Maruti Suzuki Ertiga: Petrol vs Diesel

Thread Starter #1
Hi. I live abroad and visit India only like once in 6 Months. I am looking to buy a ertiga in India, which I can use when on my holidays. However, I am a bit confused whether I should by a pertol ertiga or a diesel one.
I would be probably making around 10,000 kms in a year. I thought initially to buy a diesel varient, but I am told that the diesel cars need to be in constant use. If I use it for a month and then lock up in a garage for next 5 months, there would be problems with the diesel engine and would only end up in spending more on its maintenance as it will start to have problems due to no usage for 5 months in row. Thats what taking me back buying a diesel varient. (Is this true by any chance).
I would appreciate the experts give their opinions and thoughts on this matter.
So any ideas or input welcome.

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Diesel or petrol car

I dunno fully about the locking up part but I owned a ritz with the same 1.3 MJD as the Ertiga, no difference in maintenance etc at all with respect to my Honda City
Ive locked them both up for upto 2 months while travelling abroad and not faced a single issue with either
The 1.3 MJD is a gem of an engine though and is maintenance and stress free
Maybe other NRIs here might be able to elaborate regarding not using for 5 months

A good option(petrol or diesel) will be giving a car key to a local trustworthy friend and asking him to check on the car once a month just in case

Last edited:

Hi. I live abroad and visit India only like once in 6 Months. I am looking to buy a ertiga in India, which I can use when on my holidays. However, I am a bit confused whether I should by a pertol ertiga or a diesel one.
I would be probably making around 10,000 kms in a year. I thought initially to buy a diesel varient, but I am told that the diesel cars need to be in constant use. If I use it for a month and then lock up in a garage for next 5 months, there would be problems with the diesel engine and would only end up in spending more on its maintenance as it will start to have problems due to no usage for 5 months in row. Thats what taking me back buying a diesel varient. (Is this true by any chance).
Hi Ramakant,
With 5 months of unused garage time, would you not be better off with rental cars during your vacation to India? Not sure if you have already thought about it but wanted to add this point.

Thread Starter #4
I dunno fully about the locking up part but I owned a ritz with the same 1.3 MJD as the Ertiga, no difference in maintenance etc at all with respect to my Honda City
Ive locked them both up for upto 2 months while travelling abroad and not faced a single issue with either
The 1.3 MJD is a gem of an engine though and is maintenance and stress free
Maybe other NRIs here might be able to elaborate regarding not using for 5 months

A good option(petrol or diesel) will be giving a car key to a local trustworthy friend and asking him to check on the car once a month just in case
Hi, what I meant was due to being settled abroad, I only travel to India once in 6 months. I normally stay in India for a month and go back to Scotland. I do have a petrol vehicle now which is not used for the period when I am not in India ie: 5 months. Then I use it again for a month when I return to India. So you suggest that your diesel car had no problems when not used for 2 months when you were travelling. So I think then it probably wont be an issue to buy a diesel Ertiga.

Hi Ramakant,
With 5 months of unused garage time, would you not be better off with rental cars during your vacation to India? Not sure if you have already thought about it but wanted to add this point.
I did think about it. But I come home to India twice a year and stay for a month at a time. In my town there are no car rental services which I am aware of. And obviously we were looking for a more comfortable family car. Thats why we are trying to do some research before we commit to buy the ertiga. Thanks for input anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did think about it. But I come home to India twice a year and stay for a month at a time. In my town there are no car rental services which I am aware of. And obviously we were looking for a more comfortable family car. Thats why we are trying to do some research before we commit to buy the ertiga. Thanks for input anyway.
I have to agree with you, it may take a few years for rental car market to spread across our country. And don't worry about comfort, even Innova's are already on rental fleets. You might get more responses if you could post this question in Ertiga official review thread and ownership threads. All the best!

kkn13

Suspended

I have to agree with you, it may take a few years for rental car market to spread across our country. And don't worry about comfort, even Innova's are already on rental fleets. You might get more responses if you could post this question in Ertiga official review thread and ownership threads. All the best!
I understand his scenario to an extent
I also own a house and car in my hometown and I visit there only every 3 months but my car there is a petrol Aveo
I also travel abroad extensively for long periods of 1-2 months once a year and havent faced an issue with my cars as such

My hometown despite being a Tier 2 city has loads of issues with rental cars and pricing etc
The drivers are rash and not up to the mark/convenience

Hi, what I meant was due to being settled abroad, I only travel to India once in 6 months. I normally stay in India for a month and go back to Scotland. I do have a petrol vehicle now which is not used for the period when I am not in India ie: 5 months. Then I use it again for a month when I return to India. So you suggest that your diesel car had no problems when not used for 2 months when you were travelling. So I think then it probably wont be an issue to buy a diesel Ertiga.

I understand where you are coming from, I didnt misunderstand you, Im just not very sure about 6 months part
max ive left my cars is 2-3 months usually
But I dont think there will be any adverse differences , I still recommend asking a local trustworthy buddy to start the car from time to time though, I myself have done this for my car in my hometown when I wasnt gonna visit for a long time

BTW you might also score a deal on the older gen Innova , I got mine for 14L just after Crysta
IMHO its worth the extra 3-4L if possible because of extra space etc
Im actually planning on getting an Ertiga or used Innova myself to replace my hometown car

Last edited:
Hai
I purchased honda amaze diesel recently
After that I came to know that water enter into engine through air intake valve when we ride in rainy. Is it true, can you explain

kkn13

Suspended
Hai
I purchased honda amaze diesel recently
After that I came to know that water enter into engine through air intake valve when we ride in rainy. Is it true, can you explain
Wrong thread
This can happen to any car, you need to be in 1st gear and mildly release clutch while accelerating continuously without fail
if you stop accelerating, car will 100% stall and damage engine, worst is to start engine again in such a scenario
Just dont shift gears, you may use clutch and brake with left foot but dont stop accelerating, above 2-3k rpm is a must

Hi Ramakantk,

I suggest to go for petrol ZXi variant or Vxi(O) Automatic. As you have to cover less then 1k/Month (10k/12 month ) so spending more then 1L price difference is not feasible. i am owning Diesel ertiga & its a very comfortable muv (when used as 5 seater) & best fit for semi urban area as have decent ground clearance too. driving is car like & stable on highways too (thanks to long wheelbase).

you can consider VXi automatic with optional airbags & ABS. this will have all needed features with comfort of automatic.

kkn13

Suspended
Hydro lock is nothing to do with 1st gear acceleration to avoid it or shifting gears, its of a different phenomenon.

-suryaputhra
Not really
1st gear acceleration to prevent stalling can prevent it to an extent..............

Hi Ramakantk,

I suggest to go for petrol ZXi variant or Vxi(O) Automatic. As you have to cover less then 1k/Month (10k/12 month ) so spending more then 1L price difference is not feasible. i am owning Diesel ertiga & its a very comfortable muv (when used as 5 seater) & best fit for semi urban area as have decent ground clearance too. driving is car like & stable on highways too (thanks to long wheelbase).

you can consider VXi automatic with optional airbags & ABS. this will have all needed features with comfort of automatic.
I dont quite agree, Petrol one doesnt feel as punchy as 1.3 MJD and its Autobox is an old slushbox thats not even better than the AMT units found on the Dzire,Wagon R AMT

kkn13

Suspended
I did a bit of digging around for you
Someone I know got an Ertiga and an Innova(not Crysta,one of the last batches of older gen) recently for a sweet discount for his company
Innova was 14.4L on road inclusive of everything in Mumbai(Mid variant G)
Ertiga was 10L fully loaded with accessories and extended warranty thrown in(ZDI)

Back to topic
@Ramakantp
Close your eyes and go for the petrol version of Ertiga. A petrol car is a petrol car. Period.

Neither your running nor so long 'locked up' duration suit the diesel, get the petrol and live a happier life. You will have a car with a livelier engine, lighter clutch, better NVH and yes; it will come a lac cheaper too.

Hello Ramkantk

To be honest, I found the engine of Ertiga petrol to be a letdown in an otherwise value for money package. If you are not looking for outright performance, then there are high chances that you will come out impressed as the Ertiga is more suited to sedate than spirited driving in its petrol avatar. If you are looking at it as a cheaper Innova-alternative, the Zxi variant is a sweet deal considering what it offers at a fraction of the price.

Considering your 10000 km annual usage and a different usage pattern, a petrol powered vehicle would be your best bet. The initial savings (>1 Lac during purchase) will fund your additional fuel cost for a few years at least. The breakeven point will be close to 4 years I think, which is not bad at all.

I would suggest you to do a long (read: 20-30 km long) test drive of the Ertiga petrol whenever you are in the country and confirm that the Ertiga meets your expectations both in terms of drivability and space.

Regards,
Alpha

Top Bottom