Tata Safari Dicor LX or Storme LX Refresh on a Lean Budget?

Thread Starter #1
Dear friends,

I am looking to buy a proper SUV near 11 Lacs OTR, drove the Scorpio twice ,did not like the interiors, space and power At this budget a Dicor or Storme LX seems to be the best bet, Storme EX being too expensive is out of question. Here's what i am looking for:

- A comfortable ride usually with a max of 4 people on board.
- A long ownership, somewhere around 8 years minimum.
- Very few running, max. 5000 Kms a year since i already have a daily commute hatch.
- Lots of space and road presence.
- Black color, no other thought.

On a personal note i really like the looksand presence of Safari Dicor and i have heard that Storme is an improved product. Since my running is going to be very less, should i buy a storme by paying a premium of 1.2 lacs.

Also, i have not seen many Storme LX (refresh) on the road, nor did i find any images of the same or ownership reports. I really do not want to spend a lot and Dicor LX fits the budget perfectly.

People say its not worth going for a Storme LX, EX is a better proposition but its way out of my budget. Is their any improvements in the now selling Dicor, does it have many issues? I always keep my cars regularly serviced and in pristine condition.

Looking for your expert inputs please.

Last edited:
Re: Safari Dicor LX or Storme LX refresh on a lean budget

Dear friends,

I am looking to buy a proper SUV near 11 Lacs OTR, drove the Scorpio twice ,did not like the interiors, space and power At this budget a Dicor or Storme LX seems to be the best bet, Storme EX being too expensive is out of question. Here's what i am looking for:

- A comfortable ride usually with a max of 4 people on board.
- A long ownership, somewhere around 8 years minimum.
- Very few running, max. 5000 Kms a year since i already have a daily commute hatch.
- Lots of space and road presence.
- Black color, no other thought.

On a personal note i really like the looksand presence of Safari Dicor and i have heard that Storme is an improved product. Since my running is going to be very less, should i buy a storme by paying a premium of 1.2 lacs.

Also, i have not seen many Storme LX (refresh) on the road, nor did i find any images of the same or ownership reports. I really do not want to spend a lot and Dicor LX fits the budget perfectly.

People say its not worth going for a Storme LX, EX is a better proposition but its way out of my budget. Is their any improvements in the now selling Dicor, does it have many issues? I always keep my cars regularly serviced and in pristine condition.

Looking for your expert inputs please.
I think it's worth pursuing the refreshed storme LX if you can get hold of one! What you gain over the Dicor is new gen chassis with gains in handling, better turning circle its equal to an Innova and a wonderfully tuned 150ps engine which gives great mileage. My friend bought one in Aug 2015 and he gets 14+ easily at 110-120 kph.
Then the best part is the ultra light clutch in Storme which is a self adjusting type its lighter than some petrol cars and will remain the same through its life.
In Dicor the only advantage is the better and supportive front seats.

Go for strome Lx. it's simply just a better safari.

strome LX has better handling and brakes. The 148bhp engine is better in terms of NVH compared to the 138bhp dicor. strome has a short truning radius. that's said it still retains the safari gene. strome has a slightly stiffer ride compared to dicor. Dicor is way too soft.

I know my suggestion may not be inline with your requirements however,

I would strongly suggest Storme EX why because Tata have killed the storme LX

It had same size wheels available in EX and VX
It had the side steps
It had 3rd row jump seats
It had ABS and EBD
It had the music system with blue tooth.

The current storme does not have any of these AFAIK So dont go for storme lx. go for EX yes you will have to stretch your budget but that will be a great buy trust me

Apart from that what you will also get is
1. AC on roof
2. Rear wash wipe
3. Fog lamps
4. Harman music system

What I would also suggest is you first see the LX in person and only if you are satisfied go for that car. Other than the above mentioned lacunae storme LX is good to buy. But still would suggest you increase your budget some how, and go for EX.

Last edited:

My vote will be to the Storme, Has good interiors, the Dicor is said to have too much of issues where I'd seen and want to share one of them here, When we had taken Varun's Storme to the Alignment guy, he said Dicor is the most toughest one to align and he refuses to take anymore Dicors to task whereas the Storme isn't that complicated.

Good thing is the Storme has 4 wheel discs and driving dynamics has improved a lot than the Dicor.

Just a second thought on your opinion with buying Safari.

If you are thinking for a road presence as first priority then SAFARI could be first on your list. But for other things buying a lower variant do not makes a big sense.

For Space, Comfortable ride, handling in city traffic, agile on highway Safari is not a great deal, instead you can think of RENAULT DUSTER 110 RXZ or RXZ AMT. This will tick all the requirements except one - "The Road Presence" [as compared to SAFARI].

SAFARI is big hefty car with comes in a category of SUV. While a SUV should be equipped 4x4 with ESP+TCS and multi-drive mode features. So if you are buying a SUV without all those features, then its like a big box with just powerful engine. And thus the lower variants of SAFARI are.

Now a days trend for buying car is changing rapidly, so if you are going to keep the car for next 8 year than, you should think of car with advance features. For example think 8 years back definition for car does not include ABS+Airbag, but now buyers are much aware about safety and advance technology.

My choice in case you are going to keep the car for next 8 years then Renault Duster 110 RXZ AMT. But if you are specially thinking for SUV character then Duster 110 AWD or Safari STROME VX 4x4. This will increase your budget but worth buying.

Top Bottom