Advice on Buying & Restoring 1996 Maruti Esteem AX

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

I am happy to be here as a part of TAI after reading more forums that are revolving with the same site. I have been referring to this site for quite a while and finally decided to write my first thread

As like you all experts, I am also interested on Automobile, this may be because of my dad who had owned and sold [;)]more than 30+ four wheeler till now (All Second hand low budget vehicles [cry]) and with that budget we have faced more issues on road while driving [frustration]. I have no regrets for that because it served well for both for our family to commute and for my dad to explore the engines.

As days pass by, when I was pursing my 3rd year on my career, I have decided to buy a brand new car for the first time for our family. There is when Hyundai i10 Magna joined us with fresh blood which had put an full stop on all our relatives funny gossips about our affordability on buying a new car.

I don't want to further blend my past and about my i10 ownership here on this Esteem forum (Probably will write a new one later).

Even after buying a brand new i10 and driving it for the past 3 years, I always wish to buy an old car (Just like what my dad used to do) and wanted to restore it well.

Here we go to the actual Big picture guys:

I was looking for a low budget sedan since we have a hatchback and through one of my friend,
I came to know that there is a 1996 Esteem AX (Automatic) available for sale.
This vehicle is been in idle condition for more than 3 to 4 years.
This is single owner vehicle
Decent Number
Radiator and Tyre's were installed new and left it unused for years.

Please let me know your comments whether its good to buy an esteem AX (Automatic) and restore it.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I was looking for a low budget sedan since we have a hatchback and through one of my friend,
I came to know that there is a 1996 Esteem AX (Automatic) available for sale.
This vehicle is been in idle condition for more than 3 to 4 years.
This is single owner vehicle
Decent Number
Radiator and Tyre's were installed new and left it unused for years.

Please let me know your comments whether its good to buy an esteem AX (Automatic) and restore it.
Avoid it buddy! Spares of AT won't be easy so restoring it will be a tough task. Moreover its been idle for 4 years, it's engine would surely be in a bad shape. I have a 2006 Esteem Vxi and I find difficult to maintain it at times because of lack of spare's availability even though my uncle has a Maruti Dealership. Apart from that, 96 model means 20 years old and first of all, you'll have to repay road tax, get proper fitness certificate (which I believe will be difficult again as the car is immobile). AT Esteem sold in low numbers and rear to find so even if you plan on restoring, first you / mechanic have to find a donor car. My suggestion would be STAY AWAY!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thank you Akash for your quick reply. I am agreeing with you 100 % on all your points and that really solved my wrong perception about Maruti Esteem.

I spoke to my father regarding the same and he has provided me the below answers, please feel free to write back and correct us:

Yes, Esteem spares are not available easily, but we are from southern part of Tamilnadu where you see more old model cars running (most of them in bad condition [;)] ) like Maruti 800 Type 1, Amby, Fiat Padmini, Esteem, Ford Ikon 1st Gen, Honda City 1st Gen, 90's Jeep etc. So used spared wont be a problem for us. I agree that these vehicles can be even seen in metro cities but the number of vehicles would be really less. Also spoke to the Maruti authorized Service center and they confirmed that spares can be arranged on orders.

There is a work shop where we have parked our esteem now (Yes, we bought it because the price for which we bought is equal to the scrap rate) ) Sorry about that buddy [frustration]) has 2 dead esteems from which we can use the spares.

So with considering all these ups and down, we decided to get the vehicle, spend a little bit to get it in a running condition and see what are all required to be changed. Once the cost is determined and if it falls in a decent budget, we will start the restoration or else we will either scrap it or sell it (Yes buddy, we have got couple of offers for the car in 2 days time [:D] )

So as requested before, share your inputs on my comments.

Thank you

--
V!noZ

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Esteem spares are not available easily, but we are from southern part of Tamilnadu where you see more old model cars running (most of them in bad condition) like Maruti 800 Type 1, Amby, Fiat Padmini, Esteem, Ford Ikon 1st Gen, Honda City 1st Gen, 90's Jeep etc. So used spared wont be a problem for us. I agree that these vehicles can be even seen in metro cities but the number of vehicles would be really less. Also spoke to the Maruti authorized Service center and they confirmed that spares can be arranged on orders.
Buddy, for 96 model Esteem I believe you'll not be able to restore it 100% OEM spec and many parts will be shared from the later year models too. Also, remember, waiting period of spares is quite high. Once due to a storm in Delhi in 2014, my Esteem's front windshield got cracked and it took 8 days to get a 2006 model windscreen even when I stay in Noida and factory is in Gurgaon (Manesar). So for you, the waiting period can be even more.

There is a work shop where we have parked our esteem now (Yes, we bought it because the price for which we bought is equal to the scrap rate) Sorry about that buddy) has 2 dead esteems from which we can use the spares.
Can you confirm the model years of those 2 cars and how long have they been idle? Also, getting mechanical spares from a dead donor car will be another task in itself because after you get that spare part, it is necessary that it should work too which I believe won't be easy.

So with considering all these ups and down, we decided to get the vehicle, spend a little bit to get it in a running condition and see what are all required to be changed
It is not a "little bit" expense needed to make it run. It will need a big sum to make it run and adding to that, the Road TAX and Fitness Certificate is needed as well.

Once the cost is determined and if it falls in a decent budget, we will start the restoration or else we will either scrap it or sell it (Yes buddy, we have got couple of offers for the car in 2 days time)
I would suggest, first take estimates from mechanics. I am sure what you'll end up spending on making it run, that cost, won't be fully recovered if you even sell or scrap it. So, If at all it is needed only then proceed for the restoration else best is to sell it off as it is and earn a humble profit.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #5
Buddy, for 96 model Esteem I believe you'll not be able to restore it 100% OEM spec and many parts will be shared from the later year models too. Also, remember, waiting period of spares is quite high. Once due to a storm in Delhi in 2014, my Esteem's front windshield got cracked and it took 8 days to get a 2006 model windscreen even when I stay in Noida and factory is in Gurgaon (Manesar). So for you, the waiting period can be even more.

Can you confirm the model years of those 2 cars and how long have they been idle? Also, getting mechanical spares from a dead donor car will be another task in itself because after you get that spare part, it is necessary that it should work too which I believe won't be easy.

It is not a "little bit" expense needed to make it run. It will need a big sum to make it run and adding to that, the Road TAX and Fitness Certificate is needed as well.

I would suggest, first take estimates from mechanics. I am sure what you'll end up spending on making it run, that cost, won't be fully recovered if you even sell or scrap it. So, If at all it is needed only then proceed for the restoration else best is to sell it off as it is and earn a humble profit.

Regards

Akash
Sure Buddy, I shall get the estimate and share the same with you.

We have started the car now this afternoon and it seems to be good, unfortunately the brakes are off. So we are fixing it, looks like there is a problem with the brake booster.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks again for taking time to share your inputs[:D]

--
V!noZ

Akash1886

Honoured Member
We have started the car now this afternoon and it seems to be good, unfortunately the brakes are off. So we are fixing it, looks like there is a problem with the brake booster.

Will keep you updated.
For any technical query in regards to your Esteem, please feel free to post / refer this thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...922-central-thread-maruti-esteem-queries.html. Now coming to the braking, Esteem is known for poor brakes so I would suggest, as you have the opportunity to work on them, go for a good / branded aftermarket setup. Brembo can be a good option for this.

I shall be happy to assist you when you require[:)].

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #7
For any technical query in regards to your Esteem, please feel free to post / refer this thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...922-central-thread-maruti-esteem-queries.html. Now coming to the braking, Esteem is known for poor brakes so I would suggest, as you have the opportunity to work on them, go for a good / branded aftermarket setup. Brembo can be a good option for this.

I shall be happy to assist you when you require[:)].

Regards

Akash
Sure Buddy. Will share the next update in a day or 2.

Dear All & Akash,

Here are the pics in as is condition. These were taken before the purchase (Don't get scared by seeing the condition [lol] its in shabby condition). Yet to wash the car.

20160826-084914 (1).jpg

20160826-084943.jpg

20160826-085129.jpg

--
V!noZ

happy to see the restoration of esteem..wising you to complete successfully.still lot of cars from late 80 es and 90 es(ss80,maruti 800 type 1,maruti 1000,padmini,contessa..etc) are their in our roads.and most of them are in good condition too.nowadays demand for old cars are their.also by the involvement of various clubs for these models ,help to reduce scrapping of these models. please upload pics of your esteem and the donor esteem

First a few things to begin with:
Sorry for being late on this thread, since you have already started off the restoration. Here are a few pointers that might help you.

This is a MS Esteem - with a 1000cc 4cyl engine
There are a few parts of the bigger 1.3L esteem that are a direct swap (if needed)

1. Head gasket of old cars (when unused for a long time) tend to give up when you start driving it often / at higher rpms. There are no head gaskets for M1000 available as of now. My friend has a M1000 Manual and we faced the same issue.
2. Source a used 5speed manual gearbox and keep it with you, you never know when the AT might give up.
3. Most dashboard plastics etc are not available (beware - DIY damages to be avoided)
4. Get all 4lower arms removed, painted with any black paint and get the entire bushes changed. The whole bush kit will cost no more than 1000/- This will help you remove any squeaks etc from suspension.
5. Since its a running car, do not make any changes that might make it unusable (even for a short time)
6. Not everything needs to be fixed at once, fix what is repairable, change what is broken, do not touch things that are working fine.
7. any any kind of extra electrical load will hit the dynamo within a short period of time - 100/90 Headlamp upgrade,dual horn, amp, woofer, wider wiper blades, footwell lighting - avoid all these.
8.Spend money on nice interiors, carb overhaul (only if needed) or a simple cleaning of carb would do good.
9. Air filter box with summer/winter mod (available only in pre-2000 model cars) is not available anywhere now.
10. Get the blower cleaned, if AC does not work, no worries let it be like that for now.

11. Focus on repairs that if not done, will cause a breakdown. Then focus on things that make it safer, then aesthetics - last dont do mods, retain stockness of the car.

ALL THE BEST!

Top Bottom