Which Car For Rs.10 Lakh?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am Car Enthusiast and looking forward to buy my first car. My budget is within Rs10L. My expectations are:

1. Good build quality & touch screen infotainment (type tonics), reverse parking camera & inbuilt map (hmm i can think of buying an map from market)
2. Seating Capacity: minimum 5 persons; no hump in second row.
3. 70% city driving & 30% or even 20% highway driving
4. Good ground clearance & good driving positions.
5. No comprise on safety features: ABS with EBD and airbags
6. Expecting 100BHP englne [:D] & ease in city riding (bumper to bumper traffic)
7. Expecting hand-rest in front (optional though can be purchased as an accessory[glasses]) & back.
8. Good command & ability to handle bad roads.
9. Won't expect too much to spend on servicing/maintenance

Am I expecting too much in Rs10L car? [surprise]

I have shortlisted few cars:
1. EcoSport: good but not cramp in 2nd row siting.
2. Scross: a very good one but out of my budget (top variant)
3. Scorpio: my fav; mediocre interior/cabin storage space. Again out of my budget (top variant)
4. TUV300: within my budget but not sure on
5. not a big fan of breeza/baleno/duster
6. ciaz: SHVS are out of my budget; non SHVS could be but not good build quality. Heard Ciaz will get an engine update & will be sold through NEXA. Can't comment now on newer model.

Let me know what's your views. Thanks for your help!

Re: Which car?

Penter Bro

I would suggest you to look for following cars :-

1. Tata Zest Diesel
XT variant come with host of features also you can opt for AMT option for ease and I am sure it will fit in your budget.

2. Ford Figo/Aspire
If you really need 100 PS of power with good build quality.

Service Costs/Maintenance of both will be less. As far as Tata After Sales Service goes, I have been customer of TATA since five years and its much better than Hyundai's. As per Ford owners maintenance are not that much high.

I would also suggest you to go through TAI ownership reports.

My budget is within Rs10L. My expectations are:

1. Good build quality & touch screen infotainment (type tonics), reverse parking camera & inbuilt map (hmm i can think of buying an map from market)
6. Expecting 100BHP englne [:D] & ease in city riding (bumper to bumper traffic)
7. Expecting hand-rest in front (optional though can be purchased as an accessory[glasses]) & back.

Am I expecting too much in Rs10L car!
Hello Penter

To be very honest, you are expecting too much. No car in the market will satisfy all your requirements, so a compromise will have to be made. Either you will have to increase the budget to 14-15 Lacs (to accomodate XUV, Creta and S Cross; highly unlikely) or tone down the "how much" factor in your requirements of power, space, etc.. I would suggest you to once again think and consider our requirements, you are expecting features and comfort of a sedan with ruggedness and stance of an SUV, and maintenance cost of a hatchback. Just kidding, pick one from luxury and utility. It will make the decision easier.

Based on your post, I would recommend S Cross 1.6. I'll leave the choice of variant on you. Variant doesn't matter as long as you have that beast under the hood. :biggrin:

Regards,
Alpha

@Penter
Look no further than Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi (diesel), it will address most of your concerns.

S Cross 1.3 is next but mark my word, it never feels like driving a 100 bhp or even a proper 90 bhp car.

I feel the points you have mentioned makes for THE ideal car for a typical Indian family [:D]. However no such car exists in real world. I would suggest to break your requirements into 3 parts: "Absolutely necessary", "Nice to have but can be looked over" and lastly "can live without it". If you can segregate, then it becomes easy for you to shortlist and have a realistic number of cars. Extensively TD the car over various routes and then identify the ones that has blown you over. The forum members can then help you with pros and cons from those and help you choose your next car.

Quite honestly, asking a generic question will only add to your confusion [lol]. After all, you are bound to get infinite options. But only you know what suits best to you and your family. My humble and sincere apologies if anybody thinks I have not added any value with my comments. But just to give my choice, I would choose Ford Aspire.

Hello Penter

To be very honest, you are expecting too much. No car in the market will satisfy all your requirements, so a compromise will have to be made. Either you will have to increase the budget to 14-15 Lacs (to accomodate XUV, Creta and S Cross; highly unlikely) or tone down the "how much" factor in your requirements of power, space, etc.. I would suggest you to once again think and consider our requirements, you are expecting features and comfort of a sedan with ruggedness and stance of an SUV, and maintenance cost of a hatchback. Just kidding, pick one from luxury and utility. It will make the decision easier.

Based on your post, I would recommend S Cross 1.6. I'll leave the choice of variant on you. Variant doesn't matter as long as you have that beast under the hood. :biggrin:

Regards,
Alpha
As OP'S requirements are 70% city driving, S Cross 1.6 would be of no use. The turbo lag eliminate the fun factor he looks for in city driving. There are a lot of other cars that fits the bill. One of them is Ecosport, which suits his requirement perfectly.
It's just that he be a little patient and buy the new Ecosport in 2017 with possible SYNC 3 update with navigation. This car will tick almost all the boxes.

Last edited:

I think Maruthi has given an ECU update on S Cross. Hence the drivability is much better now within the city limits. The problem with ecosport is its a difficult fit for 5 people. However since it will be used within City, should not be a problem I guess.

OT: Not sure how much of 100 PS will be used in the city [:)]

As Vipul said go in for the Hyundai i 20 diesel top end variant as your driving style is mostly in city and you need more safety features.

And i 20 will be more easy to drive in city than any other cars as it has light steering which is easy to chuck around the city. And the 90 bhp is more than enough for city driving.

I think Maruthi has given an ECU update on S Cross. Hence the drivability is much better now within the city limits. The problem with ecosport is its a difficult fit for 5 people. However since it will be used within City, should not be a problem I guess.

OT: Not sure how much of 100 PS will be used in the city [:)]
I don't think there is an ECU update. We cannot compare and see how much of torque is available in lower rev band unless we look at the torque curve. BTW, I have driven both in city conditions and S Cross was not something I was comfortable with. This is felt by almost everyone who test drove it and could be spotted on all road tests.

I don't think there is an ECU update. We cannot compare and see how much of torque is available in lower rev band unless we look at the torque curve. BTW, I have driven both in city conditions and S Cross was not something I was comfortable with. This is felt by almost everyone who test drove it and could be spotted on all road tests.
Was your TD car a recently manufactured one? Perhaps I may be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that an ECU update was done to S Cross 1.6 to give better driveability in city conditions. Again I think it will only require a slight change in driving technique to get over this. But since the budget is 10 lakh, I would not suggest S Cross to the OP. However, Etios Sedan/Liva makes a good case in the budget. But then it does not have reverse camera and one will have make do only with reverse sensors. I think it depends on what features the OP prefers in his/her car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Hi,

I am Car Enthusiast and looking forward to buy my first car. My budget is within Rs10L. My expectations are:

3. Scorpio: my fav; mediocre interior/cabin storage space. Again out of my budget (top variant)
6. ciaz: SHVS are out of my budget; non SHVS could be but not good build quality. Heard Ciaz will get an engine update & will be sold through NEXA. Can't comment now on newer model.

I forgot to add jazz.

Penter Bro

I would suggest you to look for following cars :-

1. Tata Zest Diesel
XT variant come with host of features also you can opt for AMT option for ease and I am sure it will fit in your budget.

2. Ford Figo/Aspire
If you really need 100 PS of power with good build quality.

Service Costs/Maintenance of both will be less. As far as Tata After Sales Service goes, I have been customer of TATA since five years and its much better than Hyundai's. As per Ford owners maintenance are not that much high.

I would also suggest you to go through TAI ownership reports.
I liked Zest however both options provided got big hump so no from my side![frustration]

Hello Penter

Regards,
Alpha
I know but my hands are tight and somehow I like only top end variant[:D] . Also my parents & wife think, spending too much on car is waste. They're telling me to buy second hand car first & new and big car later [frustration]

The option of buying a well maintained user car will be a wise decision considering this will be your first car and you will have good amount of time to get accustomed with the driving skills/habit. Also, the budget of Rs.10L for a top end version of a SUV looks to be really limited and restricted. A used car will give you the cushion to buy the SUV you like, which will be loaded with all the features you need and also wouldn't require you to burn some additional moolah from your savings.

Just my thoughts if I were to be in your shoes. All the best mate [cheers]

Thread Starter #13
The option of buying a well maintained user car will be a wise decision considering this will be your first car and you will have good amount of time to get accustomed with the driving skills/habit. Also, the budget of Rs.10L for a top end version of a SUV looks to be really limited and restricted. A used car will give you the cushion to buy the SUV you like, which will be loaded with all the features you need and also wouldn't require you to burn some additional moolah from your savings.

Just my thoughts if I were to be in your shoes. All the best mate [cheers]
Thanks but buying second hand car as my first car, I won't love it & would be suspect on each & every issues [surprise]

Thanks but buying second hand car as my first car, I won't love it & would be suspect on each & every issues [surprise]
Totally understand your hesitation here. The best way to look at the options available here is to either consider a low/mid version of a SUV to fulfill you big car aspirations or you can comfortably look at the top end and fully loaded with all the bell & whistles premium hatchback. Baleno is a choice worth considering if you can forgo the waiting period.

On a different note, though the probability of issues with an used car cannot be ruled out, a 3 year old car with less miles on the odo and through check up at the authorized service center can you help break a good deal. For ex: Any TATA vehicle could be taken a service center where they charge Rs.750/- + taxes and give you a detailed report on the health of the vehicle. This covers the engine, suspension, body lining and underbody damage.

Thread Starter #15
As OP'S requirements are 70% city driving, S Cross 1.6 would be of no use. The turbo lag eliminate the fun factor he looks for in city driving. There are a lot of other cars that fits the bill. One of them is Ecosport, which suits his requirement perfectly.
It's just that he be a little patient and buy the new Ecosport in 2017 with possible SYNC 3 update with navigation. This car will tick almost all the boxes.
Ecosport is good car but not comfortable for 5 adults. Heard mileage issues with Ford cars.

Hi,

If at all I have to revisit based on preferences, budget & options, I would shortlist: Honda Jazz, TUV 300 & S-cross 1.3 (top end variant -1). I might exclude TUV 300 too though I have soft corner's for Mahindra's

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom