Maruti Ciaz vs Skoda Rapid

Maruti Ciaz or Skoda Rapid

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am from Bangalore and looking forward to purchase a new car and am completley confused between Skoda Rapid for its performance and power And Maruti Ciaz for the features and after sales service.

Kindly give me your honest opinion and feedback on what would be a better choice to make. I am honestly looking for an Automatic car due to Bangalore traffic and would not mind suggestion for any other car in Sedan/ SUV as an alternative.

> Your Budget: Under 15 lakhs

> New or Used: New Car

> Your Location: Bangalore
> Top Five Priorities: Performance, Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Features

> Monthly Running: Not More than 1000 kms (Average 700 kms)

> Type of Fuel: Preferred Petrol, do not mind Diesel in SUV

> For What Purpose: Regular Use

> Seating Capacity: 5

> Type of Segment: Sedan Preferred

Looking forward to expert reviews and suggestion on what would be a better choice to make among the two, and my heartfelt thanks to all of you who read the above query.

Regards,
Vinz

kkn13

Suspended
Why not Honda City CVT? easily meets all needs
Ciaz isnt a stunner in performance(ok-ok)
Rapid is gonna burn a hole in pockets and DSG reliability and maintenance is horrible, Skoda after sales is the worst
Also DSG doesnt go well with bumper to bumper traffic

Honda City ticks all these boxes and is very very reliable and can be fast if needed
I own the 2010 one myself and pride on it

Why not Honda City CVT? easily meets all needs
Ciaz isnt a stunner in performance(ok-ok)
Rapid is gonna burn a hole in pockets and DSG reliability and maintenance is horrible, Skoda after sales is the worst
Also DSG doesnt go well with bumper to bumper traffic

Honda City ticks all these boxes and is very very reliable and can be fast if needed
I own the 2010 one myself and pride on it
Rapid uses a torque converter in Petrol avatar and not DSG. However, I agree with you on DSG in traffic scenarios as I own Vento Tsi and it is a pain to drive and own.

If low maintenance is one of your priority stay away from Rapid or Vento.

City is an excellent choice for a petrol Automatic and look no further.

voted for ciaz as you have mentioned low maintanence and sorry skoda is that easy on the pocket.

With your usage pattern, I think ciaz fits the bill.

To be honest skoda rapid is excellent in the diesel avatar and its fame is due to the explosive diesel engine.

The MPFI engine is a proper commuter engine and on 2 laned highways you need to shift gears at proper rpms to match the pick up and throttle response.

Please go for the ciaz for what is offers. The rapid is solidly built and I can assure you that the ciaz is not that well built.

If its built quality you are after and average bill, I would say go for the linea t-jet.

For 10,000 kms per annum usage the low mileage of the fiat linea won't burn your pocket much.

kkn13

Suspended
Rapid uses a torque converter in Petrol avatar and not DSG. However, I agree with you on DSG in traffic scenarios as I own Vento Tsi and it is a pain to drive and own.
Off-topic but
yeah DSG is insane to drive on highway roads though, I cant wait to drive the 2017 Rapid
1.5 with Turbo, apparently on par with octavia in terms of pickup ,atleast speculation wise. A friend of mine is buying one , he also has a City as a 2nd car just like me just in case [:D]

The rapid is solidly built and I can assure you that the ciaz is not that well built.
Not true Im afraid, the sheet metal myth has to stop, theres more to car safety than that
Also Indian Polo scored very poorly in NCAP without airbags, got 4 stars after airbags........
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-national/breaking-zero-stars-indian-cars-global-ncap-crash-tests-19847

City(previous gen - 5 stars) vs Vento (4 stars) here-
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-ne...est-report-of-india-relevant-cars-384684.aspx

Ciaz and City are fine cars and are as safe as the germans.....
https://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-news/honda-city-scores-5-star-in-ncap-rating-video-130598.html
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/s...-latest-ncap-crash-test-results/1/682387.html

Last edited:
Off-topic but
yeah DSG is insane to drive on highway roads though, I cant wait to drive the 2017 Rapid
1.5 with Turbo, apparently on par with octavia in terms of pickup ,atleast speculation wise. A friend of mine is buying one , he also has a City as a 2nd car just like me just in case

I am too a big fan of DSG in highways and the wide smile it gives is unmatched. However, one has to watch out for reliability issues when one goes for VW cars.

I'm fed up of the visits to service centers for gearbox related issues and the knowledge of service personnel is pathetic to say the least.
I experience way too many jerks and my opinion on German cars is not positive after driving my Vento for 30000kms in 10 months.

I hardly takeout my Vento these days and I'm behind the wheel of my Fiesta which I love taking out. After 25k on my Fiesta and 30k on Vento, my respect for Ford has gone many notches higher and I'm not sure I'll ever turn back to VW in future.

Fiesta is just brilliant to handle and I take just 3 hours from Erode to Bangalore (300 kms) whereas I take a little more on Vento at similar speeds. Fiesta by the way it handles is much faster to travel the same distance at same speeds. PERIOD.

Sorry about going off topic. I kinda say to refrain from Rapid as one has to be lucky with maintenance related issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off-topic but
1.5 with Turbo, apparently on par with octavia in terms of pickup ,atleast speculation wise. A friend of mine is buying one , he also has a City as a 2nd car just like me just in case [:D]

Not true Im afraid, the sheet metal myth has to stop, theres more to car safety than that
Also Indian Polo scored very poorly in NCAP without airbags, got 4 stars after airbags........
Zero stars for all Indian cars in latest Global NCAP crash tests

City(previous gen - 5 stars) vs Vento (4 stars) here-
ASEAN NCAP crash test report of India-relevant cars - Car News - SUV/Crossovers - Autocar India

Ciaz and City are fine cars and are as safe as the germans.....
https://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-news/honda-city-scores-5-star-in-ncap-rating-video-130598.html
Suzuki Ertiga, Ciaz score 4 out of 5 stars in latest NCAP crash test results : Cars, News - India Today
Rapid is better built than ciaz. No offense.

The auto mags can be taken with a pinch of salt.

The crash tests can be confirmed only if the model is the one sold in India.

Same case as alto and nano crash tests.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Rapid is better built than ciaz. No offense.

The auto mags can be taken with a pinch of salt.

The crash tests can be confirmed only if the model is the one sold in India.

Same case as alto and nano crash tests.
The crash tests are for Indian cars............
Rapid is not better built than Ciaz
Im sorry but just sheet metal on the surface cannot determine overall structure of the car

If anything, Rapid will be more powerful but thats about it

Off-topic but

I am too a big fan of DSG in highways and the wide smile it gives is unmatched. However, one has to watch out for reliability issues when one goes for VW cars.

I'm fed up of the visits to service centers for gearbox related issues and the knowledge of service personnel is pathetic to say the least.
I experience way too many jerks and my opinion on German cars is not positive after driving my Vento for 30000kms in 10 months.

I hardly takeout my Vento these days and I'm behind the wheel of my Fiesta which I love taking out. After 25k on my Fiesta and 30k on Vento, my respect for Ford has gone many notches higher and I'm not sure I'll ever turn back to VW in future.

Fiesta is just brilliant to handle and I take just 3 hours from Erode to Bangalore (300 kms) whereas I take a little more on Vento at similar speeds. Fiesta by the way it handles is much faster to travel the same distance at same speeds. PERIOD.

Sorry about going off topic. I kinda say to refrain from Rapid as one has to be lucky with maintenance related issues.
Yeah thats the thing with all German cars
I myself owned the previous gen Superb, scary bills and reliability
Very competitive package though on paper when compared to even BMW and Audi but all these brands are pretty scary to maintain

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome on board Vinz

Kindly give me your honest opinion and feedback on what would be a better choice to make. I am honestly looking for an Automatic car due to Bangalore traffic and would not mind suggestion for any other car in Sedan/ SUV as an alternative.
Bangalore traffic indeed needs an automatic car only.

> Your Location: Bangalore
> Top Five Priorities: Performance, Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Features

> Monthly Running: Not More than 1000 kms (Average 700 kms)

I would suggest you take a look at Ecosport DCT here, if you need only a sedan then you can try Vento TSi or a CVT City if you aren't much keen on the driving experience.

For 5 on board and comfortable seating for all, only Honda City or Ciaz qualifies. If 4 + 1 kid is there then everything qualifies.

Either City CVT or Vento TSi. Ciaz IMO has nothing except space. If you was looking for a manual then Ciaz is definitely a very strong contender but with an auto tranny the Ciaz is the worst thing you can buy out of your money in this segment. City with even a CVT feels better than Ciaz at times, but only at times.

Looking forward to expert reviews and suggestion on what would be a better choice to make among the two, and my heartfelt thanks to all of you who read the above query.
Rapid will give you a diesel automatic and not a petrol one. This is where Vento TSi comes into the picture.

I am owning VW cars since a couple of months and their service as well as after sales have come a long way. Basically in a City or Ciaz you will be paying 6000-7500 bucks per service (even for the initial ones - ask any owner) every 10k kms. On a Vento you will get the bills ranging from 8000-11000 every 15,000 kms, so the maintenance is more or less same with a difference of around 10-15%. For this higher maintenance you get a better built car, an awesome engine, fantastic interior fit and finish, superior driving experience and of course novelty.

My suggestions would be if petrol automatic is needed then:
Ford Ecosport DCT
Volkswagen Vento TSi
Honda City CVT

@Kkn
I have seen people getting crushed to death in Ciaz and Vitara Brezza and people coming out alive from Vento, Polo and Rapid from even worse accidents. Honda City is a different thing but Ciaz is entirely different.

Crash tests are basically three tests conducted in controlled environment and can never tell the complete story. Going by your logic, a Liva is as safe as a Punto; sorry dear, I don't buy this.

Ciaz has poor sheet metal which flexes time and again (hence more chances of dents even on minor touch), poor build which results in door pad rattling etc in long run, poor quality interior plastic and it feels el cheapo inside once you are in rear seat. Even the steering, power window buttons, door pads and the rear seat itself feels from a segment below; heck, it doesn't even has proper rear seat headrests. One can say that City also didn't have them but the seat design in City is so perfect that it doesn't need the adjustable units.
Honda City is Honda City, both these cars are poles apart and City any day deserves 2 lac premium over the Ciaz.

Im sorry but just sheet metal on the surface cannot determine overall structure of the car

No offense buddy.

Hope the OT buys the best car that suits his requirement.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

So you mean to say if a car has solid doors with side impact beams , the company will compromise on structural integrity?

Ciaz has flimsy interiors.

To OP - honda city has similar build quality but much more pricier than the Ciaz. So ciaz seems like a better option but do take a td of the verna as well.

Hmm, petrol+5 seater+sedan+good ASS. the only car is honda city. But try to check the linea also. Excellent engine+handling combination. City's manul is better than cvt. This is gonna be your car, so test drive these cars. I don't recommend rapid. But as you need automatic, only city and ciaz left, but vento tsi+dsg combination is also superb.

absolutely. I don't understand why people say safe car because of good sheet metal quality.
One can say that City also didn't have them but the seat design in City is so perfect that it doesn't need the adjustable units.
Honda City is Honda City, both these cars are poles apart and City any day deserves 2 lac premium over the Ciaz.
Absolutely. Honda city itself is a brand.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ vinz- if you don't mind extra maintenance charges and comparatively lower resale then rapid is the best choice among any chance segment sedan. Better than the vento just because it will have more discounts [:D]

See buddy, every car has their own edge. But linea, city and vento are way better in petrol avatars. If diesel is your need then rapid and verna are better option. After seeing your priorities, the only car comes with comfort, safety, features, lower maintains cost, and performance is the honda city. Manual version is icing on the cake.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
See buddy, every car has their own edge. But linea, city and vento are way better in petrol avatars. If diesel is your need then rapid and verna are better option. After seeing your priorities, the only car comes with comfort, safety, features, lower maintains cost, and performance is the honda city. Manual version is icing on the cake.
I will be honest with you. My friend bought the 3rd generation honda city and I was pleasantly surprised with the interior quality. It was like a car ahead of its time. Truly remarkable.
But the 4th gen isn't something special. In January I recommend a verna diesel to a friend and he bought the same. I compared the cost and features (middle vatiants) and city was turning out to be more expensive than the verna (after discounts) with so much cost cutting and less features.Believe me the hyundai showroom had a proper fat book explaining the same cost cutting which I told my friend earlier.

The 4th gen is good but not worth the price. Honda turned down the quality but still asking the premium like before. No offence but you seem like a person believing in the old honda quality and word of mouth but the real thing is very much different.
I didn't recommend the Ciaz because the car has flimsy interiors , honda city has evident cost cutting , verna after discounts is vfm.
My friend was getting rapid for 1 lakh less than the verna and that was my first recommendation but his dad didn't want to buy skoda for obvious reasons.

So yeah my recommendation will be the rapid > verna > ciaz > city. City at last just because of the price.

Last edited:

Top Bottom