Help Between Ford Aspire Diesel, Toyota Etios VD Platinum & Maruti Ciaz VDi+

Thread Starter #1
hi all TAIgers,
Want to buy a diesel car, budget around 9 lakhs. I have shortlisted the ford aspire tdci titanium variant, platinum etios vd . Now if i want to buy a ciaz vdi+ i can stretch the budget.

So friend, please help me deciding between these cars.

All inputs from you are welcome and all questions are welcome. will be replying to them.

regards

mandar

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: help between ford aspire diesel, toyota platinum etios vd and ciaz vdi+

Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space)

> Monthly Running: (Eg: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms)

> Type of Fuel: (Eg: Diesel)

> For What Purpose: (Eg: Regular Use, Off-Roading)

> Seating Capacity: (Eg: Maximum 5 Adults)
First answer these and then we can recommend.

Thread Starter #4
friends,
this is what i need:

1. Budget: Rs.9lakhs

2. new/used: new

3. i stay in pune. Car will be used mainly in the city only with a highway jaunts max. couple of times a year.

4. priorities a. safety - enough with abs + ebd and airbags

b. comfort - moving up from maruti 800 anything will be comfortable for me, but good should be ok.

c. maintenance - maintenance Lower the better. I don't want to empty my pockets on servicing and parts. Now I have a habit of shelling around 5000Rs. for the servicing of my maruti 800[anger]

d. design - i am not a fanatic for design of the car, nor i am a "look at me" type of a person. so neutral.

e. luggage space - not a necessity, but if its there for 3/4 medium bags it will be ok.

5. Running will be 500/600 per month

6. Fuel: Now irrespective of the monthly running I want to buy a diesel only.

7. will be used by may dad and me. no four/five people space needed. but four should be fine.

So TAIgers these are my priorities. Wish you all could help me in this regard.

As per my first post here, i have dropped the idea of the ciaz diesel, cause its way out of my budget.

So now i am thinking of the ford aspire tdci (titanium) or toyota etios (vd).

regards

mandar

Last edited:
Out of Toyota Etios and Ford Figo aspire Titanium, I would any day suggest the Aspire. It is overall a better car and the service of Ford is no more expensive too.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ mandar- check the aspire diesel then. Etios VD version will cost you 9.5 lakhs. Aspire titanium with extra features than etios costs 8 lakhs. You can get the titanium plus version with 6 airbags and more features for 9 lakhs.

And the cost of service won't be that much for the aspire. I own the new figo diesel and the second service at 10k costed me 1700rs. And the diesel engine is spectacular. Save 1.5 lakhs and buy the aspire.

BTW why your maruti service costs 5k? My santro costs me less than 2k for regular service.

Also any reason why you want to go with diesel only ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
thanks tsivipul and allhyundaicars,
for your suggestions.
dear allhyundaicars,
everytime i go in for the maruti service, oil is changed, coolant is changed every 20000kms, brake fluid is changed at 20000kms, and last time i had gone for the service I was told that maruti is suggesting SYNTHETIC OIL ONLY. So i refused to change the oil at MASS and just did the basic service (cost i dont remember, i think so around 800). i dont remember what costed around rs5000/- but it did cost me that much. it was around 4300/- something.

Later i myself changed the oil filter and oil (DIY).
Now that the car is pretty old (1993 model), i wish to change to a new car. i will be keeping the car, no selling/exchange.

As to why diesel, there is no specific reason, but just for the sake of it. probably have started to like the torque of the diesels. i am used to drive my brother-in-law's qualis.[;)]

my dad is keen on the etios, considering it has (from what i have read on the forums) still lower maintenance costs compared to aspire. and the fact that toyota cars dont need a whole lot of maintenance other than regular services.

regards

mandar

I have owned a Corolla in past with same diesel engine and I must agree that this is one heck of a super reliable, frugal and low maintenance gem.

BUT

My cousin is driving an Ecosport that is already nearing 80k kms. Believe me, not a single issue reported till date and the service bills are also well under control. It goes to 7-7.5k at max with minor extra work other than regular service. Figo and Aspire also have the same engine, this engine is a SOHC with honest and robust mechanicals. So don't worry and go for it, this is a reliable, frugal and very quick responding engine that takes the driving pleasure to a level that an Etios can't even come close to even half of it.

Other option I would have suggested Ameo diesel but going by your maintenance concerns, I have decided to keep it shelved for now.

kkn13

Suspended
IMHO Toyota is Toyota in terms of refinement, maintenance, rock stable reliability and after sales, resale
Ford Aspire has a great engine and excellent car overall but you must keep in mind , Fords have poor resale value and after sales cost and reliability etc is highly subjective but has improved considerably and hence is also worth considering
Etios looks very utilitarian interior and exterior though
Have you considered Vitara Brezza or S-Cross 1.3 ? I think they easily surpass the other available options in this range. I owned a Ritz with the same engine as the above and have used my cousins Vitara Brezza VDI for a week, its very very refined compared to my Ritz and at the same time , maintenance etc is on par with my Ritz. Clutch and steering are also very light and on par with my petrol Honda City even 25,000km after purchase. Average of Vitara Brezza is 19-24kmpl according to MID screen

Even Ecosport is worth checking out but Im not a fan of the engine , looks and interior design

Last edited:
If your need for luggage is limited to 3 or 4 bags, why don't you look at Figo hatch Titanium variant. You could save some valuable money and get all black interiors which is easy to maintain.
1.5 D of Ford is way superior to Toyota's engine on power and tractability. Toyota could last lakhs of kilometers.
Since your priority is City driving look at Figo hatch.

Top Bottom