Buying a Pre-owned Maruti Zen (2000 - 2003 Model): Need Suggestions

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

As all might know i previously had a maruti ZEN 2001 Model LX California gold, Due to some reason we had to sell him, Am currently having an thought on buying a preowned maruti zen between 2000-2003 Specifically the model that i had, and restore it and make it as my car and use it. Any suggestion?

Colour Preference:
1.Silver
2.California Gold (the colour that i had)

these 2 are the colour that i prefer.

Variant LX/VX/LXi/VXi

Kindly suggest me whether i should processed it getting one or should i think twice? And if i had to buy, help me in getting a well maintained a car.

Regards,

FordFiesta1.6

I would discourage you,(i know what it means buying a old car and maintaining it will be -it's lot of passion and fun).The vehicle value will deteriorate always,and also even though Maruti spares are available,Maruti Suzuki itself is concentrating more on electronic side(Mechatronics),so models like Zen which have limited mechanical components ,will find difficulty in getting spares like even steering rods etc.

Thread Starter #3
I would discourage you,(i know what it means buying a old car and maintaining it will be -it's lot of passion and fun).The vehicle value will deteriorate always,and also even though Maruti spares are available,Maruti Suzuki itself is concentrating more on electronic side(Mechatronics),so models like Zen which have limited mechanical components ,will find difficulty in getting spares like even steering rods etc.
So u mean it's better to buy new cars than getting a used car, so you mean it's best to stop myself from getting Zen.

Also the reason you said was acceptable, and I don't believe my family would allow be buying a Zen again on 10℅ chance so not sure either, so I'll end up not buying the car.

Zen is a gem of cars, its truly drivers car, who drives zen can not forget it. Zen spares are easily available. Not complicated mechanics easy to troubleshoot. Buy zen without body rust that's it. it is build to last build to drive.

-suryaputhra

@ FordFiesta1.6
The original Jelly Bean Zen was a good driver's car at THAT time. It is NOT worth the efforts NOW. Reasons:

1. In the year 2000, only Zen, Santro, Matiz, Uno & Indica were the available hatchbacks, above M-800. Lot many safe and fun cars are available now.
  2. THAT era Zen weighed 760 kg (40kg lighter than my Matiz and how I hated Maruti for that).
  3. Zen took around 16 seconds for 0-100 kph. Many other cars can do it now. Strictly speaking it is not safe to push any light weight hatchback with so many heavy weights are around in traffic. They sway when a biggie passes them.
  4. Zen had a braking distance of more than 50m for 100-0 khp. My Matiz was better there. Note: Somewhere I read Maruti A-Star has superb braking performance. So, do not follow the little champ too close.
  5. Comfort offered by new Gen cars is much better than what was designed in 2000. See, my ooooold Nokia 5800XM was a Flagship phone, when launched at Rs 18,000/-. A Redmi costs less than 7K and what a performance it gives. Latest designs and tech do have some advantages. I guess you get the drift, now, no ?
I am sorry to discourage you.

Last edited:

Top Bottom