Is Honda Civic (2009) Good Option For Pre-owned Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I was in search of pre-owned petrol car with budget of around 4 lacs. Recently I got an offer of Honda Civic 1.8 S MT 2009 model with odometer reading of 70000kms for 3.75lacs.

Car is in really good condition. Driven single handedly and maintained through out at authorised honda dealer. Full service history available. Also has insurance and annual service contract running till June 2017.

I really liked the car but whoever I asked about opinion, they all said not to go for Civic. They were mostly my relatives and friends and could not justify their answer.

I need some expert advice on weather its a good choice for the price?! Should I go for it or wait for some other offer?!

Cheers,
Aaron

I am no expert but have driven a 2010 Civic AT (US Spec) for 5 years. Honda's last more than 1.5 lakh KM easily and I don't see any reason not to buy this '09 Civic. Please get it inspected for parts wear and tear which may have to be replaced in the near future. If I am not wrong, timing belt will have to be replaced around 1 lakh KM or so. Again, I will leave the mechanical aspects for experts to answer.

Right now a Civic is the best proposition in the used car market. It gives the premium looks, premium interiors and the revv happy iVtec engine is a joy to drive.

Your neighbor will think you've paid upwards of 12 L for it but your heart knows you've paid much lesser. It is a great idea and one car that is getting huge demand in the used market.

If the car you have seen is indeed clean, negotiate a little more bring it down to around 3-3.2 lacs and you are good to go. All the best!

Hello Friends,

I got an offer of Honda Civic 1.8 S MT 2009 model with odometer reading of 70000kms for 3.75lacs.
I say go for it. 3.75 L for a 2009 civic is a good deal and it's only better since you've mentioned that it's a single-owned, properly maintained car. Do try to finish it off at 3.5 L as much as possible.
On the other hand, do check for wear just as Prabhagar has rightly said. Usually the 70-80k mark is where some parts call for a replacement. Just to be on the safer side, have a trained mech look at it and just replace the parts which seem tired. As a rule of the thumb, check the clutch, brakes, all the hoses, cables and wires (don't try to compromise on these parts). Of course the tyres are an obvious answer too.
Good luck with your Civic (oh how I remember drooling over that car) buddy, if you choose her [;)]

Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys for the reply!

His asking price was 4.2 and I really negotiated hard to get it to 3.75. I don't think he will agree upon anything less than that. I have get it checked with local mechanic. Thinking to get it checked with Honda as well.

I am planning to keep it for at least next 5 years, with my average monthly running not more than 500 kms. Will it be easy to maintain, especially getting spare parts?!

oh how I remember drooling over that car
I couldn't agree more! It was dream car since the day I looked at it first.

Attached pic for reference.

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
These are the 1st gen Civics! Really a looker and even better to drive.
Only issue is very low GC which means each unscientific speed-breaker will Hit the underbody. Otherwise its a really good deal at 3.6L!

Most common parts fail in civic are power steering master cylinder leaks often costs 60k, engine beddings often fails costs more. some time back I want to go for civic but after service costs, parts and reliability issues I droped my idea.

-suryaputhra

Thread Starter #9
Most common parts fail in civic are power steering master cylinder leaks often costs 60k, engine beddings often fails costs more. some time back I want to go for civic but after service costs, parts and reliability issues I droped my idea.

-suryaputhra
That's heart breaking! I searched on internet and found many people reporting these issues with repair cost of 1 to 3 lacs [frustration] Thank you very much for the information.

Last edited:
I would suggest you to take an opinion from an authorised Honda dealer. Don't make the deal go away if the car is good and for such low driving requirements it won't be an issue.

You are not going to lose big money when you sell it. You are already getting at depreciated value and the cost of insurance will be miniscule as well.

It's a good drivers car with high revving engine. Go for it if you are satisfied.

As most members have mentioned, the Civic is absolutely drool-worthy! And the maintenance niggles I read about here can be attributed to happenstance - Honda's engineering prowess can be taken for granted & needs no emphasis [:)].

The one major downside to the 2009 Civic is its pathetic ground clearance (5.5 inches = 140 mm, HONDA Civic Coupe - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 - autoevolution)
This might be a reason for its poor reputation in our used-car market. If you are comfortable with this issue, there is no reason for you to hesitate - go for it.

On the other hand I find that there are several sites on the net (including amazon) offering G.C. raising kits for the Civic, apparently assuring an increase of 35 - 50 mm!
But I'd suggest you take this approach with caution & get some customer feed-back before you buy the kit (app 4000/- on the website I visited ).

The one reason I did not opt for the Civic (in-spite of my respect for Honda's engineering skills) was its FWD lay-out, specially with its ample (2700 mm) wheelbase.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Note: Thread closed since the car has been bought. Please feel free to create an ownership review for further discussions. Thanks.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom