Thinking of Upgrading From Maruti Alto 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello friends and fellow auto enthusiasts

I presently own a Maruti Alto 800 vxi and I am thinking of upgrading. My requirements and budget are listed below. After that, I have listed the dilemma that I am facing and would like to request your help and advice to overcome those.

Budget: Preferably 5.5L, stretchable up to 6.25L. I shall opt for finance.

Present car: Alto 800 vxi, (Sept 2014), Odo reading ~10k. Extremely well maintained and self driven. All MGA genuine accessories including rear parking sensor is fitted. The 5 years road tax is paid and the car is under a bumper to bumper (zero depreciation) insurance for another 7 months.

Driving style: sedated

Usage: Mainly city drive, occasional highway (9:1). Average 200km per week

Requirements:

1. A little bigger car which can accomodate 3 adults comfortably at the back and maybe squeeze a child occasionally.

2. Security features: Airbags, ABS with EBD, Fog lamps, central locking

3. Low maintenance cost (parts easily available and not too pricey) with fuel economy at least near to my Alto 800.

4. Power windows

5. A good music system would be an added bonus.

6. Intend to own for long.

7. Good resale value.

8. Looks can not be ignored totally.

Cars that I have considered/ considering:

1. Tata Tiago XZ petrol (with alloy)

2. Maruti Suzuki Baleno Petrol

3. Mahindra KUV 100 Petrol

4. Tata Zest Petrol

5. Tata Bolt Petrol

My dilemmas:

Personally and feature wise, I am inclined to Tiago XZ. it's price and features, both are ticking all the right boxes. Though quite a few of my acquaintances are advising against Tata. Their main issues are the serviceability of the vehicle, availability of parts, high cost of ownership in long run and low resale value. They are also saying that the longevity of Tata cars are poor and the petrol engine of Tata is not good.

Are these really true negative points for Tata and should I avoid buying Tiago or any Tata car?

Secondly, I am completely confused about the price that my present vehicle may fetch. The dealers are quoting quite low, about 1.9L~2.1L. Please advise me on the price that my present car may fetch in the market.

Finally, which of the above cars should I consider, or is my choice of Tiago is judicious? Should I wait for new cars which are going to be launched on the beginning of 2017, including Tiago AMT version?

Please help me out with these issues.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Thinking of upgrading

I will chose the tiago or the Baleno.

Tiago mainly because it's really vfm. Tata is changing their image and I am sure the parts won't be that expensive. I have mixed experiences with hyundai service. Same goes for all brands.

If you are comfortable with the size of tiago then it's a no brainer. Other wise buy the Baleno delta variant which have most of the features you mentioned. Tiago is selling in good number so I don't think it will have less resale.

I would chose baleno over the tiago just because of the space. That's it.
You will have to negotiate hard for the price. Because of demonitosation cars sales have taken a dive and second hand car market too.
You won't find much takers on olx so exchanging it with the dealer Is your only option now.
You won't get any discounts on these cars either.

You can wait for the ignis to arrive ( 13th january) tiago amt might arrive only in mid 2017

Thread Starter #3

Thanks a lot for your to the point answer.
Actually the Baleno Delta costs about 1L more on road compared to Tiago XZ. Regarding Tiago, do the alloy wheels really matter? And what about Tata insurance and Tata AMC the dealer is offering? Please advise on these issues too.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Like I said that is upto you. If you are satisfied with tiago then buy it without much thinking.
If you are not fully satisfied , space is a problem and you can spend 1 lakh extra then the Baleno.

We too will replace our aging santro for my dad. I like elite i20 but I dont find any reason to spend around 1.5 lakh extra and not get even abs. Then I think about baleno but the build quality is not that great and not much premium interiors compared to i20. So I always end deciding in my mind - the tiago xz without alloys. Just because it fulfills my dad's requirement.
Alloys are just for aesthetic purposes. If you like them get them else get the variant without alloys ( future alignment and balancing charges will be Lower in steel rims)

I wouldn't trust the service center with amc. I just can't. In normal services I have witnessed sc charging amount for the work which was never done on the car. When questioned they just said it was a mistake.
So obviously how can I trust them to change parts on time when I have already paid for 3-4 years. They will do the job which is great but they can skip it too. So I wouldn't buy the AMC.
Since you drive sedately you won't find issues with the tiago but engine will be better in the Baleno.
So take a td back to back and then decide.

Last edited:

I agree with everything @allhyundai said.
In Delta model of Baleno you will smoother and more refined petrol engine but you won't get many important features. Personally I am not impressed with the build quality of Baleno sold in India. Baleno waiting period is long and also Delta on road would be 7L at least I guess. Even Zest would be 7L+. Kuv100 has low FE in petrol and design is quirky from side. I strongly recommend Tiago in that budget. Tata service has made improvements but you need to find the best service center through other Tiago owners.
Alloys mainly increase aesthetic looks and unnoticeable increase in FE due to lighter weight. Xz without alloys is a terrific VFM. If you want high FE you can go with xt(o) Diesel if your running is high.
My running is not high so I purchased Tiago xz w/o alloys petrol. This is my first Tata car. Till now satisfied.
I personally couldn't get convinced so didn't buy AMC. Also I went for third party insurance and saved some money. I even left out extended warranty. So ultimately I got a cute premium hatchback at a mouth watering price.
PS - All companies are going for a big price hike in the beginning of Jan 2017. It might be around 10-20k on road. So it would be a good deal to get some car readily in the showroom if some user has cancelled booking.

Last edited:

You could take a look at Toyota Liva. It basically ticks each and every requirement of yours, right from reliability to low cost maintenance. I can personally vouch for it as I had owned the first gen Liva. I will leave the looks upto you. While it may not be pleasing, it is definitely not offensive. It gives decent mileage. Comes with Toyota reliability. You have got taxi operators driving Liva. Hence spare availability will not be a problem.

Whatever be your choice, my best wishes for the same.

Last edited:

Thanks a lot for your to the point answer.
Actually the Baleno Delta costs about 1L more on road compared to Tiago XZ. Regarding Tiago, do the alloy wheels really matter? And what about Tata insurance and Tata AMC the dealer is offering? Please advise on these issues too.
Tiago is the best choice in your budget. Alloy wheel is mostly considered for its looks, so it is your choice. AMC is not necessary IMO. AMC will cover few parts and some charges. you can pay for those parts as it will cost less than the AMC. Extended warranty will be sufficient.

TIAGO XZ Petrol will really suits your need. The FE is much better with the revtron engine. Also the feature set really nice that fits into the price bracket of 5.5 to 6 lac.

KUV100 k8 5 seater could likely to overshoot your budget, but you can get the feel of little SUV while you seat in the car. With its tall stance and 185/65R14 wheel it gives a manly look.

go for tiago or zest both are good
Agreed. Just be mindful that the Zest is slightly low on FE figures. And considering its Kolkata, just get the smaller car. [lol]

The Tiago has more or less all the features of the Zest and the Baleno has a long waiting and literally no chance of any discounts.

Had you been in Delhi, would have suggested the Baleno. I have booked one myself [:D], but for the streets ok good ol' cal, it would be the Tiago.

Among the cars you listed, I feel Tiago would be best choice followed by Baleno. If you are not much bothered about the looks you may also consider the upcoming Ignis. Why not consider Figo?

Thread Starter #12
Thank you for your responses.

Figo I believe is rather high on price and maintenance, low on both FE and features. Though I must say the build quality is great, though it won't score much brownie points on looks :D

Regarding Ignis, I think the price is on the higher side, if I have read about the expected price correctly.

Regarding Tiago, what about the road side assistance in case f any unforeseen breakdown? Please comment on the issue of long term reliability of Tata engines too. Suzuki petrol engines surely offers a great peace of mind with very low chances of breakdown.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Figo I believe is rather high on price and maintenance, low on both FE and features. Though I must say the build quality is great, though it won't score much brownie points on looks
Well Figo is not as "high" on maintenance buddy. Ford has come up with this Service Cost Calculator stuff that gives you the exact expense to be made on your car during servicing. I would say, Diesel Figo gives a modest FE and the petrol FE too won't be much disappointing either. As for Features, it depends what are your priorities buddy, i.e safety or cosmetic features.

Regarding Ignis, I think the price is on the higher side, if I have read about the expected price correctly.
I would say better than Ignis, try for Honda Jazz. Jazz with I-vtec gives same peace of mind as the MSIL petrol engine does. Also Jazz has 1.2 I-vtec i.e a proven bigger engine.

Regarding Tiago, what about the road side assistance in case f any unforeseen breakdown? Please comment on the issue of long term reliability of Tata engines too.
The engine of TIAGO has been through a tough endurance testing prior to launch. It is a reliable engine and surely the RSA would be prompt too. I haven't heard of TIAGO breaking-down on road so far. You can surely give a try to TIAGO and I can say that it won't be disappointing you.

Suzuki petrol engines surely offers a great peace of mind with very low chances of breakdown.
Of-course they do but as of now many other brands too are offering reliable engines in diesel and petrol. You can also consider the Liva of Toyota. Engines of Toyota are also very reliable and last long.

Regards

Akash

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say better than Ignis, try for Honda Jazz. Jazz with I-vtec gives same peace of mind as the MSIL petrol engine does. Also Jazz has 1.5 I-vtec i.e a proven bigger engine.

One small correction buddy, Jazz petrol has 1.2 engine. City comes with 1.5

My personal suggestion on the upgrade considering your budget would be
Tata Tiago
Toyota Etios Liva
Honda Brio

Thank you for your responses.

Figo I believe is rather high on price and maintenance, low on both FE and features. Though I must say the build quality is great, though it won't score much brownie points on looks :D

Regarding Tiago, what about the road side assistance in case f any unforeseen breakdown? Please comment on the issue of long term reliability of Tata engines too. Suzuki petrol engines surely offers a great peace of mind with very low chances of breakdown.
I read somewhere Tata has done 2Lakh kms test on test mules before launching. In my Bangalore Tiago group there are people who have done 12k kms and never faced any issues and there is a slight risk in everything in life. Coming to road side safety, I don't remember frankly whetherTata provides any or any other manufacturer provides but I have taken 0dep insurance from RS and they have provided with road side safety. You just need to call a number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom