Is Used Tata Indigo Worth Buying?

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

I need to buy a car to learn driving. Don't want to jump into buying a new car right away. I have an option of buying a Indigo 2009 Diesel car with 80k on Odo from a known person for 95k. The person selling the car is trustable source so no worries about odo tampering. Car looks decently maintained inside out. I had just couple of questions :

1) Are Tata's reliable? . I wouldn't have been this apprehensive if the car had a Maruthi logo.

2) In the worst case scenario , what are the components that i might need to replace at 80k to bring the car in shape and how much would those cost? I have already factored in the cost for replacement tyres.

Would appreciate any help regarding the above concern.

Re: Is a used Tata indigo worth buying?

I have an option of buying a Indigo 2009 Diesel car with 80k on Odo from a known person for 95k.
Price seems OK-ish considering the market in south (since it is from a trusted source) 10~15k negotiation should be a good deal though.

1) Are Tata's reliable?
Current gen TATAs improved better in terms of reliability. The subject car's reliability depends a lot on how it was maintained in past. Any piece of metal with proper pampering should last good.

I wouldn't have been this apprehensive if the car had a Maruthi logo.
Be it Maruti or any super brand, it's highly unreliable if passed from bad hands.

2) In the worst case scenario , what are the components that i might need to replace at 80k to bring the car in shape and how much would those cost?
Considering no mechanical parts is changed till date, below ill be the replacement list
- Clutch
- Timing kit
- All belts
- Suspension bushes & dampers
- Brake Rotor and Pads / shoes
- Engine mounts
- Battery

Below needs an attention / check
- Cooling System
- HVAC System
- All electricals

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hello guys,

I need to buy a car to learn driving. Don't want to jump into buying a new car right away. I have an option of buying a Indigo 2009 Diesel car with 80k on Odo from a known person for 95k.
For learning to drive, you may do so in a Wagon R too or maybe a used Alto. There is no such need to spend close to a lac of rupees and still get a car which is 80K kms already run and that too a diesel which is 7 years old. You can look for a used petrol hatchback which is MY 2009-10.

The person selling the car is trustable source so no worries about odo tampering. Car looks decently maintained inside out. I had just couple of questions

1) Are Tata's reliable? . I wouldn't have been this apprehensive if the car had a Maruthi logo.
ODO tampering is not the worry, the thing is being run 80K kms and being diesel and from TATA, I would say even though it may run for another 30-35K kms but at present it will need a proper overhaul foremost. Reliability, I would say, TATA cars are reliable and seldom give major issues unless driven rash or ill-maintained and that can happen even with Maruti too.

2) In the worst case scenario , what are the components that i might need to replace at 80k to bring the car in shape and how much would those cost? I have already factored in the cost for replacement tyres.
As mentioned above, it needs a proper overhaul which includes, Shockers Check/Replace, Suspension Check, Clutch Check/Repairs, All the fluids if required should be changed, Tires you have already included.

Would appreciate any help regarding the above concern.
Buddy, just a suggestion, To learn a car in the most effective way and correct way, make sure your car is technically, mechanically and electrically fit. Also, appoint a person who knows about the car and guides you correctly.

Regards

Akash

Your idea of old car for learning driving --- is not needed, IMHO.

Go to a Good Driving School, instead. They'll take care. Additionally, ASK the instructor on "how to guess where the front tyres are". They'll tell you a nice little tip, that will help you with ANY car in future. AFTER learning from Pros, you NOW have options.

Option 1 : Rent a car for a week or two. This will work out to be much cheaper than spending 95K. Pls check Zoomcar or similar services in Delhi.

Option 2 : If you have to buy an old car, that too only from TATA, try used Indigo e-CS. Reasonably bigger yet has a manageable size for a beginner.

Option 3 : Used Santro or Wagoner will help you see the road better.

Whatever you choose, Pls share with us. Good luck.

I think Indigo is not the correct vehicle to learn driving, however I think if you can get it for 75k to 85k it is a good buy as Tata spares are affordable and most of the tear and wear will get fixed with small bills. please do check the HVAC and GB conditions.

to learn driving, it would say look no further than alto or wagon r. reason is indigo has blind spots which may be discomfort for new drivers. If you still bent on indigo, get it mechanically checked by a mechanic. clutch plates, suspension, brakes.

Indigo's clutch have a jerky feel. which is not a good thing to learn driving.

Top Bottom