Dilemma : Suzuki S-Cross 1.6 Vs VW Vento 1.5 TDI MT Vs Hyundai Verna 1.6?

Best Diesel among the Three

• S-Cross 1.6

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Vento 1.5 MT

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Verna 1.6

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Hello Folks , One of my closest buds in planning on selling his 2012 Global Fiesta and is on the lookout for a pretty decent performing diesel Under 15 lakhs . Looking at the market right now the options are limited . You've got the VW Vento , the Verna and the S-Cross , All of them put out over Hundred horses and over 250NM of torque , the others are very mundane compared to these engines . His requirements are pretty simple , the car should be quick and since he does a lot a highway trips it should be able to handle that as well.

1. Me being a guy who screams VAG for life obviously suggested the Vento , it is quick , has brilliant in gear timings and is rock solid on the highways . Only downside is that both of us know the niggles this car has had among our friends circle with the previous 1.6 . So , hopefully things are sorted out on the 1.5 .

2. We test drove the Verna and the first thing I must say is that all the talk about the car acting like a boat at high speeds is just that - ALL Talk . The sales guy was nice enough to let us push it and it surprisingly was really stable while not as great as the Vento it still can handle it's own , I mean it's not like we're pushing this around a race track .

3. We've heard nice things about the S-cross 1.6 , online of course , Even though it was about 1.5 lakhs more than the other two we decided to try it out , I mean 320 NM of torque should be something right ? But once we hit NEXA , they only had the 1.3 available for a TD and we don't not know anyone personally who owns a 1.6. Bummer !

So for the people who currently own/TD a 1.6 S-Cross I'm pretty sure you guys must have cross shopped the other two , How do you guys think the car stacks up against them in the ride , handling and the performance department ? Any suggestions would be much appreciated . Thank You .

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
How much is his usage ? Highway or city ?

I don't think it's worth to spend 2 lakhs on the 1.6 scross variant. Get the scross 1.3 instead.

And the 1.6 variant is only being produced in top variant so you will get old stock if you want a Delta or zeta variant.

Vento will be too costly to maintain compared with these two. Coming from the fiesta he might not like the verna that much due to the handling and suspension.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
My vote is for S-Cross 1.6. Having driven one at the time of launch, I can say that, it is one of the cars from Suzuki which has performance and well designed interiors. Specially the 1.6 is indeed a very powerful performer and this make the S-Cross quite a desirable buy. I believe S-Cross 1.6 is also having some discounts too so you may check for that. The only thing which is a slight miss is 'no provision of Automatic Transmission' as of now.

Regards

Akash

My vote goes to Vento, there are lots of reasons:

- Best Diesel Engine
- Great build Quality
- Most Safe Car in Its Segment, Robust European sedan
- Good Clean looks

ASS is a problem, but they are improving. Engine noise is on the louder side compared to others, if these are not much problem for you. You should definitely go for Vento. [clap]

S Cross 1.6 any day and any time

And the 1.6 variant is only being produced in top variant so you will get old stock if you want a Delta or zeta variant.
I recently visited a NEXA dealer and they confirmed that all versions of 1.6 are being produced but it's built to order now I guess as it will take around a month for the car to reach dealership.

Thread Starter #6
S Cross 1.6 any day and any time

I recently visited a NEXA dealer and they confirmed that all versions of 1.6 are being produced but it's built to order now I guess as it will take around a month for the car to reach dealership.
True but they're offering massive discounts only on the top of the line version . Did you manage to get quotes from the dealer , what was the OR price?

Hi,
Since the main criteria is performance, ask him to go for the S-cross 1.6 without hesitation. Overall it's a superb package if he's fine with the so-so looks.
Cheers.

So for the people who currently own/TD a 1.6 S-Cross I'm pretty sure you guys must have cross shopped the other two , How do you guys think the car stacks up against them in the ride , handling and the performance department ? Any suggestions would be much appreciated . Thank You .
hi there, regarding your query about the ride and handling of 1.6 SCross.... recently my friend and I hunt down a 1.6 variant in Nexa dealership Kollam, Kerala
1.Performance: what the 1.6 outperforms its rivals is the low end torque . As it reaches 320 nm peak at 1800rpm there is plenty of torque even in low rpms which aids in city driving. (I ought to put this under the second tab Handling but needs to be said now bcoz its a TURN OFF. Torque steer and lifeless steering) Nexa claims that the SCross is R and D d exclusively by Suzuki and uses their technology but IMO this car hasnt got the tech to handle that powerful motor.
Back to the ride the initial surge is marvellous and at 3500 rpm the power reaches its peak unlike the 4000 to 5000 rpm in vento etc. This unique tuning provides the lively feel for the engine
But the downside is that there is tapering of power after the 4000 mark bcoz its not actually a free revving engine as in the vento. So i had to quickly do upshifts till i reached the 4th gear while doing around 80. -90 kmph. The steering responded as if it had no connection with the car. It was also crooked to the right so i asked the advisor whether the alignment was off but he had no comments. I guess some part of the imprecise steering was bcoz of this issue.
Overall you get the peppyness of a petrol car as the low end torque but the complete lack of the powerful turbo spooling is evident

2.Handling and dynamics: Two aspects entirely dissappointed me .one was the imprecise steering feel as mentioned and other being the soft BUT comfortable suspension set up. While i was doing 100+ on highways there was torque steer , unpredictable handling due to the lack of steering response and the steering does not get tight in 100+ speeds
In 100kmph slotted in 4th gear the engine had beefy torque for more but then came the SCARY suspension . The steering needed continuous inputs to keep the car in line but the car had very poor straight line stability because the suspension is soft for a car with more suspension travel and i had to slow down at 120. Mayb on expressways one can exploit more .
But the silver lining here is a really pleasant drive comfort in broken and irregularly surfaced roads. It is far more comfy than a vento. It was really evident on taking the car via a rough strip of road which i often go through.

OVERALL THE CAR IS APT FOR CITY DRIVES AND ROADS WITH ROUGH TARMAC AND NOT SO APPEALING ON THE HIGHWAYS

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a 2011 Vento 1.6 TDI Highline and have driven for 108000Kms and still running STRONG. Regular service interval is for 15K kms. Now the service costs comes close to 13K to 15K INR. in VW showrooms. Over the years, VW Service quality had improved a lot. Better than SKODA anyday. The torque is very addictive. I need not mention about the Build quality, ride & handling characteristic of vento.[clap] If you are willing to open up your wallet a little, VENTO is the way to GO. That is how I landed up.

If you need piece of mind, S-Cross. I'm not sure about the handling & ride quality of S-cross but the torque is insane. The fit & finished is also good in terms of Suzuki Product. You've to compromise on boot space and it is also not the Macho looking one either.

For me to upgrade, I don't find any other car than S-Cross in the market today. Look at the pricing of other cars - Inflation [frustration]

Top Bottom