Advice Needed on Holding or Selling Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9 TDI

Thread Starter #1
Hello Folks

I need advice on whether to hold on to my Octy 2003 model or sell it. Car needs some major repairs and cost would be around a Lakh rupees. Is this good to hold or sell it, as selling price offered is also very low. Also note that car's repair price may go beyond it's selling price.

Last edited:
Sell It! Even if you repair to fullest the chance of failure in middle of journey are more. Also it may require further maintenance, which could be a headache.

One more thing, since the car is almost 13 years old, so later 1.5-2 year you will have re-register at RTO for further continuation of use.

Hello Folks

I need advice on whether to hold on to my Octy 2003 model or sell it. Car needs some major repairs and cost would be around a Lakh rupees. Is this good to hold or sell it, as selling price offered is also very low. Also note that car's repair price may go beyond it's selling price.
I also suggest that you give it away. It's already gonna cost you a hefty amount. 1 lakh is a current estimate and it might go up even more. If you do spend on it, after a couple of years the life tax is going to expire and will need to be registered again just like amitpshelke said. By then, the car's value will have depreciated further. You're already saying that the selling price is low. What if you get a major fault like this after some years when the car's value is next to scrap rate? The loss will be heavy later so it's best to sell it now, provided you don't have any emotional attachments to it.

If the body and electricals are perfectly ok and it needs only a mechanical repair of 1L, I suggest to go ahead and repair the car. Selling price of Octy + 1L you are about to spend on repairs can't get any better car than Octy. After all, known devil is better than unknown angel. RTO hassles in near future can be tackled with few grands, not a big pain.

But if all 3 categories (body, mechanical parts, electricals) needs attention, better dispose it.

Thread Starter #6
it is better to dispose it. since the car is old you don't know what other part may fail after this expenditure. but if you are sure that there won't be any problems and the car can last atleast 2 more years without problems then you may spend it.
Thanks allhyundai cars. Yes, car is definitely old. Well I am not sure if there won't be any problems as it was Chauffer driver and was used by my dad. AC not working since a year, so it adds up the cost.

Sell It! Even if you repair to fullest the chance of failure in middle of journey are more. Also it may require further maintenance, which could be a headache.

One more thing, since the car is almost 13 years old, so later 1.5-2 year you will have re-register at RTO for further continuation of use.
Thanks Amit, Body is in good condition except bonnet which needs a dent removal.
I also suggest that you give it away. It's already gonna cost you a hefty amount. 1 lakh is a current estimate and it might go up even more. If you do spend on it, after a couple of years the life tax is going to expire and will need to be registered again just like amitpshelke said. By then, the car's value will have depreciated further. You're already saying that the selling price is low. What if you get a major fault like this after some years when the car's value is next to scrap rate? The loss will be heavy later so it's best to sell it now, provided you don't have any emotional attachments to it.
Thanks Brian, no emotional value attached to it as it was bought in second hand.
If the body and electricals are perfectly ok and it needs only a mechanical repair of 1L, I suggest to go ahead and repair the car. Selling price of Octy + 1L you are about to spend on repairs can't get any better car than Octy. After all, known devil is better than unknown angel. RTO hassles in near future can be tackled with few grands, not a big pain.

But if all 3 categories (body, mechanical parts, electricals) needs attention, better dispose it.
Thanks Mr. Boss. Yes, I was thinking on same lines. Probably, I need more accurate numbers to decide. I will visit FNG this Saturday and try to get more accurate numbers for all three. Bonnet has a dent and needs to be removed and AC not working. Last week driver's side door has jammed up and it's not opening, have to get it checked as well. Will keep posted on this.

I second Mr.Boss's view. I will slightly modify it, though.
SELL, If you plan to buy a new car OR you are bored with it OR if the car has become dependent on YOU.
KEEP, if you don't intend to buy a new car AND the car doesn't drain your wallet.

Thread Starter #8
I second Mr.Boss's view. I will slightly modify it, though.
SELL, If you plan to buy a new car OR you are bored with it OR if the car has become dependent on YOU.
KEEP, if you don't intend to buy a new car AND the car doesn't drain your wallet.
Thanks Vijay. No plans of buying a new car. Haven't yet got bored of it. It's got tremendous torque and is still nice to drive. A lakh is quite a bit of money to invest on repairs of car which I have to do carefully.

Thanks Vijay. No plans of buying a new car. Haven't yet got bored of it. It's got tremendous torque and is still nice to drive. A lakh is quite a bit of money to invest on repairs of car which I have to do carefully.
Some expenditures are worth more than the actual value. Recently a friend spent Rs 55,000/- on his 15 year old Santro and I reacted [frustration] His logic was, "I like it, family is not insisting on a new car and it serves its purpose. The only mistake he did was going to a local workshop than Hyundai's ; the new clutch assembly gave problem within a month and took 3 days to sort it out. If going to a local mechanic, insist on genuine parts and take extra care about workmanship. Good Luck.

Top Bottom