What Car? Budget Rs.8 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
I am in the market for a new car. I have already sold my old santro and in the research stage now, hoping to get the new one during the festive season with some discounts. Please give some tips as to how to get the most discounts from the dealers. My budget is approximately 8L, out of which the robber KA govt will take more than 1L.

I will be going for a petrol version, manual transmission. My usage is very less and I want to keep the car for 5-10 years. I probably wont do 50k kms in 10yrs.

Minimum features – abs, dual airbags, power windows/locks/steering. Seat height adjustment is high on priority list but wont be a deal breaker if all else is good. Same case with parking sensors and camera, though these can be added later also.

So far I have looked at some cars, yet to take a test drive for any of these.

I20 sportz – liked the looks and interiors. Wife also loved it (of course, even her mother loves it). Rear visibility might be an issue. Atleast it has parking sensors and camera.

Jazz SV – Even this one is good. Space – reminds me of TARDIS, its bigger on the inside. Good boot, lots of storage bins. City driving might be an issue as per many reviews, will know after test drive.

Baleno zeta– nice, but the 31 weeks waiting period is a nightmare. How is the braking on this car? Is this car very dent prone considering the weight? Still on the list.

Toyota liva V/VX/LE – nice car, both of us liked it, interiors are not much of an issue, there were some hard plastics etc, didnt bother us. Good FE, cheap maintenance, reliability are good to have. Will wait for the facelift version as its supposed to have nicer interiors with some piano black stuff and all that. Since its cheaper than others, I might have budget to put some nice seat covers to make the interiors nicer.

Etios – I like it, wife doesnt. Too big. I told her thats good, and thats the only car thats about 4.3m with a 1.5L petrol engine in this price range. She will hear none of it. Why do we want such a big car with such a big boot. Rejected.

VW polo – rejected, 3 cylinder engine. Absolutely worst example of cost cutting is dropping a cylinder. And now they launch a sedan with that… the VW ASS and spare parts cost also played a role in that.

Aspire/figo – now this one had lousy cheap interiors, much much worse than a Liva in our opinion, the seat fabric was just horrible. The roof liner too. It felt like they used taat as the fabric. After seeing the aspire, pointed towards a figo to my wife and told her – hatchback based on aspire. She told me I dont want to see it. Rejected. Ecosport was nice, but out of my budget.

Bravo – like this car a lot. Trunk is for laptops only and that could be a deal breaker.

Swift – Unstable structure as per ncap. Bad braking. rejected

grand i10 - Unstable structure as per ncap. Rejected.
Xcent – based on grand i10, unstable structure, rejected
Punto – petrol has no safety features. Rejected.

Tata zest – liked this car a lot. Wife's brother told her a lot of bad stuff about tata, he has owned a few in the past. She liked it but wont buy it after talking to her brother. Rejected.

Amaze – can buy a jazz at the same price, rejected.

Tiago – Nice car. Not interested as I can buy a better car, checked it out just for the heck of it. Lot of car for the money. Some one on a tight budget, this could be it.

So basically all the three premium hatchbacks and liva are still in the race, brio is also not fully ruled out.

Now I gotta take test drives, stay tuned.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: What Car

The best would be the elite i20. Your budget is good so you will get abs and airbags in most of the cars you mentioned. You will get good resale as well. Only problem is the engine which is not upto the mark but will do its job for city commute.

The engine in baleno is better than the i20 and is more peppy. But the build quality isn't that good.

Wouldn't recommend jazz if you are going to drive mostly in city. The low end is really poor and you will have to downshift many times to keep going. It was the worst car I ever driven in terms for engine response.

Liva facelift will be coming in the festive season so don't buy the current car.
For you I think i20 will be the best.

I am planning to buy a new car, budget 10L. I'll be driving mostly in city traffic and occasionally broken road. I am thinking of a SUV. But I'll be able to buy only after 2 years (middle of 2019). I need your valuable suggestions. I am currently driving M800.

Thread Starter #4

I am planning to buy a new car, budget 10L. I'll be driving mostly in city traffic and occasionally broken road. I am thinking of a SUV. But I'll be able to buy only after 2 years (middle of 2019). I need your valuable suggestions. I am currently driving M800.
2 years is a long time in the car market. lots would have changed by then, models would have changed, facelifts, some cars dropped, new ones launched. The new crash tests and all those rules will come out next year. You can learn things in the mean time on the net.

I am in the market for a new car. I have already sold my old santro and in the research stage now, hoping to get the new one during the festive season with some discounts. Please give some tips as to how to get the most discounts from the dealers. My budget is approximately 8L, out of which the robber KA govt will take more than 1L.

I will be going for a petrol version, manual transmission. My usage is very less and I want to keep the car for 5-10 years. I probably wont do 50k kms in 10yrs.

Minimum features – abs, dual airbags, power windows/locks/steering. Seat height adjustment is high on priority list but wont be a deal breaker if all else is good. Same case with parking sensors and camera, though these can be added later also.

So far I have looked at some cars, yet to take a test drive for any of these.

I20 sportz – liked the looks and interiors. Wife also loved it (of course, even her mother loves it). Rear visibility might be an issue. Atleast it has parking sensors and camera.

Jazz SV – Even this one is good. Space – reminds me of TARDIS, its bigger on the inside. Good boot, lots of storage bins. City driving might be an issue as per many reviews, will know after test drive.

Baleno zeta– nice, but the 31 weeks waiting period is a nightmare. How is the braking on this car? Is this car very dent prone considering the weight? Still on the list.

Toyota liva V/VX/LE – nice car, both of us liked it, interiors are not much of an issue, there were some hard plastics etc, didnt bother us. Good FE, cheap maintenance, reliability are good to have. Will wait for the facelift version as its supposed to have nicer interiors with some piano black stuff and all that. Since its cheaper than others, I might have budget to put some nice seat covers to make the interiors nicer.

Etios – I like it, wife doesnt. Too big. I told her thats good, and thats the only car thats about 4.3m with a 1.5L petrol engine in this price range. She will hear none of it. Why do we want such a big car with such a big boot. Rejected.

VW polo – rejected, 3 cylinder engine. Absolutely worst example of cost cutting is dropping a cylinder. And now they launch a sedan with that… the VW ASS and spare parts cost also played a role in that.

Aspire/figo – now this one had lousy cheap interiors, much much worse than a Liva in our opinion, the seat fabric was just horrible. The roof liner too. It felt like they used taat as the fabric. After seeing the aspire, pointed towards a figo to my wife and told her – hatchback based on aspire. She told me I dont want to see it. Rejected. Ecosport was nice, but out of my budget.

Bravo – like this car a lot. Trunk is for laptops only and that could be a deal breaker.

Swift – Unstable structure as per ncap. Bad braking. rejected

grand i10 - Unstable structure as per ncap. Rejected.
Xcent – based on grand i10, unstable structure, rejected
Punto – petrol has no safety features. Rejected.

Tata zest – liked this car a lot. Wife's brother told her a lot of bad stuff about tata, he has owned a few in the past. She liked it but wont buy it after talking to her brother. Rejected.

Amaze – can buy a jazz at the same price, rejected.

Tiago – Nice car. Not interested as I can buy a better car, checked it out just for the heck of it. Lot of car for the money. Some one on a tight budget, this could be it.

So basically all the three premium hatchbacks and liva are still in the race, brio is also not fully ruled out.

Now I gotta take test drives, stay tuned.
Hi doors666,

I would suggest you to go for Toyota Etios liva (Limited Edition) petrol 1200cc. This particular model jas all the boxes tick as per your requirement.

The engine response is way better when compared to i20. Toyota has got the piano finish on the center console and the hand rest on all four doors. Mileage is descent. Safety wise you get the airbags and ABS with EBD. 5 start rating NCAP. Diamond cut alloy wheels. Rear spoiler, rear defogger, rear wiper and a descent 251 litres of boot space. It's right now available in 3 dual colour exterior.

1) White & Black ( Which I myself own)

2) Red & Black and the latest one is

3) Blue & Black

I have already driven this car for more then 3000km. Out of which 1000km has been highway and 2000km city driving and I mean almost b2b city driving. The car is easy on your pocket as well as is the case with almost all the Toyota cars.

Space wise I don't think any other hatch can offer the same rear space as liva. Breaking is top notch. Handling is second to none.

After couple of changes , the interior as well as the exterior gives you immense satisfaction. Check out your local Toyota dealer for the limited edition liva. It will cost you around 6.6 to 6.7 lakh on road.

The only thing I found missing was fog lamp, which you can always get installed as per your convenience. And anyways it's price is well within your budget of 8 lakhs with all the features and safety you and family are looking for.

Feel free to reach me or ask me any other details which might help you in making your choice simpler.

Regards,

Suraj Sinha

Go for Elite i20 without thinking twice, best looking interior in its segment, quite safe compared to its rivals, Sportz(O) will cost you below 10L, great Value for Money.
Will not recommend Baleno due to lightweight nature of the car
Big No for Jazz as you’re looking for petrol engine.
Don’t know much about Etios Liva, but if you don’t care about interiors this is also a great car.
Choose your priorities and decide between Elite i20 and Liva

Let me prioritize your shortlisted cars as per general requirement. The list is based on petrol motor.

Engine: Baleno > Liva > Jazz=Brio > i20
Feature: I20 > Baleno > Jazz > Liva > Brio
Safety : Liva> Jazz > i20 > Baleno > Brio
Service : Baleno > Liva > i20 > Jazz = Brio
VFM : Baleno > Jazz > i20 > Liva > Brio

Top Bottom