Mid-Size Soft Roader Dilemma

Thread Starter #1

kkn13

Suspended
Hi, this is my first time posting here.
I have been a keen, silent viewer of the forums for a quite some time.
My family has been looking for a soft roader thats easy on the pocket(buying and maintaining) and should offer comfort and luxury for the price.
Ladder on frame SUVs are probably out (except the Endeavour Maybe in the future as a highway vehicle to replace our Innova) because of apparent bouncy ride in city traffic and roll on the highway.
We had a Crv which we sold a while back , absolutely lovely vehicle and ticked all boxes except fuel economy(which is why we bought the Innova).
After that we have tested a whole load of SUVs and crossovers all the way upto the Germans [;)] but decided against it because for the price of a fully loaded X1 or Q3 + maintenance, we can get a new CRV + Endeavour for a little more[lol][frustration].

Our options are
1. Current Fortuner (not keen because of bouncy ride,size,dated interiors and we already have a good Innova)
2. Next gen Fortuner (Yet to arrive-next month, too large)
3. Current CRV(pricey in new and used market, lack of features like push to start etc, no biggie though because the rest of the car is really piece of mind for us)
4. CRV Facelift(No idea when itll launch )
5. 2018 CRV (Too long a gap with our current garage)
6. Endeavour (bit pricey, questionable resale value and maintainance, too large but Dad and I secretly plot to buy one in future anyways :D )

So what are your thoughts, dear car Gurus :)
Fuel Economy and Maintenance cost are no deal breakers if its value for money and if it offers piece of mind with good ride quality
We are only fussy about comfort, engine as such

Thread Starter #2

kkn13

Suspended
BUMP
I also filled out the template, please any opinions?
> Your Budget: (Eg: Rs.7 – 8 Lakh)
Upto 30L if nothing better in the new or used market for lesser

> New or Used: (Eg: New Car)
Whichever gives me a better deal and piece of mind car

> Your Location: (Eg: New Delhi, India)
Mumbai

> Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space)
All I guess but main thing is suspension shouldnt be bouncy, shouldnt feel too heavy a car or have a notchy gearbox

> Monthly Running: (Eg: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms)
Low running within the city and ocassional highway long drives maybe 2-3 times a year(we own other cars for regular use etc)

> Type of Fuel: (Eg: Diesel)
No preference

> For What Purpose: (Eg: Regular Use, Off-Roading)
City use and ocassional highway but not as an everyday car I suppose

> Seating Capacity: (Eg: Maximum 5 Adults)
5-7
comfort is priority

> Type of Segment: (Eg: Sedan or MUV)
Soft roader SUV with low CG to prevent bouncy ride
No sedans or hatchbacks or psuedo hatchbacks

Is the Tucson worth checking out?
Also considering Creta but its too pricey and small for the segment imho

If you'd previously owned Innova and say you need a comfortable one, I can recommend The Crysta itself, because in that current range the Crysta offers best attributes that you have mentioned.

The top of the line variant with 2.8 ltr would do well for you I suppose, else it will be the new fortuner.

If you'd previously owned Innova and say you need a comfortable one, I can recommend The Crysta itself, because in that current range the Crysta offers best attributes that you have mentioned.

The top of the line variant with 2.8 ltr would do well for you I suppose, else it will be the new fortuner.
+1. I know a second Innova might not sound too much of an attractive option, but once you are spoilt by the comfort of that car, its hard to switch the another car.

+1. I know a second Innova might not sound too much of an attractive option, but once you are spoilt by the comfort of that car, its hard to switch the another car.
There's huge difference in Innova and Crysta, the Crysta is huge and has well laid out piano black interiors than the sober ones in the Innova. Also I felt the Crysta looks luxurious, doesn't carry the cab image nor cabbies won't come to this territory as their purpose is served with the former one only.

Thread Starter #6

kkn13

Suspended

There's huge difference in Innova and Crysta, the Crysta is huge and has well laid out piano black interiors than the sober ones in the Innova. Also I felt the Crysta looks luxurious, doesn't carry the cab image nor cabbies won't come to this territory as their purpose is served with the former one only.
Thanks alot for your replies guys !!
Our Innova is 6 months old and we actually bought it over the Crysta because of pricing and value for money differences
We checked out the crysta but couldnt justify the higher costs just for the interior quality , the 2.8 is no doubt a good engine but a bit overkill in the Innova

I also got an offer for an older Mercedes ML(2009) in good condition, would it make sense getting that? or should we try for a used X3, older X5 or current CRV(2013) ?

Fortuner is out because the current one is quite bouncy and rough for my parents and since we already have an Innova which shares alot with the fortuner, we arent keen on the T-Fort

The endeavour is a very very tempting car but the sheer size is too much for city use

I saw the X1 too and its very good but price and maintenance is whats bothering me
Any decent alternatives in the used market? preferably something with a badge worth sporting

Thanks alot for your replies guys !!
Our Innova is 6 months old and we actually bought it over the Crysta because of pricing and value for money differences
We checked out the crysta but couldnt justify the higher costs just for the interior quality , the 2.8 is no doubt a good engine but a bit overkill in the Innova

I also got an offer for an older Mercedes ML(2009) in good condition, would it make sense getting that? or should we try for a used X3, older X5 or current CRV(2013) ?

Fortuner is out because the current one is quite bouncy and rough for my parents and since we already have an Innova which shares alot with the fortuner, we arent keen on the T-Fort

The endeavour is a very very tempting car but the sheer size is too much for city use

I saw the X1 too and its very good but price and maintenance is whats bothering me
Any decent alternatives in the used market? preferably something with a badge worth sporting
3. Current CRV(pricey in new and used market, lack of features like push to start etc, no biggie though because the rest of the car is really piece of mind for us)
Oh well then I'd vouch for the CRV itself as it meets all your parameters and don't worry about push start, it's not really the one which makes biiig difference in your feature list when compared to others and you also say comfort is top priority, then why emphasize on feature list? CRV is reliable, has good posh looks, Honda engines no denying their performance, petrol as you drive less than 2000 kms.

Maybe you could give a look at Santa Fe.

Last edited:
Buying a USED car with brands like Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, VOLVO, could be little gambling, considering maintenance. but if you are lucky to get a very well maintained then its a big luck. Coz for little spare it cost much if you compare it with INNOVA for instance.

Although these vehicle are much tougher than and passes most safety norms, so the durability is much better than cars below 15Lac.

Endeavor 3.2 AMT AWD is much better car to have at that price. But since you are much concerned about body roll and bumpy ride, then let me tell you on thing; the big hefty body with lots of ground clearance will bounce a little or more on bumps and bad roads [provided adaptive suspension is not available].

Apart from that if you are not lean toward SUV then you can think of VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia/Superb could be a better choice as new car.

Thread Starter #9

kkn13

Suspended
Buying a USED car with brands like Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, VOLVO, could be little gambling, considering maintenance. but if you are lucky to get a very well maintained then its a big luck. Coz for little spare it cost much if you compare it with INNOVA for instance.

Although these vehicle are much tougher than and passes most safety norms, so the durability is much better than cars below 15Lac.

Endeavor 3.2 AMT AWD is much better car to have at that price. But since you are much concerned about body roll and bumpy ride, then let me tell you on thing; the big hefty body with lots of ground clearance will bounce a little or more on bumps and bad roads [provided adaptive suspension is not available].

Apart from that if you are not lean toward SUV then you can think of VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia/Superb could be a better choice as new car.
Thanks for your reply
we owned a Superb until last year actually and Skoda still gives us nightmares, no regrets though, overall the car was fantastic :D
But my parents want something more crossover like the CRV, Q5 etc
I understand maintenance of a BMW,Mercedes,Audi etc could be a gamble but by how much and to what extent is the main question
Is there any way of getting a rough idea of reliability and service costs etc? Im contemplating getting an OBD Scanner to check for error codes if we take the used car route
Any suggestions?

Sorry for lots of questions [embarass]

Oh well then I'd vouch for the CRV itself as it meets all your parameters and don't worry about push start, it's not really the one which makes biiig difference in your feature list when compared to others and you also say comfort is top priority, then why emphasize on feature list? CRV is reliable, has good posh looks, Honda engines no denying their performance, petrol as you drive less than 2000 kms.

Maybe you could give a look at Santa Fe.
Santa Fe is not available for test drive in Mumbai for some reason [frustration]
We have shortlisted the CRV but only problem is the quoted prices are pretty high(24-26L for a 3 year old one whereas a brand new one costs 30-32L) and once again CRV test drive isnt available from the showrooms I checked [clap]

Im not really worried about CRV maintenance and cost but I need to check out the new steering and transmission which is apparently very different from the outgoing model which we owned

Anyone has experienced the Santa fe and CRV? Id love some insight/comparison

Is X1 worth it according to you guys?
I know its a bit pricey given the size etc and it lacks reverse camera[surprise] (Does after market fitment void warranty for these brands) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #10

kkn13

Suspended
UPDATE:-
(@ mods sorry for not multi-quoting earlier)

My dad and I have finally narrowed down to 3 cars after discussion-
1. CRV (used or discounted new)
2. Creta(new)
3. Ecosport(used or discounted new but mostly new only because of low price difference)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi, this is my first time posting here.

6. Endeavour (bit pricey, questionable resale value and maintainance, too large but Dad and I secretly plot to buy one in future anyways
Endeavour is a very nice machine. I have had a recent experience of it and I can assure you, it performed really well. It is elegant and feature rich from inside too and now, Ford has become very pro-active in regards to customer's feedback and their car's service too. They have this service cost calculator which gives you the idea of how much the particular servicing would cost. Give a shot to Endeavour.

My dad and I have finally narrowed down to 3 cars after discussion-
1. CRV (used or discounted new)
2. Creta(new)
3. Ecosport(used or discounted new but mostly new only because of low price difference)
As I said above try out the Ford Endeavour and if in case you still feel otherwise then of the 3 listed, I would say go for Creta as the interiors of Ecosport are bit cramped.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #12

kkn13

Suspended
Endeavour is a very nice machine. I have had a recent experience of it and I can assure you, it performed really well. It is elegant and feature rich from inside too and now, Ford has become very pro-active in regards to customer's feedback and their car's service too. They have this service cost calculator which gives you the idea of how much the particular servicing would cost. Give a shot to Endeavour.

As I said above try out the Ford Endeavour and if in case you still feel otherwise then of the 3 listed, I would say go for Creta as the interiors of Ecosport are bit cramped.

Regards

Akash
Thanks for your reply [:)]
We dropped the Endeavour and Fortuner because of sheer size for now
Creta,used CRV are on our minds right now
Im not too thrilled with the Creta because of price and size
It drives pretty decent though and steering isnt extremely lifeless like other Hyundais

Im thinking about going in for a used CRV or buying a non-AVN 2.4L CRV and adding a 50k Android Auto HU by Pioneer instead of paying 1.5L for AVN model
Any deals on a new CRV? We dont mind paying a bit more over a used one(upto 26-27L is also ok I guess)
I dont like the 2017 CRV that was recently unveiled

I guess you are confused too much with the very less of your shortlisted options, Will tell you the comfort that CRV gives, you won't get in the Creta or Ecosport, I haven't sat or driven any of those, but CRV is above all the lowest options you are considering.

Suggest you check the new one out in the showrooms, take a TD alongside Santa FE by digging out to different dealers in your city and make a decision, also keep a strict tab on the budget fixed.

Thread Starter #14

kkn13

Suspended
I guess you are confused too much with the very less of your shortlisted options, Will tell you the comfort that CRV gives, you won't get in the Creta or Ecosport, I haven't sat or driven any of those, but CRV is above all the lowest options you are considering.

Suggest you check the new one out in the showrooms, take a TD alongside Santa FE by digging out to different dealers in your city and make a decision, also keep a strict tab on the budget fixed.
Yeah tell me about it !! [lol]
Our budget was all the way upto BMW X3 etc too after the lacklustre Creta test drive shortly after we sold our CRV
Looks like CRV fills a huge gap in our market except for the petrol bit

Cant find CRVs and Santa Fes for test drive anywhere, a couple of dealerships told me they just sold their TD cars in the used market and that I can book the car without TD etc [clap]

Looks like I can take a TD of a used CRV to get a feel
Apparently alot has changed from 3rd to 4th gen

Btw a bit off topic but I heard CRV and Santa fe are CANBUS cars like the Germans and hence headunit upgrade etc requires a harness and convertors?

Last edited:
Yeah tell me about it !!
Our budget was all the way upto BMW X3 etc too after the lacklustre Creta test drive shortly after we sold our CRV
Looks like CRV fills a huge gap in our market except for the petrol bit
Cant find CRVs and Santa Fes for test drive anywhere, a couple of dealerships told me they just sold their TD cars in the used market and that I can book the car without TD etc [clap]
Looks like I can take a TD of a used CRV to get a feel
Apparently alot has changed from 3rd to 4th gen
Then it's time you hunt for the good one in the used market, test drive them and come to a decision is all I can say i think so [roll]

Btw a bit off topic but I heard CRV and Santa fe are CANBUS cars like the Germans and hence headunit upgrade etc requires a harness and convertors?
For that matter all the cars that comes with OE ICE needs it, An audio shop with expert hands will do that job for you.

Top Bottom