Help Buying a Used Car For Rs.1.5 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI ,
I am unsure where to ask this so please bear with me. Anyway I am a student and i want to buy a car under 1.5 lakhs . My choices are diesel or cng cars . And i would opt for a old powerful and fully loaded car then a low end new car . For eg nhc , Octavia (i love this car but i hear it's not reliable) , lancer . Like i love sedans please help me out . I have driven city zx 2006 cng and loved it even done a trip to Pune and back on it , and ive driven swift dzire diesel , loved the engine but didnt find the car as comfortable as city . And what are some nice sources to buy used car ,what should i check out when i go take a test drive of a used car

Re: Need Help buying used car

Hello TAI ,
I am unsure where to ask this so please bear with me. Anyway I am a student and i want to buy a car under 1.5 lakhs . My choices are diesel or cng cars . And i would opt for a old powerful and fully loaded car then a low end new car . For eg nhc , Octavia (i love this car but i hear it's not reliable) , lancer . Like i love sedans please help me out . I have driven city zx 2006 cng and loved it even done a trip to Pune and back on it , and ive driven swift dzire diesel , loved the engine but didnt find the car as comfortable as city . And what are some nice sources to buy used car ,what should i check out when i go take a test drive of a used car
increase your budget slightly and get a honda city or even a civic. civic has low resale compared to city. have a look at esteem. best to give skoda a miss as they are less realible.

Thread Starter #3
Ya im ready for a civic but what about spares will I get it..and is running it on cng justice for the vtech engine?

Anyone here who will help me?

Hello,

I think, with your budget and a sedan in mind, you are better off with petrol cars. You'll find diesel cars but they will be high on ODO hence most of the parts will be in bad condition.

Patrol Cars that are reliable and easy to maintain -

For budget 1-2 lakhs:
Maruti Esteem
Honda City vtec

For budget 2+ lakhs:
Maruti Sx4
Ford Fiesta Classic Petrol

For budget 2.5+ lakhs:
Maruti Swift Dzire
Honda City Zx
Fiat Linea
Hyundai Verna

For budget 3+ lakhs:
Honda City i-Vtec

Cars like Civic, Lancer, Optra, Octavia, Accord, Sonata are expensive to maintain, difficult to find parts, low on fuel efficiency and very low GC so I advice you to stay away from these cars.

Make sure you search a car that has odo range from 40-60k but anything more is not advisable. Get a throughout check from service center or well-known repair shop before settling deal.

p.s My choice would be Maruti SX4 for space and comfort or Ford Fiesta Classic for performance and driving pleasure.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Thread Starter #5
Tysm but sir i think the price you listed are higher , not sure though because I am getting ohc for 60000 ,nhc zx 120000, sx4 for about 2 . Anyway i would not touch esteem , on the other hand ohc is my choice but i can get nhc in my budget so ill go for it , i liked ur idea of sx4 thats now on my list and in my budget too . I personally like the looks and power of civic , if parts are little expensive compared to city then i can handle what concerns me is reliability if civic is reliable parts cost wont bother much . So at the end my choices would be civic , nhc , sx4

I am not an expert but try to do a lot of research before spending my hard earned money, so my vote goes to SX4 considering low maintenance cost and easy serviceability! :-)

All the best!

Tysm but sir i think the price you listed are higher , not sure though because I am getting ohc for 60000 ,nhc zx 120000, sx4 for about 2 . Anyway i would not touch esteem , on the other hand ohc is my choice but i can get nhc in my budget so ill go for it , i liked ur idea of sx4 thats now on my list and in my budget too . I personally like the looks and power of civic , if parts are little expensive compared to city then i can handle what concerns me is reliability if civic is reliable parts cost wont bother much . So at the end my choices would be civic , nhc , sx4
Well, I have checked Mumbai olx and got the approx prices for good condition cars. The prices you have found seems too good to be true to me. That means I have high doubt on the cars having too low price tag.

Reasons:
Car owned by too many.
Car with high odo will be rolled back,
Car repaired after major accident,
Car with different chassis no and engine no, means the engine was replaced due to fault or accident,
And etc.

These are common in major cities so you have to be very careful when choosing a used car. [:)]

Civic may be reliable if first owner has kept it well maintained and serviced, otherwise you will have to spend lakhs to repair. Due to low GC, there is a high chance of damaging bottom parts. Ramp up the car and check for damages, leakage or welding, especially on exhaust system.

Civic parts are not just expensive but difficult to source. Everytime I give my car (ANHC) for service, I see many civic sitting idle with full of dust and that is because they need a part but service center is unable to source.[cry]

Last edited:
So ill have to choose between a nhc or a sx4 tysm for your replies ill update when i get one
Ok, when you search Honda City ZX, look for V-TEC variant because it has high performance engine while I-DSI engine in GXI/EXI is more fuel efficient and has better torque at low RPMs.

SX4 has excellent GC and 16" wheels, so you can confidently go over bad patches or unscientific bumps. Engine is powerful with a little hit on fuel efficiency. You can expect 8-10km/l in the city and 15km/l on the highway.

Good luck [:)]

Thread Starter #10
I saw a 2006 scorpio . You think it would be easy getting its spares and maintaing it and what about an Hyundai getz?

Top Bottom