Suggest a 7-Seater Under Rs.15 Lakh: Mahindra Scorpio S8 or XUV500 W4?

Thread Starter #1
Hello dear friends.
After a 6 years with Hyundai Santro GLS (Petrol+Lpg) i decide to buy a 7 seater car for my family.It will be driven by only me with decent driving method.

Requirments :

* 7 seater (5+2)
* Better road presence
* Low cost to maintain
* Decent Fuel efficiency
* A little featured
* Not a paper body like pannels.Need a solid build
* Comfort ride.(must better than Santro)
* No rattle sound

Suggest me a SUV for my requirments.eagerly waiting.

Re: Suggestions Needed for a 7 Seater under 15 lakhs. Scorpio s8 or XUV W4.

Hello dear friends.
After a 6 years with Hyundai Santro GLS (Petrol+Lpg) i decide to buy a 7 seater car for my family.It will be driven by only me with decent driving method.

Requirments :

* 7 seater (5+2)
* Better road presence
* Low cost to maintain
* Decent Fuel efficiency
* A little featured
* Not a paper body like pannels.Need a solid build
* Comfort ride.(must better than Santro)
* No rattle sound

Suggest me a SUV for my requirments.eagerly waiting.
Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com old boy. With the parameters you have mentioned, I suggest you can incline towards XUV as I personally felt ride quality in scorpio little unsettled (Especially the last row).

Base version looks very basic IMO, if you can stretch budget for W6, would be ideal fit.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I suggest you hold a wee bit more for Tata Hexa. Its close to launch and seems like a nice product.
Otherwise XUV seems better option of the two. W4 does not make much sense. Better save up for w6 or w8. Thats where the fun in XUV is.

As you have owned an Hyundai Santro for many years Scorpio might be easy for you to manoever with its turning radius and Scorpio will be much suitable as it is more compact and more driveable like the Santro as the length is much shorter than the XUV 5oo.

Still consider Safari Storme Too.

Sorry for the late advice. I am not sure why you have narrowed down on Scorpio / XUV. There have been enough suggestions for you & for comparison. Length is not a major issue (Scorpio is 4493, XUV is 4585), it is just 10cms more. IMO, Scorpio's NVH is better than that of XUV.

If you ignore the road pressence parameters, you have Ertiga, Mobilio, BRV, and Lodgy. If you can do away with that parameter, my recommendation could be to go for Ertiga, although not very solidly built. By the by, Scorpio got zero star ratings for that solid built!

My main reason not to include TUV 300 or Safari Storme is the side facing jump seats for the last row. Everyone (including children) will complain to go there & it will always look like a punishment to the last row seaters.

I hope I have not confused you.

In my opinion though, your go to vehicle should be XUV (although I own a Scorpio NG).

Go to the showrooms. Test drive each vehicle. Go with your heart. You will never regret.

Note: Both my daughters used to have car sickness. Innumerable number of times in WagonR & Ertiga. Zero (very rarely) times in Scorpio, due to air-i-ness in the cabin. But that can't be said about the bad roads. The faster you are on pot holes, the better the occupants. The slower you are on speedbreakers, the better the occupants feel. By the by, I don't consider the 3rd row passengers as occupants. They will get thrown around anyway (in Scorpio)!

Thread Starter #6
Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com old boy. With the parameters you have mentioned, I suggest you can incline towards XUV as I personally felt ride quality in scorpio little unsettled (Especially the last row).

Base version looks very basic IMO, if you can stretch budget for W6, would be ideal fit.
Thank you Vishwas.
**Manual Air Conditioner is not a big issue.Because my Santro also with a Manual AC.
**TPMS is also not a big deal breaker.
**Driver Seat adjustments is also not a big issue.
**Re-ORVM is also not a must needed feature.
**Auto Headlamps is not a basic need.
**Steering controls and voice commands also not a deal breaker.I can live without them. [:D]

But a only serious issue about the rear parking sensors.According to the xuv design the rear window is too small to see in the car.So it need to be upgraded.
I have a two options,
1* Simple rear view camer and display in IRVM.
2* Changing the 2 din sony or pioneer Head unit with rear camera.

Any commends Vishwas ???

I suggest you hold a wee bit more for Tata Hexa. Its close to launch and seems like a nice product.
Otherwise XUV seems better option of the two. W4 does not make much sense. Better save up for w6 or w8. Thats where the fun in XUV is.
Thank you BHVM.When TATA HEXA will be launch ? Any official or unofficial notifications ?

As you have owned an Hyundai Santro for many years Scorpio might be easy for you to manoever with its turning radius and Scorpio will be much suitable as it is more compact and more driveable like the Santro as the length is much shorter than the XUV 5oo.

Still consider Safari Storme Too.
Thank you Mithra,

Tata Safari or xuv ?? which one is more fuel efficient with decent driving on highways ? Someone says TATA Safari giver 9-10 only with AC under 80kmph ?

Sorry for the late advice. I am not sure why you have narrowed down on Scorpio / XUV. There have been enough suggestions for you & for comparison. Length is not a major issue (Scorpio is 4493, XUV is 4585), it is just 10cms more. IMO, Scorpio's NVH is better than that of XUV.

If you ignore the road pressence parameters, you have Ertiga, Mobilio, BRV, and Lodgy. If you can do away with that parameter, my recommendation could be to go for Ertiga, although not very solidly built. By the by, Scorpio got zero star ratings for that solid built!

My main reason not to include TUV 300 or Safari Storme is the side facing jump seats for the last row. Everyone (including children) will complain to go there & it will always look like a punishment to the last row seaters.

I hope I have not confused you.

In my opinion though, your go to vehicle should be XUV (although I own a Scorpio NG).

Go to the showrooms. Test drive each vehicle. Go with your heart. You will never regret.

Note: Both my daughters used to have car sickness. Innumerable number of times in WagonR & Ertiga. Zero (very rarely) times in Scorpio, due to air-i-ness in the cabin. But that can't be said about the bad roads. The faster you are on pot holes, the better the occupants. The slower you are on speedbreakers, the better the occupants feel. By the by, I don't consider the 3rd row passengers as occupants. They will get thrown around anyway (in Scorpio)!
Thank you Casual Surfer.

Really thank you for a detailed and more mature advice.
in the MPV class Ertiga is close to my heart.Mobilio or lodgy is not soo good from outside in IMO.Ertiga looks family car and miniature of Innova.
But the Road presence is more important brother.Top end Ertiga costs nearly 12 lakhs.At the same time Ertiga zdi+ have a very minimal advance features.At the same time Mahindra XUV w4 priced 14.7 lakhs.We can get XUV with projectors,DRLs and massive Road presense....

My final question about XUV vs Ertiga..
Which is more Reliable ?
Which is more Durable ?
Which gives more comfortable ride quality ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is more Reliable ?
Which is more Durable ?
Ertiga comes with the Maruti brand. More reliable, durable. Both will offer excellent ride quality. XUV will be much more plush. XUV is not exactly niggle free though. You can read a lot about it in this forum, that makes it much more of an informed decision.

My BIL who owns an Ertiga took a test drive of XUV (when I was buying Scorpio) & said the car is very much fun to drive. Be it in gear acceleration, handling, gizmos etc. He was very impressed.

Go for the XUV. At your budget all the gizmos will not come, but better that way. I don't think you will regret. It is a fantastic machine. Be ready to spend a bit more Vitamin M.

Thank you Vishwas.
**Manual Air Conditioner is not a big issue.Because my Santro also with a Manual AC.
**TPMS is also not a big deal breaker.
**Driver Seat adjustments is also not a big issue.
**Re-ORVM is also not a must needed feature.
**Auto Headlamps is not a basic need.
**Steering controls and voice commands also not a deal breaker.I can live without them. [:D]

But a only serious issue about the rear parking sensors.According to the xuv design the rear window is too small to see in the car.So it need to be upgraded.
I have a two options,
1* Simple rear view camer and display in IRVM.
2* Changing the 2 din sony or pioneer Head unit with rear camera.

Any commends Vishwas ???
Very well for the XUV W4 then from me [thumbswink], for the rear view option 1 seems fine as it it cost effective (Maybe you can push the dealer as a free accessory) and it is definitely needed

Thank you BHVM.When TATA HEXA will be launch ? Any official or unofficial notifications ?
Hexa launch is around Diwali I suppose.

Tata Safari or xuv ?? which one is more fuel efficient with decent driving on highways ? Someone says TATA Safari giver 9-10 only with AC under 80kmph ?
In this segment whatever mileage you get above 10kmpl is rewarding, because SUV's Crossover's aren't really meant for mileage!

Which is more Reliable ?
Which is more Durable ?
Former is a Crossover and latter is an MPV, so both has different characteristics in the departments of ride comfort, handling, fuel economy and major part A.S.S, you need to prioritize between the above parameters.

IMO if the road presence is considered as a major point, I believe XUV is the clear winner. On the other hand, Ertiga is just a people mover brought mainly to ferry people with comfort also, I can say Ertiga can be used as 5+1 seater (Read, not a full seven seater)

XUV seems to be a better fit for you IMO.

@Old Boy:
Why don't you take a keen look at the BR-V diesel or petrol? It can be a better seven seater occasionally, has got Honda reliability and is good to drive too, in fact its car like to drive any ways.

XUV, Scorpio and the rest like Mobiliio, Ertiga etc., are not 7 seaters. The last row is for kids 5-6 yrs max and will have lot of roll. Also with the 3rd row up, there is no space for luggage, what is the point of 7 seater which takes up the luggage space for long trips.

Probably worth considering the new Cresta/Innova and/or wait for Tata Hexa/Aria. both give more than decent space, power, torque and options for the asks you laid out.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Again, After reading the discussions and knowing your needs better, I can only suggest you one vehicle-

XUV W6 or W4.

Road presence? Check!
Safety? Check! (Better get w8 if possible)
Performance- You bet! You will be leaving mercs behind.
Space & Comfort- Awesome!

>Now for the issues,
I suggest W4 as from your talks, it appears you are not too worried about gadgets & Features. the W4 will keep you away from pesky infotainment Bugs & niggles. W4 shares the same Engine & Mechanicals as the w8, so Ride Quality & Comfort will be same. A Simple 3rd party reverse camera will solve reversing issues. yes, Camera is Compulsory. Make sure to visit experienced installer as Fiddling with wires in XUV is NO NO. Make a separate wiring set even if its a little more expensive.

3rd row in XUV is manageable but not great. IF you want better 3rd row, and if you can skip the Road presence & Performance- Xylo is the only Vehicle for you.

The luggage space in XUV is not too great with seats up. So if you are travelling all 7 people, A Roof Rack is Mandatory.

>About hexa, I think if they work hard, they could launch near diwali. They're readying the Photoshoots now. Which means the vehicle is Complete.

Hello Again, After reading the discussions and knowing your needs better, I can only suggest you one vehicle-

XUV W6 or W4.

Road presence? Check!
Safety? Check! (Better get w8 if possible)
Performance- You bet! You will be leaving mercs behind.
Space & Comfort- Awesome!
3rd row in XUV is manageable but not great. IF you want better 3rd row, and if you can skip the Road presence & Performance- Xylo is the only Vehicle for you.

The luggage space in XUV is not too great with seats up. So if you are travelling all 7 people, A Roof Rack is Mandatory.
[thumbsup]
If so how many bags will the boot accomodate?

>About hexa, I think if they work hard, they could launch near diwali. They're readying the Photoshoots now. Which means the vehicle is Complete.
[lol]

@Old Boy:

XUV - Fun to drive and yada, yada aside, this is not a practical seven-seater! If it's your in-laws who is going to travel a lot with you, go for XUV. If not, then look elsewhere.

BR-V - As much as I hate Honda, I really liked this one. It is much better than Lodgy, Mobilio and even Ertiga. It is by far, decent spaced car and can even termed as 7 seater. As long as your family don't have plenty of 6 footers, the 3rd row is decent place to be in.

The I-DTEC is far better than DDIS from Ertiga and even better than Renaults own K9K engine! It is much more tractable, no more chugging along in ghats and no turbo lag! This is what really made me praise about this car.

So if I were you, I would stay away from XUV for its

* fuel drinking nature
* tight 3rd row and niggles.

Yes, we own one and we know how it is!

Scorpio

* Not a 7 seater
* Not a car like drive, rather UVish like drive!
* Again, mediocre FE!

So if I were you, I would stay away from XUV for its

* fuel drinking nature
* tight 3rd row and niggles.
True, not only XUV but all SUV's in the world are manufactured or born to be fuel thirsty. But still XUV mainly scores the best in the gadgets and gizmos it offers at its price, not even a single manufacturer has given a vehicle much loaded with features at an affordable price.

Top Bottom