What Car? How and When?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends, I am Abhisek from Bangalore. This thread is created to solve my new car buying confusions. Just for intro I work at an IT Co. here and I have i10 sportz kappa at my native.

What car?
I am looking for a hatchback and only for weekend work and rides so planning for petrol as my estimated monthly running should be around 400-500kms on an average and mostly in the city. My budget is around 6 max including all. My basic requirements:
- Good FE -13/14 in city on an average would be good.
- Ride comfort
- Good design
- Good quality music system
- Necessary features - Parking sensors - body colored, 4 power windows

I have kept my cousine's Grand i10 for 3months and I really liked the car. But after test driving Tiago 2 times I feel its a brilliant car and is terrific VFM. Tried Maruti Celerio but I personally found it ugly, lacking car feel from inside, too much cost cutting(any maruti suzuki car for that matter), cramped and unworthy. Tested Tiago 2 times and I am amazed by the ride quality,build quality, features, exterior/interiors for the price.

Prices - Bangalore OTR
Tiago XT - 5.4L (without AMC and ext warranty.)
Tiago XZ (w/o alloy) - 5.9L (without AMC and ext warranty.)
Grand i10 sportz - 6.34 (1 airbag), 6.5 (2 airbags) - prices for White color with discounts.

+ XT:
Low price, includes desired features, high arai FE, great music sys, ride quality
- XT:
No Boot lamp. Reliability unknown, real FE seems to be almost same as grand i10, service network, FE indicator highly exagerrated

+ XZ:
W/o alloy still under 6L, mindblowing music system, high arai FE, feature packed, 2 airbags, abs, ride quality
- XZ:
Reliability unknown, real FE, service network, FE indicator highly exagerrated

+Grand i10:
1/2 airbags, features, decent music system, rear ac vents, auto folding orvms, tried tested even personally, smooth engine, under thigh support, probably resale val, kappa engine reliable, service network
- Grand i10:
Bit overpriced, arai FE only 18.9 much lower than Tiago and Celerio's 23-24 range-big con, personally didn't like the brakes much

I am concerned about Tiago's engine getting vocal in the long run. Also real FE in city for both cars is a concern. Especially Grand i10 is a let down at this point.

Also Hyundai showrooms are ready for PID just after paying the booking amount but Tata showroom guys are not.

Also is it wrong time to buy a car? Getting good offers in hyundai but none on Tiago, not even free mats/corporate disc.

What all things I should look into in the buying process? Pls guide experts.

Last edited:
I am looking for a hatchback and only for weekend work and rides so planning for petrol as my estimated monthly running should be around 400-500kms on an average and mostly in the city. My budget is around 6 max including all. My basic requirements:
- Good FE -13/14 in city on an average would be good.
- Ride comfort
- Good design
- Good quality music system
- Necessary features - Parking sensors - body colored, 4 power windows

What all things I should look into in the buying process? Pls guide experts.
Hello AbhisekVerma

I would suggest the Swift based on your requirements. A close friend has a Zxi ad it gives him 13 kmpl on an average in bumper-to-bumper Delhi traffic with AC. The suspension is on the stiffer side but not exactly a concern over decent paved roads. The design is timeless and the music system is above average for this segment. I am not including the unmatched resale value you will get with the Swift 5 years down the line. The figure would be FAR better than what a non-moving Petrol Tata car would fetch. When compared with Grand i10 (I own one), the Swift is a true delight to drive.

If the top-end Swift exceeds your budget, try sourcing a top-end Ritz petrol. It is the same car underneath with a more practical layout. The discounts at this time are huge and it comes out as a better package than the Grand i10.

I see from your post that you're not exactly happy with Maruti cars in general. With a monthly running of 500 odd kms, don't be too concerned about FE. Consider that one tankful of fuel would last you a month, and it doesn't matter if it costs 2000 or 2300, or does it? In that case you should take Maruti cars more seriously. :biggrin:

You can also consider Etios Liva. It comes with bulletproof reliability and offers much better space and comfort (ride quality only, I find the seats of Swift better) than the Swift. Your requirements of parking sensors can be met by spending a mere 5k at the dealership. Power windows are standard fare these days.

It would be better to get the car in the month of December, preferably end-December, to squeeze out the maximum discounts. Tiago isn't very good in terms of sales numbers, so discounts are very much possible. I have not driven the Tiago, so can't really say any positive or negative about it. Try some other Tata dealer in case you really want Tiago.

Regards,
Alpha

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Personally I dont like Swift bulky design. Its very old model and sitting space and boot space is very less for the big size. It feels grossly overpriced to me.
Grand i10 I really like but mileage is concern as even i10 I have doesn't deliver much in that front with the same engine. I am getting 40k offer though. Still price difference wrt Tiago is substantial considering I am looking for long term > 7-8yrs.
Somehow I can't stand liva. It doesn't look good. Has poorest possible interior design and quality.
Tiago is doing good sales of around 4.5 to 5k per month and thats how much Tata is proucing. Interior design and quality is top notch. I am not getting single rupee discount in any Tata dealer because they say demand is good. On all other Tata cars discount is there. I test drove and it feels good. New engines are made by Jlr and feel competitive to competitors. This is the only Tata car I feel is very strong apart from upcoming Hexa and Safari in its Time.

Also to mention around 5.6L there is xto model with xt+2airbags+abs+ebd+ driver seat height adjust+seatbelt pretensioners+adjustable front headrests. This is feeling too lucrative deal to deny [:)]

Also to mention I inquired about ritz but its stopped now. Only one old white color was available at a dealer and 25k discount was there but not interested in stopped model and older manufacturing date.

I agree about FE whatever you mentioned but forgot to add apart from the monthly run I also would be planning long trip atleast once in six months in addition to 500kms running.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Don't think much and buy the tiago. Its better than grand i10 plus cost less. Dont get more confused. And you should get atleast 60k discounts for grand i10 (another 30 if you exchange your car) liva is much better than the grand i10. Just letting you know.

Grand i10 I really like but mileage is concern as even i10 I have doesn't deliver much in that front with the same engine.
Hello AbhisekVerma

Hyundai petrol engines were never known for fuel efficiency. Eon and Santro are classic examples. My Grand i10 is giving close to 12 kmpl for 100% city run, but it is still in the run in period. On the other hand, our Baleno frequents 20 kmpl on highways.

Tiago is doing good sales of around 4.5 to 5k per month and thats how much Tata is proucing
Sales of 5k per month isn't particularly good for this segment. The Swift does 15k per month (excluding Dzire) and the i10 does close to 12k. Moreover, Tiago is the only one bringing volumes for the brand. It affects brand image and resale.

It seems like your mind is set on Tiago. Take a long test drive, push for discounts at different dealers and get one in December. Don't get confused. If you genuinely feel that any other car appeals to your heart, take a test drive and find out for yourself if it is worth considering.

Only one old white color was available at a dealer and 25k discount was there but not interested in stopped model and older manufacturing date.
That's strange. A relative picked up one in 2014 with 65k discount (without any haggling), so I assumed you would be able to get something similar.

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Hello AbhisekVerma

I would suggest the Swift based on your requirements. A close friend has a Zxi ad it gives him 13 kmpl on an average in bumper-to-bumper Delhi traffic with AC. The suspension is on the stiffer side but not exactly a concern over decent paved roads. The design is timeless and the music system is above average for this segment. I am not including the unmatched resale value you will get with the Swift 5 years down the line. The figure would be FAR better than what a non-moving Petrol Tata car would fetch. When compared with Grand i10 (I own one), the Swift is a true delight to drive.

If the top-end Swift exceeds your budget, try sourcing a top-end Ritz petrol. It is the same car underneath with a more practical layout. The discounts at this time are huge and it comes out as a better package than the Grand i10.

I see from your post that you're not exactly happy with Maruti cars in general. With a monthly running of 500 odd kms, don't be too concerned about FE. Consider that one tankful of fuel would last you a month, and it doesn't matter if it costs 2000 or 2300, or does it? In that case you should take Maruti cars more seriously. :biggrin:

You can also consider Etios Liva. It comes with bulletproof reliability and offers much better space and comfort (ride quality only, I find the seats of Swift better) than the Swift. Your requirements of parking sensors can be met by spending a mere 5k at the dealership. Power windows are standard fare these days.

It would be better to get the car in the month of December, preferably end-December, to squeeze out the maximum discounts. Tiago isn't very good in terms of sales numbers, so discounts are very much possible. I have not driven the Tiago, so can't really say any positive or negative about it. Try some other Tata dealer in case you really want Tiago.

Regards,
Alpha
I quite agree with this
BTW OP might also score a certified pre-owned Hyundai i20,i10 very easily with 1 year warranty
Im no fan of Tata cars and Tiago is too new in the market to recommend, the brand still has a long way to go in terms of long term reliability and after sales
Brands such as Toyota,Honda,Hyundai,Maruti are popular for a reason
But since he is bent n Tiago, I only suggest giving it thought and test drive it extensively and take an informed decision and not jump because of interiors and Harman Speaker system(which is a common reason why people are taking notice of Tata off late)
I suggest seeing ownership reviews of numerous Tatas and other cars first

Grand i10 is an OK car, Swift is a proven workhorse
Both are good options overall

Thread Starter #7
I don't like Swift. This car doesn't justify its price imho. Boot space and sitting space is too low. Very old model long in the tooth. Grand i10 and especially Tiago are fresh products, better looking. I agree Tiago long term reliability is still unknown but till now reviews have been positive. Grand i10 is a proven workhorse although hyundai cars lack in mileage compared to maruti. Swift resale value would be more but the considerable high price negates that factor. Everybody knows its easier to resale a cheaper car compared to a more expensive one. Lets see.
For Tiago I have done multiple long test drives and engine, clutch, gearbox feel very slick and unbelievable to accept its from Tata. Noise insulation is good. I am no fan of Tata and accidentally found a Tata Showroom and test drove it. Did lot of research on net, showroom, an owner. Did long test drive in 3 showrooms and I felt its fun to drive, look and is very good vfm and has decent FE so my heart came on Tiago.

Last edited:
You have made a good choice. You should be prudent about what you get for many paid.

Tiago is an excellent choice. And going by your test drive your heart and mind says to buy Tiago. Please go ahead and buy one.

Tata is struggling to deliver the numbers against bookings. I would suggest you to book and stand a chance to get earlier. In case you change your mind you can always cancel.

kkn13

Suspended
Since you liked the Tiago and Grand i10, dont stray from your decision
But I dont get the point you made about Swift boot space and seating, its perfectly fine, Tiago is smaller car and not even in the same segment...........
PS- Im a 6 footer

Grand i10 vs Tiago(Photo comparison) (sorry if links arent allowed, just included for comparison)
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/tata-zica/m/exterior/tata-zica-35.jpg

Tiago back seat-
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/tata-zica/m/interior-rear/tata-zica-08.jpg
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/tata-zica/m/interior-rear/tata-zica-10.jpg
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/tata-zica/m/interior-rear/tata-zica-11.jpg

Front space-
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/tata-zica/m/smaller/tata-zica-12.jpg

Also Tiago has a 3 cylinder engine, whereas Grand i10 and Swift have better 4 cylinder engines
Grand i10 is a bit sluggish for my liking though
Tiago has good quality interiors though

Frankly Grand i10 seats are better than Tiago imho

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
I felt swift is a bit less on rear passenger seat in comparison to its size. The front overhang is too much in swift so it compromises on inside space. Also boot space of new Swift is 204L which is considerably less than Tiago's 242L and even lesser than Grand i10's 256L boot. Pls correct if I am wrong. Swift has excellent 4cyl engine which is better than Tiago and Grand i10 but I personally can't digest why its a segment above. I feel to boost sales of new car and considering its image Tata is selling at low profit. I feel maruti feels its customers are cash cows and takes advantage of Indian herd mentality and overprices its cars blatantly. I don't have anything against Maruti and 800 was my first car. But seeing their cars and prices I am having this genuine feeling. Personally mine.

kkn13

Suspended
I felt swift is a bit less on rear passenger seat in comparison to its size. The front overhang is too much in swift so it compromises on inside space. Also boot space of new Swift is 204L which is considerably less than Tiago's 242L and even lesser than Grand i10's 256L boot. Pls correct if I am wrong. Swift has excellent 4cyl engine which is better than Tiago and Grand i10 but I personally can't digest why its a segment above. I feel to boost sales of new car and considering its image Tata is selling at low profit. I feel maruti feels its customers are cash cows and takes advantage of Indian herd mentality and overprices its cars blatantly. I don't have anything against Maruti and 800 was my first car. But seeing their cars and prices I am having this genuine feeling. Personally mine.
I personally disagree but thats my personal opinion and I wont disrespect yours
Swift boot is taller btw , I understand length is lesser
I still wouldnt recommend Tata over the Grand i10 though personally except for interiors

Thread Starter #12
After analysing lot of cars booked Brown Tiago XZ (since my wife forced me to book XZ )
Still confused on color as from outside I like Brown more. but the inside of red and orange also looks cool. Piano black also looks decent though. But I feel when the car gets old brighter colors like Orange and Red will make the car look older. Brown will not get that old car feel due to very sober metallic color .

I couldn't drive non-abs models in Tiago but the CSC + ABS + EBD feels terrific to handle in the turnings. One of the best I have ever driven. I appreciate that the safety features they have provided in lower Optional models cost only 15-16K and is terrific VFM.

People have not come out of their perception because it is from Tata's stable but you have to feel and drive it to know how good it drives. The price difference between top models of similar models is around 50k-1lakh+. Similar priced cars like Celerio feel a segment below. I am happy with my choice [drive]

Tiago is selling very well actually opposed to what some people believe here and is commanding 2-3 months waiting period and with atleast few more sensible people I see Maruti's number falling below especially for Celerio.

Last edited:
After analysing lot of cars booked Brown Tiago XZ (since my wife forced me to book XZ )
Still confused on color as from outside I like Brown more. but the inside of red and orange also looks cool. Piano black also looks decent though. But I feel when the car gets old brighter colors like Orange and Red will make the car look older. Brown will not get that old car feel due to very sober metallic color .

I couldn't drive non-abs models in Tiago but the CSC + ABS + EBD feels terrific to handle in the turnings. One of the best I have ever driven. I appreciate that the safety features they have provided in lower Optional models cost only 15-16K and is terrific VFM.

People have not come out of their perception because it is from Tata's stable but you have to feel and drive it to know how good it drives. The price difference between top models of similar models is around 50k-1lakh+. Similar priced cars like Celerio feel a segment below. I am happy with my choice [drive]

Tiago is selling very well actually opposed to what some people believe here and is commanding 2-3 months waiting period and with atleast few more sensible people I see Maruti's number falling below especially for Celerio.
Congrats buddy. I haven't driven tiago till date but have driven the Zest and handling is perfect. Do start a ownership review and pour it with pictures.

Thread Starter #14
Congrats buddy. I haven't driven tiago till date but have driven the Zest and handling is perfect. Do start a ownership review and pour it with pictures.
Sure [thumbsup]. But its going to take many days from now due to the waiting period. I have requested dealer to get my car around 20th December due to Dad coming Bangalore that time. Lets see.

Congratulations on your booking. A very sensible choice. Brown would look cool. Just maintain in pristine condition and you'll see it age less then other colours.

Start a thread and update with focus on what others in this segment look for.

Top Bottom