if I have to weigh between these two, Kwid loses out on more things than Tiago.

Where Kwid shines is, its looks? (Different views) which is much better compared to Alto. But Tiago beats it upside down and it is the BEST economic petrol hatch right now for less than 6L! If I were in market for one, I would get top variant of Tiago without blinking my eye.

Top Bottom