Petrol SUV Under Rs.12 Lacs with Good Legroom

Thread Starter #1
Hi - I am looking for a petrol SUV under 12 Lacs which should have a very good leg room, as am 6.2" tall and mainly for highway usage with an average monthly running of 400 Kms.

Experts suggestion please.

Thanks,
Udaa

Creta MT could be a good choice. The overall quality and the seating ergonomics are very good. You'll probably like the high revving nature of the 1.6 Petrol as it spins smooth and refined. The Ride quality is superb as well.
I don't see any other feasible alternative. The resale of Petrol Creta would be high compared to any other Petrol SUV in this range.

Thread Starter #3
Creta MT could be a good choice. The overall quality and the seating ergonomics are very good. You'll probably like the high revving nature of the 1.6 Petrol as it spins smooth and refined. The Ride quality is superb as well.
I don't see any other feasible alternative. The resale of Petrol Creta would be high compared to any other Petrol SUV in this range.
Thanks, CRETA E Plus?

kkn13

Suspended
Im 6.3" myself :D
Creta is perfect for your need
I myself am in the market for a new/good used SUV(monocoque only) and after numerous test drives all the way upto X1 and Q3, Ive kept Creta Diesel AT as my safe bet option in case I dont get a good deal in the used market
My only problem with Creta is the price tag for AT Diesel - 18.5L on road, MT and petrol variants are much cheaper otherwise great for a family of tall people like mine, still on my cards though despite the price tag

Oh and I usually dont like Hyundai and Audi steering feedback and posture but Creta is a major exception , Steering feel is very good and AT is smooth

Another VFM option is the S-Cross 1.6 (but its diesel and looks slightly quirky but excellent car and loaded with features)
Vitara Brezza might also get a petrol variant soon apparently
Either way, judging by the waiting times of Creta and Brezza, you probably have ample time in case any new contender comes up
Suzuki Ignis will be Marutis next launch I think though

Last edited:
Hi - I am looking for a petrol SUV under 12 Lacs which should have a very good leg room, as am 6.2" tall and mainly for highway usage with an average monthly running of 400 Kms.

Experts suggestion please.

Thanks,
Udaa
Hello uda2k2

The options worth considering would be -

1. Renault Duster/Nissan Terrano
2. Hyundai Creta
3. Honda BR V

If you are looking for front seat legroom only, then Duster should be on top of your list. The ride quality is 'drive-it-to-believe-it' kind especially over highways and undulations.

BR V is quite spacious inside and has a butter-smooth petrol engine. It comes with extra seats as well. Ideally, in your place, I would have picked this one as I would prefer some exclusivity when spending 12-14 Lacs.

Creta is a premium feeling posh-looking alternative, jack of all trades. But it sure does come at a premium. Not sure if the upper variants will be under your budget.

Regards,
Alpha

kkn13

Suspended
BRV is a rebadged Mobilio and trust me , for tall 6 footers like us, underthigh support is terribly lacking
Creta seating position etc is much better. Honda should have launched HRV/Vezel in India instead of BRV
The front of the car only looks good as do the interiors and IVTEC engine, rest of the car isnt worth it at all

Engine of BRV and Creta are on par with each other in terms of refinement etc

^ All this is coming from a hardcore Honda fanboy (Me) who generally dislikes Hyundai except the Creta,Tucson and Santa Fe.

BTW you might even score a decent pre owned CR-V 2013 for 6-8L
I owned a 2007 CR-V and its general maintenance isnt much more than what I spend on my Honda City
Since your running is low,Id suggest checking this option out
Id try haggling to get the car for cheaper though since new CR-V is also coming out next year
I sold my 2007 CR-V in pristine condition just because it was gonna turn 10 years old next year and resale would fall
Just ensure you get the car checked out by a good Honda dealership before buying
I only spent on tyres (60K) , engine mounts(10k each X 4) and 15k servicing per year in its entire lifetime
It clocked 78,000km before I sold it, still working fine with new owner too

Thread Starter #8
BRV is a rebadged Mobilio and trust me , for tall 6 footers like us, underthigh support is terribly lacking
Creta seating position etc is much better. Honda should have launched HRV/Vezel in India instead of BRV
The front of the car only looks good as do the interiors and IVTEC engine, rest of the car isnt worth it at all

Engine of BRV and Creta are on par with each other in terms of refinement etc

^ All this is coming from a hardcore Honda fanboy (Me) who generally dislikes Hyundai except the Creta,Tucson and Santa Fe.

BTW you might even score a decent pre owned CR-V 2013 for 6-8L
I owned a 2007 CR-V and its general maintenance isnt much more than what I spend on my Honda City
Since your running is low,Id suggest checking this option out
Id try haggling to get the car for cheaper though since new CR-V is also coming out next year
I sold my 2007 CR-V in pristine condition just because it was gonna turn 10 years old next year and resale would fall
Just ensure you get the car checked out by a good Honda dealership before buying
I only spent on tyres (60K) , engine mounts(10k each X 4) and 15k servicing per year in its entire lifetime
It clocked 78,000km before I sold it, still working fine with new owner too
Sorry only new car.

@Uda2k2
Don't think anything and go for BR-V, where Creta is all about bling bling, BR-V is all about driving experience.

When I was conducting the road test of BR-V, it was well evident that BR-V in petrol manual is the best thing with seven seats you can buy at the price. Just push the middle row backwards and you have more than enough legroom to fit an another person with same height as yours behind you. The engine, gearbox, ride, handling, driving position, performance, FE and A.S.S.; BR-V is superior to Creta in all of these. While in terms of in cabin ambience, features and interior quality, the Creta is better. So I would personally suggest you look at the BR-V going by your requirements.

Here is the link to our official review for BR-V
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-v-review-pictures-bold-runabout-vehicle.html

@kkn13
Sirji I have my own set of doubts when it comes to thigh support or seat design etc of BR-V. IMO the BR-V has the best seat design, seating comfort and ergonomics in its segment. My photographer friend is over 6 feet tall and he has sold a Creta itself (he disliked it) but was happy in all the seats of BR-V.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
I dont agree Im afraid
BRV is a rebadged Mobilio with improved interiors and 6 speed gearbox
The seats are a direct modification of the Brio/Mobilio seats which has highly uncomfortable and so thin that if you put a 6 footer in the driver seat and one at the back(my dad and I tried this at the showroom), my knees touched the back of the front seat and my dad in the driver seat could feel it (This situation can arise if 3rd row of seats is used and you cant recline 2nd row or push it back fully so that 3rd row is comfortable)

Agreed Interior design,steering feel of BRV is better and the engine is a gem (I have a City 2010 and just sold a CR-V 2007) and I absolutely love Honda cars but overall the Creta is the better car here for taller people

I dont know about your photographer friend but alot of people I know, also went in for the Creta because of the disappointment after BR-V test drive

Honda should have brought in the HRV instead they modified the Mobilio and improved design,seats,front to compete with the Creta

OP should also check out Ertiga (Engine is slighly underwhelming but very comfortable and VFM car) , Vitara Brezza(long waiting times, diesel engine only but steering and clutch are on par with my Honda City) , S-Cross 1.3 or 1.6 (slightly low seating position but great VFM)- 1.6 is an insane engine with oodles of torque

In the end, its best to test drive and see but personally BR-V still reeks of Mobilio
Side profile and rear of the car are proof

Here a comparison of Creta and BR-V lined up-
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/honda-br-v/m/exterior/honda-br-v-32.jpg

Last edited:
BRV is a rebadged Mobilio with improved interiors and 6 speed gearbox

Honda should have brought in the HRV instead they modified the Mobilio and improved design,seats,front to compete with the Creta
Hello kkn13

I checked out the BR V at a showroom and found the front seats to be good enough. They are not a straight lift from the Brio. The lower back support, bolstering, neck rests are improved and feel a lot better than the other 2 siblings. Under thigh support is also acceptable for a car of this range. And you yourself said that the seats are changed from the Mobilio.

The middle row is also great in terms of space and practicality, but has limited width and acceptable cushioning. The last row is only suited for kids/pet and lacks basic under thigh support as well as headroom and legroom.

The material used in all seat rows is a bit harder than expected, and maybe that has changed your opinion. To be true, I haven't experienced the Creta or Mobilio yet, so can't really compare the BR V with them.

This situation can arise if 3rd row of seats is used and you cant recline 2nd row or push it back fully so that 3rd row is comfortable
So is the Creta going to be any better in such situations when you have 6+ people? :biggrin:

OP should also check out Ertiga (Engine is slighly underwhelming but very comfortable and VFM car
The BR V is a lot better in almost every aspect (except sales numbers - resale) than the Ertiga. With the current discounts, the BR V makes a strong case for itself.

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:
@Kkn
You are free to disagree and put your opinion, it's just that we both can agree to disagree with each other.

Well, I leave on the OP to visit dealerships, TD and decide which car is more suitable to him. BR-V has its own set of merits and Creta has its own. All I say is "drive it to believe it", my opinion is fixed and would suggest the OP to go and thoroughly check the available options as per his requirements.

kkn13

Suspended
@Alpha Just a few improvements isnt enough
Sit and drive both and also drive a Honda City , youll see why I dont recommend the BR-V

Like @TSIVipul said, I posted my strong opinion on the BR-V , you did too, its upto the OP now to decide for himself

PS- Ive owned nearly every Honda and Maruti car right now and these are my views after the same
I generally recommend Hondas but in the case of BR-V and Mobilio, they dont have the true Honda feel (except engine and instrument cluster). A simple look at the Honda City will show that. It costs lesser and feels more upmarket and comfortable. I felt this in the Creta personally

would suggest the OP to go and thoroughly check the available options as per his requirements.
This I strongly agree with

Thread Starter #15
Yes i agree, a big no for BRV.. Moreover am not specific about 7 seater, 5 seater should be good enough for me....so in that case Creta, Duster, Terrano....which one would be the best bet?

Top Bottom