Maruti Suzuki Baleno vs Volkswagen Polo

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

This is Magesh and my first post..

I need some advice to decide on my new car purchase. My usage will be around 500-700km per month. Occasional highway trip (Yearly 2-3 times, 700 Kms). I have currently owned Hyundai i10 (2010). I prefer a car with good ride quality and with safety features MUST and good boot space. My Budget is 8 Lakhs.

I have narrowed down to the following two models.

1. Suzuki Baleno Delta/Zeta (Petrol)
2. Polo 1.2 Highline

I have gone through a lot of reviews and youtube videos. But need input from the owners who have had this car for a while. Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Magesh

Hi,

2. Polo 1.2 Highline

Magesh
Polo is a better car any day compare to Baleno. But service cost will be on the higher side and spare part availability may be a bit of hurdle. But in metros these wont be an issue.

I own a Baleno for last 14 months. Everything is good except the build quality and stiff ride. If you plan to sell your car in near future Baleno can fetch you more than Polo. But for long run Polo should be your pick.

I would also like to suggest you to check the Figo TCDI. It has the best safety feature under 10 lacs, has enough power and build quality is also good.

Your usage pattern makes petrol a better choice. The Polo 1.2 in general is a great product that has impeccable quality inside out but lacks in rear space and performance when compared to the Baleno petrol. Also the city ride would be better in Polo because of softer suspenion setup and the Baleno should give you a marginally better ride at highway speeds.

Why dont you get the Liva or the Figo also in the contention? Their petrol units are also not a proper performer but are more affordable than the Polo.

All the above mentioned cars come with ABS and airbags but Polo is better built car here. But you need to be ready with the segment topping annual service costs associated with VAG. You should expect anywhere between 8-9k/annum for Polo 1.2. Also their spare parts are quite expensive as well.

Engine wise the best of the lot in the Suzuki K12 that has great performance and FE, that can be attributed to the light weight of the car.

Last edited:
Hello Mageshs

Being an owner of Baleno Alpha from the past year, my opinion might seem titled towards it but I will try my best to put down a fair view on both these cars.

Exterior design is subjective, but Polo has a timeless design. You may find some haters of Baleno for its design, but won't find any for Polo. Paint quality as well as build quality is better on Polo. Interior quality as well as design is better in Polo, but Baleno is better equipped with features and feels more value for money. Rear space is much better in Baleno (actually it is a weak point in Polo for many) and boot space is also better. It has a high and narrow loading point though, so do check out on that personally. Ergonomics were better in Baleno, for me, as the pedals and gear lever were better positioned plus I found the front seats to be healthy on side bolstering as well as under thigh support. Visibility is sort of equal-equal, though the Baleno's narrow viewibg area from the titled front windsheild can tilt the scales in favour of Polo. Coming to the engines, Baleno is the clear winner here. It is peppy, efficient and frugal as well. Low end torque is average but I'm sure no other car from this segment would be considerably better. Cruising at 100 kmph on top gear, it feels refined as hell with negligible noise coming from the engine. Polo's petrol heart is a negative point for it. Comfort wise, Polo would fare better, not because of seat cushioning but because of a better ride at low speeds. At high speeds, Baleno would perform better if there are minimal undulations. For the suspension, I will give it to the German anyway. Handling is also equal-equal on both the choices, and an ex-i10 owner would be mighty impressed I bet. Maintenance would be a breeze for Maruti and it has a clear edge above Polo in this aspect.

So, to sum it up, product wise Polo is better but you won't get the piece of mind of a Maruti product. If your requirement is space and features, then Baleno makes more sense. Diesel Polo is a great engine and would win over Baleno Petrol/Diesel for its sheer fun factor (esp. when you know you have ample horses in reserve when the going gets tough [lol]). It takes out one negative from the product, and you are left with expensive maintenance and less space only. If you're able to live with that for the better quality you'll enjoy for years to come, then Polo is the best bet. You will be able to get discounts on Polo as well, so I would suggest you to stretch and pick a Polo Diesel Comfortline.

Other than these, you can consider Jazz and Elite i20. Jazz has a good petrol engine (comparable to Baleno, better than Polo) with excellent space and sorted ride quality. Elite i20 is a good balance between Baleno and Polo, as it provides Polo-like quality with Baleno-like maintenance but the petrol engine is dull (comparable to Polo).

If it is going to be Petrol, Jazz/Baleno > Elite i20 > Polo.
If it is going to be Diesel, Polo > Elite i20 > Baleno/Jazz.

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:
Hi,

This is Magesh and my first post..

I need some advice to decide on my new car purchase. My usage will be around 500-700km per month. Occasional highway trip (Yearly 2-3 times, 700 Kms). I have currently owned Hyundai i10 (2010). I prefer a car with good ride quality and with safety features MUST and good boot space. My Budget is 8 Lakhs.

2. Polo 1.2 Highline

I have gone through a lot of reviews and youtube videos. But need input from the owners who have had this car for a while. Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Magesh
Owning a VW Polo 1.2 petrol since one year and have done 15,600 kilometers till date.

Service bill: INR 6,200 at 15,000 kilometer service.
Spares are really costly and if you allow them to do everything in the service, then your bill will be close to 8-10k easily.

If you need space, better driver's seat, better FE, better performance - Baleno is the car to go for
If you need better build, better interior quality, better low end and hence more comfortable city drive and very well thought out set of features - Polo is the car to look for

Go and TD both, then take your call. VW dealers normally offer good discounts and you may end up getting a Polo Highline at way lower than Baleno. Where Polo feels special is the interior quality. Additionally, if you love customization - then Polo is the car to go for.

Rest, I will also resonate with that Alpha has suggested, look at i20 and you will have to make the least number of compromises. It has better seats than Baleno and a Polo rivaling build quality.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Hello,

Somehow not liking the Hyundai's steering, it too lite for me. I have driven my cousin's I20 Petrol and felt the same in his EPS.
Also we have 2 adults and 2 younger Kids, so the space int he back seat also important. Am going to keep the car for next 5-7 years for sure.

Will test drive Figo/Liva also and see.

You mentioned Safety features. The Figo/Aspire now come with 6 airbags as optional in the Titanium variant itself (24K extra), and even the Titanium plus variant with 6 airbags standard is not expensive as such! Also, more spacious than the Polo from a rear seat perspective.

Since your most drive way will be CITY [that too in Bengaluru traffic] so my suggestion is to think about Auto-Transmission.

Also you said the monthly run wouldn't be more than 700 kms approx. then petrol AT makes sense. SO if you think about it then very less option left with you, out of which FIGO 1.5 AT Titanium will be fun to drive and comes with 6 airbags and most important Electronic stability control.

Polo is a very good car, but in case of GT or Diesel variant.

If you consider Baleno for space then I would say go for it, as no car in this segment has that space.

My Choice will be FIGO 1.5 AT Titanium.

Top Bottom