A-Segment Hatchback Dilemma: Which One To Go For?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello friends

Let me first pen down the information according to the template given in this thread before giving a quick write-up of the actual situation. Do note that this car-buying question is raised by my close relatives. They asked me for the best possible option and I've suggested them Alto 800 Lxi Option for the time being. Purchase is planned in late Feb 2017.

> Your Budget: 3 Lac on-road Delhi, but expandable to 3.5-3.75 Lac as they will opt for maximum loan
> New or Used: New Car, strictly a hatchback because of limited parking space (already have a Dzire)
> Your Location: Delhi
> Top Five Priorities: *Listed down in detail
> Running: Close to 14k kms per year
> Type of Fuel: Petrol, no plans to opt for CNG in future
> For What Purpose: 80% in-city daily commute, mild traffic
> Seating Capacity: Solo driven 90% of the time, with a co-driver occasionally

*Top Five Priorities

1. This car will be used by a 55-year old sedate driver, not totally well-versed with driving (uses Honda Activa a lot for city-runabouts) but is also not keen on AMT and such. Ease of driving is a big priority. He does not use Dzire due to sheer size only. It has covered 18k kms since 2010.

2. Car will be used, on petrol, for close to 10 years. So we are looking at ~1.5 Lac kms of running. Fuel economy is the next major priority, with expectations of 16-18 kmpl in city with AC. I believe B-segment diesels and A-segment petrol cars would be equally fuel efficient. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Resale is not that big a concern, since the car will be used to its capabilities by the time it is sold. Frugal engine and decent reliability is expected though.

4. Basic feature requirement is AC and power steering. Front 2 power windows would be required, but can be fitted from aftermarket if not provided. Costs around 6k bucks. Airbags and ABS can be skipped, but will be good to have. Optional airbags will be opted for it available with a difference of under 10k bucks. Looks, handling, performance, comfort, etc. can take a backseat as the car will be used for Point A to B commute, nothing else.

5. Due to low budget, discounts are a deciding factor. They will be able to get good discounts on Maruti cars because of some contacts with the dealer and loyalty bonus as well. Their previous cars have been from Maruti only. Insurance can be purchased seperately if price difference is significant.

Cars under consideration -

Maruti Alto 800 (Lxi option)
Maruti Alto K10 (Lxi option)
Renault Kwid (RxL)
Hyundai Eon (Dlite+ with airbag)

Do suggest which one would be more suitable for the above requirements. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Alpha

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: A-segment Hatchback Dilemma - Which one to go for?

Hello friends

Cars under consideration -

Maruti Alto 800 (Lxi option)
Maruti Alto K10 (Lxi option)
Renault Kwid (RxL)
Hyundai Eon (Dlite+ with airbag)

Do suggest which one would be more suitable for the above requirements.
Dear Buddy, going by your needs I feel Alto k10 with Optional Safety pack is a viable choice. Reason is:

1) As it is going to be used by elderly gentleman so the car has to be least complicated and fill-it-shut-it types.

2) ASC Network has to be very good so that he may not have to run for finding an ASC for servicing later on. Maintenance has to be easy on pocket too.

3) As it will also be driven by him so considering the age too, added safety is important because of reflexes and eyesight as well.

Please do not compromise on the safety features. Also, once you choose the car and have booked it then in case you need any help with regards to PDI then let me know. It will be my pleasure to help you dear.

Regards

Akash

You can also think of Nano AMT. Ticks most of your boxes, the advantage it has is lots of space internally. You also have decent ICE and bluetooth connectivity. But it is strictly a city roundabout.

You can get great discounts too.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Driver side Airbag is available only in K10 VXi(Optional) variant, which will not come with his budget of Rs.3.75L (max). The VXi variant itself costs Rs.379,748 (ex showroom price) and the VXi(O) will cost Rs.399,936 (Prices in Kerala) and you add another about Rs.40000 towards Tax+Insurance etc which will take total amount around Rs.445,000/450,000 and Present discount for K10 is Rs.25000 (not sure how much it will be in January 2017).

So, the budget has to be extended further, if safety option (Airbag) is required)?

You can also think of Nano AMT. Ticks most of your boxes, the advantage it has is lots of space internally. You also have decent ICE and bluetooth connectivity. But it is strictly a city roundabout.
You can get great discounts too.
I too would endorse your suggestion, Vikram. Apart from the fact that (as you said) it ticks most of Alpha's boxes, the Nano's RE/RWD lay-out also strongly hints at the longevity/durability of this drive-train. If waiting a few months more is not an issue, then it maybe worthwhile waiting for the launch of Tata's Pelican, the next evolution of the Nano. Aside from other things (like attending to customer feed-back issues regarding the current Nano), the Pelican is reputed to have a larger engine, larger wheels and more upmarket interiors & safety features. The overall size of the car & its drive-train remains the same, but the OTR is something one must wait for till the launch.

I too would endorse your suggestion, Vikram. Apart from the fact that (as you said) it ticks most of Alpha's boxes, the Nano's RE/RWD lay-out also strongly hints at the longevity/durability of this drive-train. If waiting a few months more is not an issue, then it maybe worthwhile waiting for the launch of Tata's Pelican, the next evolution of the Nano. Aside from other things (like attending to customer feed-back issues regarding the current Nano), the Pelican is reputed to have a larger engine, larger wheels and more upmarket interiors & safety features. The overall size of the car & its drive-train remains the same, but the OTR is something one must wait for till the launch.
Off Topic.
Tata Pelican have been scrapped as for now, as its unprofitable for TATA.

Off Topic.
Tata Pelican have been scrapped as for now, as its unprofitable for TATA.
Thank you for the correction GautamJ, though I'm not sure about the Pelican's scrapping yet. The website (www.indiacarnews.com/news/tata-nano-2017-pelican-launch-price-specs-13194/) I got the update from is dated 14th Oct.2016. If the decision to scrap the Pelican came more recently, then I certainly stand corrected! Though it would be a disappointment that the design - so evocative of the nostalgia of an era left behind - has been sacrificed for commercial reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #9
Hello friends

Thanks for stepping in and providing your suggestions. Very much appreciated.

You can also think of Nano AMT. Ticks most of your boxes, the advantage it has is lots of space internally. You also have decent ICE and bluetooth connectivity.
Apart from the fact that (as you said) it ticks most of Alpha's boxes, the Nano's RE/RWD lay-out also strongly hints at the longevity/durability of this drive-train.
Nano feels (no matter how good a proposition it is overall) a segment below when compared to competitors esp. Alto K10 and Kwid. Moroever, I have hardly come across a Nano with over 50k kms, and most of them under 50k kms had packed up totally. This is a deterrant for long term extensive usage, had this been a spare car (with around 5k km per year usage), Nano would have been a no-brainer.

Driver side Airbag is available only in K10 VXi(Optional) variant, which will not come with his budget of Rs.3.75L (max).

So, the budget has to be extended further, if safety option (Airbag) is required)?
Maruti has made driver airbag optional on all variants of Alto K10 recently, for an additional amount of 6k. So, yes, LXi with Airbag is easily within budget (around 3.85 Lac on road, 25k discount, plus loyalty bonus and some negotiation will bring the price to around 3.5 Lac) but obtaining an airbag version is a difficult task as most dealers have normal versions in stock.

I will update as and when I get any information from their side.

Regards,
Alpha

Hello friends.........Nano feels (no matter how good a proposition it is overall) a segment below when compared to competitors esp. Alto K10 and Kwid. Moroever, I have hardly come across a Nano with over 50k kms, and most of them under 50k kms had packed up totally. This is a deterrant for long term extensive usage, had this been a spare car (with around 5k km per year usage), Nano would have been a no-brainer.
Regards,
Alpha
Hello Alpha, I appreciate your frank appraisal of the Nano and accept your view vis-a-vis the competition![:)] I also know of a couple of Nanos here in Lucknow which have changed hands twice. Not because of any serious maintenance or usage issues, but because the owners wanted to migrate to a segment higher! So I completely understand your reservations. Speaking for myself, I'm waiting with crossed fingers in the hope that the Pelican is actually launched with the updated features as per the various snippets appearing in the media over the recent past. And if that happens, I shall try and put my money where my mouth is!

Alto is too cramped and build quality is on the lowest side. Would recommend eon with airbag anyday over any alto. Better go with 1L engine one. Somehow I don't like kwid. Passenger space is compromised for boot space. Height is too low and cost cutting is much more compared to eon. Single wiper is a blatant cost cutting. Also interior quality is pathetic in both alto and kwid. Eon is much better in this regard.

Sorry to convolute your choices further but I could not resist throwing in Tiago XE variant. It is a bit costlier at 4.12L OTR vs your listed budget. It won't be sprightly as an Alto but scores better on the safety aspect.

Sorry to convolute your choices further but I could not resist throwing in Tiago XE variant. It is a bit costlier at 4.12L OTR vs your listed budget. It won't be sprightly as an Alto but scores better on the safety aspect.
+1, I wanted to state that earlier but it would overshoot OP's budget so didn't say.

Considering your requirement and budget, I would suggest Alto 800 Lxi with optional security features. Alto K10 AMT is going to give you a better driving experience but may overshoot your budget. Alto 800 gives the best mileage amongst the choices you listed. I myself have been driving one for nearly 2.5 years and it consistently gives around 18-19 kmpl (without AC) within city limits, which is great considering the traffic condition of kolkata.

From the given choice I can recommend K10, trust me this car has the sweetest engine and transmission. This 3 pot K-series engine is very frugal and powerful too. Space inside car is bit cramped but all A segment cars are somewhat similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom